Dave Campbell preseason top 10 4A-D2

lionpride08

12 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

Are we talking about the Hirschi team that lost to ANNA last fall.   LOL.  Yes they made a good run playing nobody! 

Teams grow as the season wears on...go watch the state semifinal of Hirschi going toe to toe with Stephenville and tell me they weren't a legit team...now they have some questions, they had some graduation losses on defense that hurt and they lost one of the real great young coaches in the state IMO....but they are still a very potent outfit that won't be blown away by the speed and physicality East Texas teams bring to the table...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Teams grow as the season wears on...go watch the state semifinal of Hirschi going toe to toe with Stephenville and tell me they weren't a legit team...now they have some questions, they had some graduation losses on defense that hurt and they lost one of the real great young coaches in the state IMO....but they are still a very potent outfit that won't be blown away by the speed and physicality East Texas teams bring to the table...

Yep

2 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Watched that game in person. WFH was every bit as good as SVille & wasn’t scared or intimidated a bit. They will be fine. 

13 hours ago, MattStepp said:

I did see that score and do understand that was a close game vs. a state champion.   BUT that is the only game on their schedule that I would call a TOUGH game.   Yes Springtown and Dumas were late playoff games but let’s be real honest about how tough they are.  I’m also not saying they are a bad team.   I agree with LG Eagle saying Hirschi probably wins the region.   I don’t see much in Reg 1.   Glen Rose will probably be their test.  Time will tell how they match up with Reg 2 with the likes of Gilmer, Carthage, PG & possibly Pitt.  I will be glad to eat crow when they beat one of those.

4 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

I did see that score and do understand that was a close game vs. a state champion.   BUT that is the only game on their schedule that I would call a TOUGH game.   Yes Springtown and Dumas were late playoff games but let’s be real honest about how tough they are.  I’m also not saying they are a bad team.   I agree with LG Eagle saying Hirschi probably wins the region.   I don’t see much in Reg 1.   Glen Rose will probably be their test.  Time will tell how they match up with Reg 2 with the likes of Gilmer, Carthage, PG & possibly Pitt.  I will be glad to eat crow when they beat one of those.

Thing is the dont have to play all those teams...they just have to play one....I feel pretty good about Hirschi at 3 to start the year....if they hadnt lost their coach and his son who was the leading returning tackler, they'd probably have started the year at #2

1 hour ago, BlackShirtD said:

Yes "Pitt" is always a factor. I bet WFH has had many discussions about the potential for playing "Pitt". Probably thankful that they only face teams who lack the pedigree of Pitt, like "Graham". 

3 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Yes "Pitt" is always a factor. I bet WFH has had many discussions about the potential for playing "Pitt". Probably thankful that they only face teams who lack the pedigree of Pitt like "Graham". 

I am not from Pitt and never have lived there………If you are talking the last 10-20 years, you are correct…….But Pitt’s pedigree includes 1980 - pound for pound a top 10 team all time in Texas, probably top 5……..I don’t think they beat Dfield of 1983 but maybe one in twenty times but would be some great games. 

9 hours ago, cotton84 said:

I am not from Pitt and never have lived there………If you are talking the last 10-20 years, you are correct…….But Pitt’s pedigree includes 1980 - pound for pound a top 10 team all time in Texas, probably top 5……..I don’t think they beat Dfield of 1983 but maybe one in twenty times but would be some great games. 

Definitely not talking about what Pitt did 40 years ago. No relevance to WFH in 2022. WFH would currently view Pitt as a "bye to the next round".  

10 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Yes "Pitt" is always a factor. I bet WFH has had many discussions about the potential for playing "Pitt". Probably thankful that they only face teams who lack the pedigree of Pitt, like "Graham". 

Ok, I threw Pitt in the mix due to them playing 12 games last year with a new head coach in Abrams.  Also, they played Gilmer and PG extremely close last fall.  Pitt will be solid this fall.   I will also throw in Van and LE from Reg 2 that would give Reg 1 fits.   Nothing against Hirschi, good luck to them.   I think the last 4a state champ from region 1 was Abilene Wylie in 2016.   Before Wylie when was the last 4a Title from reg 1?    Someone research and let us know.   

11 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Thing is the dont have to play all those teams...they just have to play one....I feel pretty good about Hirschi at 3 to start the year....if they hadnt lost their coach and his son who was the leading returning tackler, they'd probably have started the year at #2

Yes….CARTHAGE

Ok, I threw Pitt in the mix due to them playing 12 games last year with a new head coach in Abrams.  Also, they played Gilmer and PG extremely close last fall.  Pitt will be solid this fall.   I will also throw in Van and LE from Reg 2 that would give Reg 1 fits.   Nothing against Hirschi, good luck to them.   I think the last 4a state champ from region 1 was Abilene Wylie in 2016.   Before Wylie when was the last 4a Title from reg 1?    Someone research and let us know.   

Got it. You give Pitt credit for "playing 4AD2 Gilmer and PG close" but do not offer the same logic to WFH for playing Stephenville close in 4AD1 Semifinal. Wonder if WFH dropping down in classification could help them? I have seen examples of higher classifications occasionally being more difficult than lower classifications. 4AD1 SMF team returning 12 starters and simultaneously dropping a classification is usually a recipe for success.  

• Like 1

Wylie didnt win state in 2016, they lost to Carthage....

All teams aren't built the same, typically Region I really struggles because teams from out west often lack the speed at the skill spots to matchup with teams from DFW/East Texas in the semifinals, so when they run up against teams with that type speed and quickness all over the field, its a shock and they struggle...that's not an issue with Hirschi which is why IMO they should be not be lumped in as a "typical Region I team"

• Like 2

Stepp is dead on the $. WFH is like a good DISD Team. Kinda reminded me of SOC. Size on lines (not quite as big as SOC though) and also speed to burn at skill positions. If you haven’t seen them, you should not comment. They are different than any other WestTex team. They’ll be fine. That state semi made a believer out of me. Now, with that said, losing that coach could be a killer. There’s always a chance it’s a death blow. We shall see. 

10 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Wylie didnt win state in 2016, they lost to Carthage....

All teams aren't built the same, typically Region I really struggles because teams from out west often lack the speed at the skill spots to matchup with teams from DFW/East Texas in the semifinals, so when they run up against teams with that type speed and quickness all over the field, its a shock and they struggle...that's not an issue with Hirschi which is why IMO they should be not be lumped in as a "typical Region I team"

Oh wow your right.  Wylie lost to Carthage in 16 and lost to Gilmer in 09.    I thought Wylie won 1 of those.   Well if Hirschi does win it all that will be a 1st in a loooong time for reg 1 to come out on top.   

10 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Got it. You give Pitt credit for "playing 4AD2 Gilmer and PG close" but do not offer the same logic to WFH for playing Stephenville close in 4AD1 Semifinal. Wonder if WFH dropping down in classification could help them? I have seen examples of higher classifications occasionally being more difficult than lower classifications. 4AD1 SMF team returning 12 starters and simultaneously dropping a classification is usually a recipe for success.  

Sure I did.   I said before I saw that they played S-Ville close.  Congrats for playing them tough.   Again, I am not downing Hirschi by any means.   My point is that I just don’t remember when region 1 had a state championship at the 4A division or the old 3a division.   With the success from region 2 (Gilmer, PG & now Carthage) of late it will be tough IMO for the winner to come from reg 1.  If Hirschi does it this fall it will be a first in a while.  

• Like 3

On 7/4/2022 at 10:10 AM, LetsGoEagles said:

Will Van be good this year? They lost that QB who was most of what they had. Did the tall receiver grad? 

QB and receiver graduated. Lost a lot but still returning few playmakers. I expect there will be lots of young'uns so we'll see how they adapt. The freshman team looked pretty good last year.

• Like 1