Conference Realignment

Valhalla

On 7/20/2022 at 4:25 PM, txk85 said:

arent there minimum capacity requirements for D1 football stadiums? was thinking it was like 30k but never understood why when most of them only see maybe 10k on a good day.

yes, unless they have dropped that...and aside from the 30k capacity...I believe prior to jumping you had to average over like 20k for a season

22 hours ago, BlahBlah said:

Stephenville HSfootball  draws more fans than Tarleton.  

Stephenville’s bond didn’t pass, they may not have a place to play football next year if they can’t get something passed.  I think Tarleton doesn’t want to share or something weird is happening there

15 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Stephenville’s bond didn’t pass, they may not have a place to play football next year if they can’t get something passed.  I think Tarleton doesn’t want to share or something weird is happening there

Did see where one of Stephenville's games this year got moved to Dublin because of an event planned by Tarleton already taking place at the stadium.  

1 hour ago, BlahBlah said:

Did see where one of Stephenville's games this year got moved to Dublin because of an event planned by Tarleton already taking place at the stadium.  

I think after 2022 their lease with Tarleton is up and they won't be sharing anymore.  Sounds really strange if that's the actual case.

• 9 months later...
59 minutes ago, Mojo1000 said:

And Texas….. let’s not forget that.

Nebraska was fine with the unequal revenue sharing in the Big 12 in the 90s when they were the top dog. 

It only became an issue once they were below Texas and Oklahoma in the pecking order.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

$$$$

10 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Nebraska was fine with the unequal revenue sharing in the Big 12 in the 90s when they were the top dog. 

It only became an issue once they were below Texas and Oklahoma in the pecking order.

I can't disagree with that. 

Grass isn't always greener on the other side though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

This is true. There was a lot of bitterness at the end .  

On 5/30/2023 at 2:29 PM, Mojo1000 said:

I believe they’re better off in the Big 12 . I bet the Utah , Arizona & State join them. 

That should put Washington and Oregon in the B1G.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Valhalla said:

It’s just for 2024 hopefully.

I believe when they see it is not in the best interest then you will see a nine game model. This protect three rivals and lets you see every one in a four year period. However, you’re open for one less gimme game for bowl eligibility. I believe it you truly holding out on that you don’t deserve it. The extra home game maybe the real reason for not wanting it.

15 minutes ago, Mojo1000 said:

I believe when they see it is not in the best interest then you will see a nine game model. This protect three rivals and lets you see every one in a four year period. However, you’re open for one less gimme game for bowl eligibility. I believe it you truly holding out on that you don’t deserve it. The extra home game maybe the real reason for not wanting it.

I think they want to see how a 2 or 3 loss team from the SEC vs a 1 loss team from a weaker conference is treated in the new 12 format before they super commit to anything.

20 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Beginning in 2024, with the arrival of UT and OU, the SEC will begin a 1-7 schedule. 8 conference games with one permanent opponent. No divisions. 

That is something I never realized until today. 

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I think they want to see how a 2 or 3 loss team from the SEC vs a 1 loss team from a weaker conference is treated in the new 12 format before they super commit to anything.

Which is why the new schedule is only for one season. They can adjust it easily for 2025 if need be. This could also be due to some issues that haven’t been made public yet, like perhaps further conference expansion. If conference leaders are in behind-the-scenes talks with potential future members, they would want to make the schedule as flexible as possible. 

On 6/5/2023 at 4:53 PM, Mojo1000 said:

IMG_1602.jpeg

So if this happened one would assume UW and UO go to the B1G. Az St and Utah to the Big 12. Does the SEC play the long game and pillage the ACC when it's reasonably cost effective? Does ND stay independent? What's the limit on mega conferences, 20 teams? 24?

3 minutes ago, Baron said:

So if this happened one would assume UW and UO go to the B1G. Az St and Utah to the Big 12. Does the SEC play the long game and pillage the ACC when it's reasonably cost effective? Does ND stay independent? What's the limit on mega conferences, 20 teams? 24?

I believe Washington and Oregon are waiting on an invite. It all depends if usc /ucla would allow imo. You gotta think there had to be some discussion.  I think Colorado and Arizona schools and Utah see the writing on the wall and jump ship. ND stays independent as long as they can. ( Special treatment) ect… like it or not they have a massive following mainly due to the catholic population and lesser degree a blue blood premier institution. ( Namely why they beat out A&M for a playoff spot ) . 20 or 24 is too much. Your best bet is going to pod system if that happens. There aren’t too many big programs left. The pac may cease especially if the Big ten grabs Washington and Oregon. Cal and Stanford aren’t out the question either. The AAU status is extremely important to the Presidents and such. Washington st and Oregon st maybe headed to the Big 12 as well. I believe that would be in their best interest. Imagine if you will

Big 12 West 

1.Utah 

2.Colorado 

3.Byu

4.Arizona 

5.Arizona St

6.Oregon St 

7. Washington St 

8. San Diego st

9. Stanford 

10. Cal 

11. Fresno state 

Big 12 East

1.Oklahoma St

2.Houston 

3.Tcu

4.Baylor

5.Texas Tech 

6.Iowa st 

7.Kansas St 

8.Kansas

9.West Virginia 

10.UcF

11. Cinci. 

Seems like a lot but great conference. 

I would prefer just adding the four corner schools and maybe Washington  st and Oregon State and calling it a day. 

1. Oregon st

2. Utah

3. Washington st

4. Colorado 

5. Arizona 

6. Arizona State 

7. Kansas 

8. Kansas st

9. Byu

1. West Virginia 

2. Tcu

3. Houston