Top 2 "Most American Made Cars" Are......

EnjoyLife

Teslas.

Not just the top 2 but 4 of the top 6 are Teslas.

I understand that you guys are ideologically opposed to EV's but this is a good reason to root for Tesla.

I also thought it was interesting that there was only 1 Ford and 1 Chrysler product on the list...and GM was no where to be seen...but Honda was 4 of the top 10 most American made cars.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-10-most-american-made-cars-and-suvs-may-surprise-you-11655839373?siteid=yhoof2

6 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

Teslas.

Not just the top 2 but 4 of the top 6 are Teslas.

I understand that you guys are ideologically opposed to EV's but this is a good reason to root for Tesla.

I also thought it was interesting that there was only 1 Ford and 1 Chrysler product on the list...and GM was no where to be seen...but Honda was 4 of the top 10 most American made cars.

"Just go buy one".

Isn't that the "mantra" now with high gas prices? "Just buy an electric vehicle"?

I think there are some kinks in the technology that still need to be worked out. The charging needs to be faster, and the range needs to be increased.

I have no problem with EV's, but I have a problem with them being pushed as the savior of the planet.  I saw a great Ted Talk explaining that even though the EV has a smaller carbon footprint from the lot to end of life, it starts with a much higher carbon footprint in production.  Also, the range on a purely electric vehicle is not nearly enough for most of rural America.  A hybrid vehicle that uses an electric motor/battery at lower speeds where the combustion engine is less efficient is really what is best.

1 hour ago, Monte1076 said:

"Just go buy one".

Isn't that the "mantra" now with high gas prices? "Just buy an electric vehicle"?

I think there are some kinks in the technology that still need to be worked out. The charging needs to be faster, and the range needs to be increased.

Range isn't all that bad for Teslas .... some models get upwards of 400 miles on a single charge ....

6 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Range isn't all that bad for Teslas .... some models get upwards of 400 miles on a single charge ....

One model does, but it's not produced anymore.  Most are mid 300's which is pretty good.  But then what?  If you have to recharge somewhere it burns a ton of time unless you happen to find an actual Tesla charging station.

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

1 hour ago, JBizzle said:

One model does, but it's not produced anymore.  Most are mid 300's which is pretty good.  But then what?  If you have to recharge somewhere it burns a ton of time unless you happen to find an actual Tesla charging station.

Yes, but you probably have to pay six figures for one.

1 hour ago, JBizzle said:

As I have said before...I think ev's are pretty cool and have a big upside...but I would not buy one yet. I expect that to change in the next few years. Every year range goes up...charging becomes faster and more convenient...and battery cost goes down.  We did not go from a Model T to an Escalade over night........

2 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

We did not go from a Model T to an Escalade over night........

True. But apparently they want us all driving electric cars NOW.

What I think would be cool would be the ability to retrofit a car to make it electric. Or the ability to buy "kits" that you either put together or have a shop assemble for you.

That way, you can still get certain "looks" of cars, but they'd be electric.

Think about someone cruising around in an electric 1968 Camaro, or a 1961 Mako Corvette. Or heck, even an all-electric Lamborghini Countach.