Conference Realignment

Valhalla

Big10 wish list is ND, Oregon, Washington and Arizona State. I think they probably pick up Stanford if ND insists on staying independent. The top of the SEC’s list (according to TRUEBLUE) is Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina and VaTech. Putting UNC and Kentucky in the same league is huge for basketball. The SEC is still very traditional in wanting to maintain a “footprint” where all of its schools are in states that border another. UNC and VaTech are big gets for the TV markets they represent, which is what is driving all of this. Florida State and Clemson are the two biggest brands not already nailed down, aside from ND, which will probably support immersion baptism before they move to the SEC. 

29 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I’m going to defer to the more knowledgeable SDCers on this question. Isn’t the ACC harder to get out of financially than other conferences? 

They have a grant of rights that is pretty extreme until 2036.

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2022 at 7:58 AM, Stoney said:

I’m going to defer to the more knowledgeable SDCers on this question. Isn’t the ACC harder to get out of financially than other conferences? 

Those institutions will rely on conference buyout help or just for the conference to implode itself.

18 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I think now that the pac 12 is done we see automatic bids in place for the power 4 if they stay at 4 team playoffs. 

Bring back the bcs and do away with the committee.  Take the 4 conference champs and seed them per  bcs rankings

19 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Bring back the bcs and do away with the committee.  Take the 4 conference champs and seed them per  bcs rankings

I’m cool with that. This playoff committee is worse than just having two bcs teams play. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I think now that the pac 12 is done we see automatic bids in place for the power 4 if they stay at 4 team playoffs. 

Why would the SEC or Big 10 agree to give an automatic bid to any conference except for themselves at this point. 

Those dummies should not have tanked the 12 team model because they were butt hurt about the OU/Texas jump to the SEC.

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Why would the SEC or Big 10 agree to give an automatic bid to any conference except for themselves at this point. 

Those dummies should not have tanked the 12 team model because they were butt hurt about the OU/Texas jump to the SEC.

I mean I agree, I’m just trying to please the “real playoff” crowd on here. I personally think it should be the top 4 teams regardless of where they come from. Select it by computer rankings that factor in points per drive for and against, SOS along with SOS of opponents. I don’t care about top 25 wins against inflated polls. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

I mean I agree, I’m just trying to please the “real playoff” crowd on here. I personally think it should be the top 4 teams regardless of where they come from. Select it by computer rankings that factor in points per drive for and against, SOS along with SOS of opponents. I don’t care about top 25 wins against inflated polls. 

We’ll be to the point soon where there are no ooc games if we’re not careful.  Why have mega conferences if you’re only playing division games and ooc?  With 16 teams you could play 7 Div, 4 cross Div and 1 ooc.  There willbe little to no comparing teams in separate conferences.  I would still prefer an 8 team playoff, but if there’s 4 then use conference chanpions.

Lamar, who went an impressive 0-27 against DI opponents in basketball this year, has left the WAC effective immediately to rejoin the Southland Conference. Lamar was scheduled to leave in 2023. Both Lamar and UIW leave just a month before the season starts, and their games against WAC competition have been removed from their schedules. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

17 hours ago, topher805 said:

Lamar, who went an impressive 0-27 against DI opponents in basketball this year, has left the WAC effective immediately to rejoin the Southland Conference. Lamar was scheduled to leave in 2023. Both Lamar and UIW leave just a month before the season starts, and their games against WAC competition have been removed from their schedules. 

Good move. Had a hard time understanding why they left the Southland in the first place. 

6 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Good move. Had a hard time understanding why they left the Southland in the first place. 

I don’t disagree that going back is a good move. I hate they decided to do it a month before the season started. 

I’m interested to see what happens with the WAC going forward. UIW and Lamar are gone (Not a heartbreaker). Sam Houston and New Mexico State are gone (Stings). Tarleton is building for a FBS move and I feel like ACU is as well. 

SFA needs massive renovations and upgrades for football, baseball, softball, and soccer to move FBS. I think they are pretty set at FCS and honestly I like them better there. I just wonder what happens with the WAC down the road. 

4 minutes ago, topher805 said:

I don’t disagree that going back is a good move. I hate they decided to do it a month before the season started. 

I’m interested to see what happens with the WAC going forward. UIW and Lamar are gone (Not a heartbreaker). Sam Houston and New Mexico State are gone (Stings). Tarleton is building for a FBS move and I feel like ACU is as well. 

SFA needs massive renovations and upgrades for football, baseball, softball, and soccer to move FBS. I think they are pretty set at FCS and honestly I like them better there. I just wonder what happens with the WAC down the road. 

SFA needs to join the Sunbelt......

On 7/12/2022 at 3:01 PM, topher805 said:

Crazy that Tarleton and ACU have moved from D2 to FCS in the last couple of years and now trying to move to FBS. Do they have the facilities in place to go FBS? Are they both still in the WAC?

4 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Crazy that Tarleton and ACU have moved from D2 to FCS in the last couple of years and now trying to move to FBS. Do they have the facilities in place to go FBS? Are they both still in the WAC?

Both are still in the WAC. ACU has the facilities in place. Tarleton is doing massive upgrades across the board. Football is about to have phenomenal facilities and baseball just announced a massive renovation project. I’m not fond of their basketball arena, but I’m sure it is on the short list to get upgrades as well. 

Tarleton is definitely the most ambitious school around. ACU is good where they are, but Tarleton has been very open that they have nigh higher aspirations. 

• Like 1

ACC is locked into their current tv contract until something like 2036. Dabo must be sweating bullets right now. Clemson can not remain a national power with SEC and Big 10 teams tv revenue running $70,000,000 a year more than in the ACC.

On 7/14/2022 at 12:52 PM, topher805 said:

Both are still in the WAC. ACU has the facilities in place. Tarleton is doing massive upgrades across the board. Football is about to have phenomenal facilities and baseball just announced a massive renovation project. I’m not fond of their basketball arena, but I’m sure it is on the short list to get upgrades as well. 

Tarleton is definitely the most ambitious school around. ACU is good where they are, but Tarleton has been very open that they have nigh higher aspirations. 

arent there minimum capacity requirements for D1 football stadiums? was thinking it was like 30k but never understood why when most of them only see maybe 10k on a good day.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...