Kennedy v. Bremerton School District: Supreme Court rules on coach's right to pray at school games

Monte1076

11 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Why don't you just SAY what was decided and the vote.....nobody wants to read the damn thing .........:rofl:

Have you ever read one of these things?? They put ALL of the opinions together.

But as best I can tell...

Respect for religious expressions is indispensable to life in a free and diverse Republic—whether those expressions take place in a sanctuary or on a field, and whether they manifest through the spoken word or a bowed head. Here, a government entity sought to punish an individual for engaging in a brief, quiet, personal religious observance doubly protected by the Free Exercise and Free Speech Clauses of the First Amendment. And the only meaningful justification the government offered for its reprisal rested on a mistaken view that it had a duty to ferret out and suppress religious observances even as it allows comparable secular speech. The Constitution neither mandates nor tolerates that kind of discrimination. Mr. Kennedy is entitled to summary judgment on his First Amendment claims. The judgment of the Court of Appeals is Reversed.

And that was 32 pages into a 75 page document.

2 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Have you ever read one of these things??

No....I wait for the news to report it.....all I care about is the decision and who voted how.....usually get THAT from simply reading the headline......:rofl:

Just now, RETIREDFAN1 said:

No....I wait for the news to report it.....all I care about is the decision and who voted how........:rofl:

You want them to report it correctly though, right? That's why I take a look at things like this, and things like bills that the media covers. To make sure it says what they're actually reporting.

5 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

All I want is what was the decision and who voted how.......even the libnut propagandists get THAT right.......

Ok...

GORSUCH, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which ROBERTS, C. J., and THOMAS, ALITO, and BARRETT, JJ., joined, and in which KAVANAUGH, J., joined, except as to Part III–B. THOMAS, J., and ALITO, J., filed concurring opinions. SOTOMAYOR, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which BREYER and KAGAN, JJ., joined.

7 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

I'll wait for the news report.....that didn't tell me anymore than the first one you posted......:rofl:

It was a 6-3 decision in favor of the coach. Gorsuch, Roberts, Thomas, Alito, Barrett, and Kavanaugh (except for a certain section). Thomas an Alito filed "concurring" opinions.

Breyer, Kagan, and Sotomayor dissented.

Just now, Monte1076 said:

It was a 6-3 decision in favor of the coach. Gorsuch, Roberts, Thomas, Alito, Barrett, and Kavanaugh (except for a certain section). Thomas an Alito filed "concurring" opinions.

Breyer, Kagan, and Sotomayor dissented.

Thank you........:rofl:

• RETIREDFAN1 changed the title to Kennedy v. Bremerton School District: Supreme Court rules on coach's right to pray at school games
58 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I had a feeling this was the way it would go.  It wasn't mandated for other athletes.  People have simply gone too far with the separation of Church and State theme that they want to spew.  

Exactly. First off freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion...and second off the phrase "Seperation of church and state" does not appear anywhere in the US Constitution. I wonder how many folks that spout that phrase actually know that?

11 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

Exactly. First off freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion...and second off the phrase "Seperation of church and state" does not appear anywhere in the US Constitution. I wonder how many folks that spout that phrase actually know that?

Not only that, but IMHO people misinterpret (whether purposefully or not) what the religion clause of 1A actually says. No one has passed any law "respecting an establishment of religion". At least to my knowledge.

• Like 1