Man works for 27 years at Burger King without missing a day. So his reward is.....

BlahBlah

He gets a 5 dollar bag of candy, and a Starbuck's cup.   

i saw this story trending in Twitter today.  If you want to know why people are leaving the work force, or not entering the work force.  Stories like this are it.  Corporations don't care about their employers.  

https://torontosun.com/news/weird/gift-to-burger-king-employee-with-27-years-of-perfect-attendance-could-be-better

BK made 1 billion dollar profit in 2021.   

This is going to sound bad and it probably is - Why do they owe him anything? He was paid for 27 years and received benefits . When he hired out he agreed to those terms. 

If his local manager wanted to do something I get that. The corporation does not owe him anything more. Burger King has stock holders. That is who they answer to. 

The man shows he has good work ethics - He should have used those skills 25 years ago and moved on from an entry level job. 

Yea it sounds bad no way around it. It is the truth though 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, osup116 said:

This is going to sound bad and it probably is - Why do they owe him anything? He was paid for 27 years and received benefits . When he hired out he agreed to those terms. 

If his local manager wanted to do something I get that. The corporation does not owe him anything more. Burger King has stock holders. That is who they answer to. 

The man shows he has good work ethics - He should have used those skills 25 years ago and moved on from an entry level job. 

My question is this: How far up the ladder did he climb? If he was a "crew member" (or whatever), did he work to climb the ladder? I ask because I worked at a Burger King for about 4.5 years in total, and at the end of my tenure I was an assistant store manager.

Granted, my mother worked in a factory for 25 years and got jack squat when she quit. But her job didn't really have lots of "upward mobility" as it were, because it was just a local company, AFAIK.

Just now, gamewatcher63 said:

So what pray tell do they owe him????

Seems they acknowledge his dedication….however trivial the gift…

They owe him nothing.....they paid him for 27 years.......anyone who works THAT long for a company and does not advance evidently has problems not divulged in the article......

• Like 2

Just a guess, the man probably has mental deficiencies that have prevented him from moving up the Corp ladder.  And yes, a suitable reward would’ve been nice, but realistically I doubt anyone high up at BK was even aware of the (possibly unique) situation.

Ironically, me and a friend were talking last night about the split between employers and employees.  My experience was this division, which had always been tenuous at best, became a great divide (now I’m thinking of Blue Bell ice cream, lol) in the 80’s.  It’s also the same time I started seeing division in the employees.  I worked at the same place from 1968 until 1998.  The first 15 years we (the work force) got along great.  Tight knit.  We’d discuss our families, and how the kids were doing, and for the most part, could trust each other.  Somewhere in the 80’s, that changed.  Guys started backstabbing each other.  Trust became a thing of the past.  It’s like things turned into a dog eat dog atmosphere.  I suppose a forewarning of what we have today.  My oh my, us old folks do rattle on.  I’ll give y’all’s brain & eyes a rest now.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

They owe him nothing.....they paid him for 27 years.......anyone who works THAT long for a company and does not advance evidently has problems not divulged in the article......

I wouldn't necessarily say that. In some cases (i.e. if you work for a small company) there may not be room for advancement.

Like I said previously, my mother worked for the same company for 25 years. I don't know if an opportunity to move up was ever really presented to her or not, but she did become an hourly manager at a fast food place for a bit after she left that job.

Just now, Monte1076 said:

. In some cases (i.e. if you work for a small company) there may not be room for advancement.

It's BURGER KING......as long as he worked there, he should have advanced up the ladder from burger flipper to manager..........something not right with him if he didn't advance......and the ONLY thing they owe him for doing his job is his paycheck..........

11 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Just a guess, the man probably has mental deficiencies that have prevented him from moving up the Corp ladder.  And yes, a suitable reward would’ve been nice, but realistically I doubt anyone high up at BK was even aware of the (possibly unique) situation.

Ironically, me and a friend were talking last night about the split between employers and employees.  My experience was this division, which had always been tenuous at best, became a great divide (now I’m thinking of Blue Bell ice cream, lol) in the 80’s.  It’s also the same time I started seeing division in the employees.  I worked at the same place from 1968 until 1998.  The first 15 years we (the work force) got along great.  Tight knit.  We’d discuss our families, and how the kids were doing, and for the most part, could trust each other.  Somewhere in the 80’s, that changed.  Guys started backstabbing each other.  Trust became a thing of the past.  It’s like things turned into a dog eat dog atmosphere.  I suppose a forewarning of what we have today.  My oh my, us old folks do rattle on.  I’ll give y’all’s brain & eyes a rest now.

They may not have even been aware of him, at all, basically. He was likely just a number on a payroll spreadsheet somewhere.

I think some of the backstabbing and stuff today is either an "office politics" thing (i.e. "I want to get ahead"), or possibly a political game (i.e. "I know Jim's politics, and they're not mine, so I don't like him, so I'm going to sabotage his work, or whatever). With budgets and such, there's only so many people who will be promoted. Some want to be promoted so they can bully subordinates.

Other than that, I don't know.

Also, maybe it's a combination of the "Peter Principle" (i.e. people are elevated to their level of incompetence), and the "Dilbert Principle" (i.e. the incompetent are intentionally moved into management to get them out of the way of the actual competent workers).

5 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

It's BURGER KING......as long as he worked there, he should have advanced up the ladder from burger flipper to manager..........something not right with him if he didn't advance......and the ONLY thing they owe him for doing his job is his paycheck..........

I don't know any more, because I haven't worked there in over two decades, but when I started working food service (a Burger King, believe it or not) if you knew all the stations (i.e. you were willing to learn), showed up reliably, and did your job in a halfway-competent manner, with a halfway decent attitude, you could move up. That's what I did. When I left, I was the assistant at a store where I worked.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Why?? He did what they were paying him to do for 27 years......he should be rewarded for performing what he was paid to do??? 

Why?  Why what?  I said a suitable reward would’ve been nice, not that they owe him one.  In that 27 years of never missing a day, I wonder how many other employees missed work causing problems?  But this guy never did.  Audie Murphy got a chest full of medals in recognition for going “above and beyond” the job he was getting paid for.  Now this guys no Audie Murphy, but 27 years without missing a day, especially in a low paying job, certainly sounds “above & beyond”, so yes, a reward would’ve been nice.  You need more roughage in your diet grump. 

:rofl:

11 hours ago, BlahBlah said:

If you want to know why people are leaving the work force, or not entering the work force.  Stories like this are it.  Corporations don't care about their employers.  

In America people are just a piece of machinery to be used up and thrown away. If capitalism is going to survive in America it needs to evolve from "shareholder capitalism" to "stakeholder capitalism". 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

In America people are just a piece of machinery to be used up and thrown away. If capitalism is going to survive in America it needs to evolve from "shareholder capitalism" to "stakeholder capitalism". 

That's a matter of business structure, though. Publicly-traded companies likely operate differently from LLCs or privately owned corporations.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Why?  Why what?  I said a suitable reward would’ve been nice, not that they owe him one.  In that 27 years of never missing a day, I wonder how many other employees missed work causing problems?  But this guy never did.  Audie Murphy got a chest full of medals in recognition for going “above and beyond” the job he was getting paid for.  Now this guys no Audie Murphy, but 27 years without missing a day, especially in a low paying job, certainly sounds “above & beyond”, so yes, a reward would’ve been nice.  You need more roughage in your diet grump. 

:rofl:

That's whats wrong with the newer generations.....they think they are owed more than the paycheck they are working for.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EnjoyLife said:

2438.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

That's whats wrong with the newer generations.....they think they are owed more than the paycheck they are working for.......

Yeah! Darn the "newer generations" for caring about others or believing that society matters. How un-American! Profits uber alles!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

Yeah! Darn the "newer generations" for caring about others or believing that society matters. How un-American! Profits uber alles!

Don't know if you're in the workforce still or not, but if you are, go to your boss and demand that your company give the next person who retires a gold watch, you know, because it shows they "care about others", and see what happens.

Most of us will get nothing if we work for a company 25 years and then leave/retire.

That's just the simple truth. It has nothing to do with "caring about others".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, osup116 said:

This!!!  Liberals always feel like they are owed something!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hagar said:

Corporations change when the average age of the workforce changes.  Now, where I work, everything has to be done on a database, app, or cloud to even show work has been done.  Tge corporation I work for cares more about data and social politics than the actual work we do.  It’s rather discouraging.  Our corporate level is filling with millineals that sit around and figure out ways to duplicate and replicate our work telling us this will make us more efficient.  I’m in the middle of my career and see the stupidity in it as I’ve seen the ways that things operated successfully in the past.  The young guys just starting out don’t get why we are ticked off about it because they don’t see that we know how success is created in our industry.  I’ve been there for 21 years and it’s the only company I’ve ever worked for.  The young guys are under 30 and have worked for 5-8 different places.  Used to that wasn’t a desirable trait when hiring.  Now HR thinks it brings balance.  Everything is getting bassackwards lately.  

19 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

millineals that sit around and figure out ways to duplicate and replicate our work telling us this will make us more efficient.  I’m in the middle of my career and see the stupidity in it as I’ve seen the ways that things operated successfully in the past.  

1st part: Dilbert Principle or Peter Principle?

Via Wikipedia, Scott Adams quote:

I wrote The Dilbert Principle around the concept that in many cases the least competent, least smart people are promoted, simply because they’re the ones you don't want doing actual work. You want them ordering the doughnuts and yelling at people for not doing their assignments—you know, the easy work. Your heart surgeons and your computer programmers—your smart people—aren't in management. That principle was literally happening everywhere.

And I don't understand why they'd duplicate or replicate processes that already work, other than having multiple people essentially doing the same job. Maybe in case one is sick/on vacation? Why not work toward automating some tasks?

2nd part: I think you're around my age (I'll be 46 later this year). I've seen a lot of things, too. I really hope this stuff isn't being taught in business school. Where I work, it's basically about keeping clients happy. How much code I write/what the project requires is almost irrelevant. Bottom line is: Does the end result work? Is the client happy with it? I keep track of projects I work on, sure. Mainly for "performance review" reasons. I like my bonuses. 😉

As an example, I wrote a tool that (I was told by the client) reduced their workload for a specific task by around 90%. It was tracked, sure, in TFS, but that was mainly for status updates, so other people can see progress.

Of course, I think the team I work on/with is a little bit older, so I don't think we have to worry too much about sniping each other.