Cowboys Front Office: Incompetent, uncaring, unlucky, all of the above?

The last time the Cowboys won a Super Bowl was the 1995 season, Super Bowl XXX.

We're now getting ready to go into the 2022 season. So it's been twenty-seven seasons since the Cowboys last hoisted the Lombardi.

Is this the sign of an incompetent front office (i.e. they don't know what they're doing) since it's widely thought that Jerry and/or Stephen call all the shots? Is it a sign of an uncaring front office, since the franchise is worth billions of dollars and we keep watching? Or is it simply 27 years of bad luck? Or some combination thereof?

I would not call the front office incompetant since the team has won several division titles and is a little over .500 during that stretch...but I would call the front office "very, very mediocre". Coaches come and go...players come and go...but the results are the same...therefore I have to look at the only consistent...and that is Jerry (and now Stephen). I do believe Jerry wants to win...but the only thing he wants more than that is to be in charge. I think Jerrys biggest problem is that he is so passionate about the Dallas Cowboys that it causes him to make some poor decisions (like a man that is passionate about a woman often makes poor decisions) and that results in him falling in love with players and paying good players like they are great players (Zeke is exhibit A).

2 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Jerrah loves 3 things: 1. Cameras. 2. Entertainment. ..... And most importantly 3. Money. 

I don't think Jerrah really cares if Dallas wins another SB while he's alive. 

Jerry loves winning above all else. However, NFL teams are a business and need to make money. Jerry has kept such a good product here that the Cowboys will make money winning or losing. Make no mistake about Jerry's passion to win. He has since let Stephen make more of the decisions but Jerry is still in the room discussing it all. 

21 minutes ago, spacegolfer said:

Jerry loves winning above all else. However, NFL teams are a business and need to make money. Jerry has kept such a good product here that the Cowboys will make money winning or losing. Make no mistake about Jerry's passion to win. He has since let Stephen make more of the decisions but Jerry is still in the room discussing it all. 

If he really likes winning he might wanna take a page out his friend playbook to start winning championships again. His friend: the Rams owner, he's just won a SB, a Lacrosse title and just days ago a Stanley Cup within a 6 month span and has one of the best basketball teams in the NBA.

Hopefully it works out soon for ole Jerrah as far as winning BIG again, of course after a few more SB appearances by the Rams. 😎

6 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

I would not call the front office incompetant since the team has won several division titles and is a little over .500 during that stretch...but I would call the front office "very, very mediocre". Coaches come and go...players come and go...but the results are the same...therefore I have to look at the only consistent...and that is Jerry (and now Stephen). I do believe Jerry wants to win...but the only thing he wants more than that is to be in charge. I think Jerrys biggest problem is that he is so passionate about the Dallas Cowboys that it causes him to make some poor decisions (like a man that is passionate about a woman often makes poor decisions) and that results in him falling in love with players and paying good players like they are great players (Zeke is exhibit A).

Dak is exhibit B ....

2 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

Wanting to win, and knowing how to win are different things.

He has 3 Super Bowls that prove he knows how to win. Teams change all the time. All kinds of reasons a team does not get more Super Bowls. The drive has always been there and everything from coaching, injuries, bad decisions, refs, Goodell and a whole plethora of reasons the Cowboys have not won. Jerry is not one of those reasons.

• LOL! 1

On 6/29/2022 at 9:35 PM, spacegolfer said:

He has 3 Super Bowls that prove he knows how to win. Teams change all the time. All kinds of reasons a team does not get more Super Bowls. The drive has always been there and everything from coaching, injuries, bad decisions, refs, Goodell and a whole plethora of reasons the Cowboys have not won. Jerry is not one of those reasons.

So, aside from possibly cheating, how do you explain the Patriots winning six Super Bowls since 2000? There have been 26 Super Bowls since the last time Dallas won one. SIX of them have been won by NE. Other teams have won more than one over that time. Why can't Jerry figure that out? You think it's the "genius" of Belichick? The ownership of Robert Kraft?

So what's the issue? Since Jimmy left (under whatever circumstances people believe), there's been ONE Super Bowl (built with, I believe, Jimmy's team). Since Super Bowl XXX, Dallas has had SIX coaches. None of them have brought a Super Bowl to Dallas.

Jimmy went 44-36 in the regular season, and was 7-1 in the playoffs with TWO Super Bowls.

Without Jimmy...well...

Switzer went 64-40 in the regular season, 5-2 in the playoffs, with a Super Bowl. Since then? Well, after Switzer, Gailey went 0-2 in the Playoffs. Dave Campo didn't make the playoffs at all, Parcells went 0-2, Phillips went 1-2, Garrett went 2-3, and so far McCarthy is 0-1. That's a COMBINED playoff record since Gailey took over of 3-10! With ZERO Super Bowls.

Johnson and Switzer combined for a 108-76 regular season record, and a COMBINED three Super Bowls and a playoff record of 12-3! Over NINE seasons!

Also, here's a little breakdown of Cowboys record by decade:

Decade Wins Losses Percent
1960's 67 65 0.508
1970's 105 39 0.729
1980's 79 73 0.520
1990's 101 59 0.631
2000's 82 78 0.513
2010's 86 74 0.538

And by ownership:

Owner Wins Losses Percent
Under Murchison 214 119 0.643
Under Bright 36 36 0.500
Under Jones (to date) 288 241 0.544

And under Murchison, that includes the record of Dallas as a newly-formed team.

It boils down to two words: Jerry Jones.

• 1 month later...

I don't think Jerruh and his inner circle know how to evaluate talent and put together the right pieces, including players, coaching, development and management .... their biggest flaw is Jerruh/Stephen as general managers and defacto head coaches .... they are rolling in the dough and as long as that continues, they are basically satisfied ....

5 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Yea, they gonna be kicked back at home in their rècliners watching the playoffs .... 🤣

What the what? Not even possible. On XM radio McCarthy says they're better than ever. They will still be down there on the sideline but they'll hold the little tablets and headsets and help them backups finish out the regular season. Oh they may play the first drive or the first quarter to stay tuned up. Trueup.

• LOL! 1

I liked that we signed the USFL's MVP and TCU alum KaVonte Turpin.  He had a 98 yard TD Kickoff return and a 68 yard TD Punt Return against the Chargers.  I realize that he has family violence and battery issues from his past, and why he was kicked off the TCU football team and then undrafted.  Hopefully, he's matured and moved away from his past.  

• Thanks 1