UPDATE: UIL gives two-year playoff ban to Alto

ChicoEsquela

Hate it for the kids, but support the decision by the UIL.  I have no idea who the responsible parties were, but suspect it was conspiracy of a combination of members of the athletic department, school personnel at the high school, and the parents of the three students. I did NOT watch the hearings, so my thoughts of what happened are just that … my thoughts.

During realignment, we witness speculation of Classification enrollment cutoff numbers. Fans are not the only ones speculating, so are the coaches. If your school is on the cutoff bubble, those coaches are calling to find out the school’s enrollment as the “Snap Shot” date approaches. You have several dads close to the program concerned about their kid’s playoff success by moving up a classification that unenroll their kid before “snap shot” date. The kid goes to class because they may be unaware what their parents did. Did the Superintendent know … possibly no. Did the high school principal know … possibly no. Were coach(es) aware … probably. Were parents involved … probably. Was someone involved with enrollment involved … good chance (but probably trusting the BS of someone else). Were others asleep at the wheel … definitely … teachers that took attendance of the 3 students and failed to sent kids to the office of figure out the issue.

Hate it for the kids and the current coaches, but the UIL has to make examples to prevent future behavior by schools. If any of the former coaches were involved, the UIL should publicly reprimand them and put them on extended probation.

Not sure why folks think the board is responsible as they “oversee the policies of the district” and not the day to day. The Superintendent signs off on the snap shot numbers, but doesn’t conduct a personal head count. But someone will have to be the fall guy.

5 hours ago, Lambo said:

You wonder how long alto been doing this? Strip them of all wins in program history. Atleast strip them of the state championships

You’re an embarrassment to the Joaquin community saying stuff like this. 

5 hours ago, Lambo said:

You wonder how long alto been doing this? Strip them of all wins in program history. Atleast strip them of the state championships

More literary excellence from the more genetically isolated region of Texas.

Obviously it’s horrible for the kids and new coaching staff. The real issue is the UIL punishing kids for adult mistakes, they were one kid over the limit not 50. 2 year post season ban is harsh and unfair. If the UIL claims to really be about the kids like they say they do they wouldn’t take 2 post seasons from kids. Find a way to punish the adults responsible is what should have happened.

• Like 1

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: UIL gives two-year playoff ban to Alto
2 hours ago, Mox4 said:

Obviously it’s horrible for the kids and new coaching staff. The real issue is the UIL punishing kids for adult mistakes, they were one kid over the limit not 50. 2 year post season ban is harsh and unfair. If the UIL claims to really be about the kids like they say they do they wouldn’t take 2 post seasons from kids. Find a way to punish the adults responsible is what should have happened.

Exactly how is the UIL going to punish the adults responsible? UIL has zero power over school employees. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mox4 said:

If UIL would have let them play and make the playoffs then how is it fair to whoever finishes 5th and should be in the playoffs?  What's the coach supposed to tell his team? "Sorry kids, we should be playing another week in the playoffs, but a team that should be in the next division up gets to take your spot."  UIL made the right call.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

These "who tattled" and "who cried foul" comments boggle my mind.

IF......IF... this was done purposely.... it's the VERY definition of cheating.

The UIL has Classification and alignment for a reason.   It's to enforce competitive balance.

IF Alto fudged their numbers so that they would be a big fish in a little pond instead of a little fish in a big pond..... that's cheating. 

Why vilify the whistleblower?  If this was done purposely..... the villains were the ones that thought it was ok to lie to the UIL.

Not arguing against the ruling at all.

It wasn't proven that this was done on purpose.  We don't have records, emails, texts that say someone decided to remove 3 students from the roll to get in D2.  For all we know it was a mistake.

I agree that there are classifications for a reason, but It's 3 kids.  It's not like that gave them a significant advantage over the other teams in the division.  Let's not blow it out of proportion.

That being said, I agree with the punishment.  I believe also that Alto ISD should hire people to get to the bottom of what happened and if it was intentional, there should be some jobs lost.

• Like 2