Kilgore @ Carthage Week One

HJR7

Kilgore @ Carthage|Week 1 | 8-26  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you got?

• Carthage
    • Kilgore

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/27/2022 at 12:30 AM

2 hours ago, kdogs00 said:

found this article from before State Championship game in 2013

https://etsn.fm/breaking-down-the-history-of-the-carthage-vs-kilgore-football-rivalry/

The CHS 20-0 win in 1965 was a huge upset. KHS was led by QB Dennis Alexander. CHS hadn’t even scored that year until its 5th game.

Coach Sleepy Reynolds’s first season at CHS was 1973, not 1972. CHS was trying to run the Wishbone in 1970-1972 under Coach Bill Brasher.

The 1992 CHS team has to rank high on the all-time list of best teams to have not made the playoffs. They were state finalists the year before and ranked #1 all of the ‘92 season under returning QB Joey Blissett until KHS spanked them in Martin Stadium. They ended the season having won 24 of their previous 26 games…and sitting at home for the playoffs.

Carthage’s last regular-season loss - home or away - was to Kilgore in October 2016.  There have been more than 50 regular-season wins in a row for CHS since that game in R.E. St. John Memorial Stadium.  

The week before, Carthage lost to Henderson in Bulldog Stadium, which was CHS’s last loss at home.

After that 2016 Kilgore game, Carthage then stood at 0-2 in district play. But they immediately turned things around and won 10 in a row for their 5th state title and the first of 4 state titles over the next 5 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BevBrownJr said:

Carthage’s last regular-season loss - home or away - was to Kilgore in October 2016.  There have been more than 50 regular-season wins in a row for CHS since that game in R.E. St. John Memorial Stadium.  

The week before, Carthage lost to Henderson in Bulldog Stadium, which was CHS’s last loss at home.

After that 2016 Kilgore game, Carthage then stood at 0-2 in district play. But they immediately turned things around and won 10 in a row for their 5th state title and the first of 4 state titles over the next 5 years.

Crickets…

8 minutes ago, kdogs00 said:

anyone know do we buy tickets online only or do they sell at the gate..??

On August 12, Carthage Bulldog Athletics made a post on FB about certain home side seats being made reserve……and if seats were not bought beforehand, they would be available to buy at the gate….based on that, I guess they will sell all available seats at the gate. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

On August 12, Carthage Bulldog Athletics made a post on FB about certain home side seats being made reserve……and if seats were not bought beforehand, they would be available to buy at the gate….based on that, I guess they will sell all available seats at the gate. 

@kdogs00 you want a red seat Fri?  😂

17 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I also have no reason to believe that KGAS won’t video broadcast the game as they have done the last several years, so you ought to have that option too. 

does ol Suratt still do his pregame interview every week??

• Like 1

I didn't make it to the scrimmages, but I know the personnel and Kilgore is going to be salty this year. QB has already been talked about, and he's going to have a large stable of receivers with Tyeskie, Sanders, Wiley, Stoker, and Franklin. Tyeskie is a state champ in track, Sanders is a 6'2" soph with elite potential (yes, son of Nick), Wiley's a 6'2" 3rd year starter as a junior and holds a D-1 offer from Texas Tech among others. 

Isaiah Ross will be "that guy" carrying the ball this year... he's a bruiser that rushed for nearly 1,000 yds last year in relief of a 2,500 yd rusher in Ryder, and he can catch it coming out of the backfield. Roosevelt Rollins and Matthew Hardy will join him in the backfield... and I'd classify all these guys as power running backs with good speed.

Defensively, Peyton Christian at DT will be the guy that OC's game plan around.... Big, fast, strong.  Look for Hardy to be that prototypical Kilgore Lb'er that seems to be in on every tackle. Secondary will probably have a lot of the aforementioned receivers in it. Defensive ends, I don't know much about yet..... O-line either. The performance of those 2 units will probably dictate whether Kilgore is pretty good or pretty great this season.

• Like 1

The game will be won in the trenches. Both teams have athletes out in space. If Kilgore doesn't make big mistakes and control the ball they should have a chance. If they end up 2-0 for the first two games, they might be looking at state and a rematch with CH in the Quarterfinals. 

If Kilgore can stay healthy this year they are going to be more dangerous and better than last year's team. Everyone but Van Zandt will probably be playing a little both ways Kilgore will have talent all over the field. I'm pretty excited to get this season kicked off I usually don't get excited before game 1. But with what we have back from last year and the guys that weren't considered starters they saw significant playing time. Plus the young guys coming up they have definitely been eating their vegetables and cornbread over the summer they have grown tremendously. Win or lose great measuring stick anyways 

I'm ready for this game. I honestly believe alot of people are sleeping on Kilgore. I've been going to practices last few years, and I'll say this. Coach Fuller brings something different to the program, hadn't quite put my finger on yet. And, I hate to compare him to Coach Surratt. But I'd imagine it's the same feeling Carthage fans had when he was hired. You can just feel there's something different.  Best of luck to both teams. Of course I'm pulling for my Dogs of Kilgore. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, HJR7 said:

I'm ready for this game. I honestly believe alot of people are sleeping on Kilgore. I've been going to practices last few years, and I'll say this. Coach Fuller brings something different to the program, hadn't quite put my finger on yet. And, I hate to compare him to Coach Surratt. But I'd imagine it's the same feeling Carthage fans had when he was hired. You can just feel there's something different.  Best of luck to both teams. Of course I'm pulling for my Dogs of Kilgore. 

It’s always exciting to see some new blood, but encouraging as well when it seems there’s an extra positive spark the new coach/coaching staff brings.

We’re going to try to beat your rumps tomorrow night, while also hoping Kilgore continues to see improvement as a program.

Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!!

16 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

It’s always exciting to see some new blood, but encouraging as well when it seems there’s an extra positive spark the new coach/coaching staff brings.

We’re going to try to beat your rumps tomorrow night, while also hoping Kilgore continues to see improvement as a program.

Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!!

Definitely understand. 

• Like 1