Clarence Thomas: 2nd Amendment Protects ‘Individual’s Right’ to Carry Gun Outside Home for Self-Defense

RETIREDFAN1

12 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

I read that from 1791-2008 the SC never struck down as un-constitutional any gun control law at any level. If that is accurate I wonder what has changed? Was the SC wrong for 200+ years?

Yes they were.........

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

I read that from 1791-2008 the SC never struck down as un-constitutional any gun control law at any level. If that is accurate I wonder what has changed? Was the SC wrong for 200+ years?

Do you agree with the premise that one needs a good reason (i.e. "proper cause") to own/carry a firearm? And if so, what constitutes a "proper cause"?

You can think he's making it up, or not, but I recently saw a video where Ben Shapiro said he tried to get a gun in California because of legitimate death threats, presented tons of evidence of said threats, and was still denied under California's "proper cause" restriction. Because, he was told, he could simply call the police.

32 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Do you agree with the premise that one needs a good reason (i.e. "proper cause") to own/carry a firearm?

No. That is why I have never advocated for new gun control laws. Would this country be better off if there were far fewer guns in circulation...yes imo...but with 400,000,000 guns out there it is to late for that and dis-arming law abiding gun owners (like myself) will not stop criminals from doing what they do.

Just now, EnjoyLife said:

No. That is why I have never advocated for new gun control laws. Would this country be better off if there were far fewer guns in circulation...yes imo...but with 400,000,000 guns out there it is to late for that and dis-arming law abiding gun owners (like myself) will not stop criminals from doing what they do.

THAT, if one reads the opinion, is what SCOTUS struck down. That, and they allowed for Conceal Carry in public, not just to allow someone to have a gun ONLY in their home.