UPDATE: UIL gives two-year playoff ban to Alto

ChicoEsquela

57 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

We are 40-6 in district since 2015….. four district titles. No fourth place finishes.  Nice try though.

I forgot some people think certain programs are above the rules and make excuses when they get caught. 

Haven't made one single excuse for anyone.  Won't make an excuse for anyone.  You do the crime, you do the time.  Guess the largest enrollment will just be the state champion every year!

As someone who has coached the largest enrollment school in my division at the end of one realignment and then the next year had the smallest enrollment in the next larger division I can tell you it does make a difference....especially on the subvarsity level which effects how your participation is later on the varsity level.   There is no solution to the issue, someone has to be the smallest in the division, but it is not much fun.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, neveragain said:

As someone who has coached the largest enrollment school in my division at the end of one realignment and then the next year had the smallest enrollment in the next larger division I can tell you it does make a difference....especially on the subvarsity level which effects how your participation is later on the varsity level.   There is no solution to the issue, someone has to be the smallest in the division, but it is not much fun.

This. 
That’s ALL I’ve been saying. 
That 2-3 number fudge makes a difference to those smaller schools who otherwise wouldn’t even be facing said team. 

Downplaying it belittles the entire reason we even bother with alignment and classification.  

If 3 isn’t a big deal… is 15?  30?  80?  When does it become a problem for those that say it’s being blown out of proportion? 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

This. 
That’s ALL I’ve been saying. 
That 2-3 number fudge makes a difference to those smaller schools who otherwise wouldn’t even be facing said team. 

Downplaying it belittles the entire reason we even bother with alignment and classification.  

If 3 isn’t a big deal… is 15?  30?  80?  When does it become a problem for those that say it’s being blown out of proportion? 

Didn't say it doesn't make a difference.

Tell Allen they will be 7A all by themselves...

31 minutes ago, ChiefRedCloud said:

But you posted what difference does 3 students make. You are saying it doesn't make a difference.

I said it wasn't a huge deal and let's not blow it out of proportion.  Having more kids obviously means there is a larger number of kids to put on the team, but it's not the end-all, be-all.  If that was the case, we would just have an enrollment contest and put enrollment on the scoreboard.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 3:09 PM, neveragain said:

According to the Alto superintendent, the coach was let go sometime in the winter months...she says no one was aware of the enrollment until May so if everyone is correct on the timeline then Coach Gamble had nothing to do with it.

my thing, the AD wouldn't be the person enrolling or unenrolling students...or 

On 8/3/2022 at 10:46 AM, ChiefRedCloud said:

Exactly how is the UIL going to punish the adults responsible? UIL has zero power over school employees. 

Fine the school district, put the people at hand on probation, but don’t punish the kids.

3 hours ago, Mox4 said:

Fine the school district, put the people at hand on probation, but don’t punish the kids.

The UIL can't fine the school district ... they did the only thing they could do as far as punishment goes ....

• Like 2

To me the "head scratcher" in this whole thing is the timing of the letter submitted containing the allegation.

Whomever submitted it had to have knowledge of this event, they were either close to it or gained it from someone that was and did so out of retaliation or had an axe to grind against the district. Six month window in between keeps everyone in play.

Solve this "who done it" and that will help everyone understand why this can of worms was opened. I suspect it is known privately.

I do look forward to seeing how the Yellowjackets fare with their seemingly Div 1 / Div 2 schedule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PostSurfer said:

To me the "head scratcher" in this whole thing is the timing of the letter submitted containing the allegation.

Whomever submitted it had to have knowledge of this event, they were either close to it or gained it from someone that was and did so out of retaliation or had an axe to grind against the district. Six month window in between keeps everyone in play.

Solve this "who done it" and that will help everyone understand why this can of worms was opened. I suspect it is known privately.

I do look forward to seeing how the Yellowjackets fare with their seemingly Div 1 / Div 2 schedule.

If colonel sanders didn’t want his secret recipe revealed then he probably shouldn’t have fired the cook 

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

13 hours ago, Mox4 said:

A fine does absolutely no good in this situation. What they did wasn’t done for monetary gain. It was done for success on the football field. In addition, kids are going to be punished by this one way or the other. If a school that should rightfully be D1 is allowed to compete in D2, D2 kids are being punished. The right decision was made, however painful it may be. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dropkick said:

I may have missed it but does the penalty apply to all sports for two years or only football?

Football only. Football is the only thing that is divided into D1 and D2. It would only make a difference if the numbers were the difference in keeping them in 2A instead of moving to 3A. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, grinder said:

if we know it was 3 people we should know 3 names. if said 3 people don't play sports at all then where do you stand?

Do all of the students at any school participate in athletics? No. The classification numbers aren’t set based on athletic participation. They’re set based on overall enrollment. That’s the rule, it’s been that way for decades, and it was broken. That’s why the punishment was handed down. Rules without enforcement are useless. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, grinder said:

i realize not all kids play sports. my deal is why not go by numbers that actually play sports then classify by that number other than total kids in school

Garrison ended up in a higher classification several recent alignments because of transfer students that the majority of which didn’t participate in sports ... The last two realignments that we ended up in what is now 3ADII we were pushed up into 3A due to 35-40 transfer students we "inherited" ... I see what you are saying, but basing realignment on sports participation would be practically impossible to forecast  ...  the UIL sets the guidelines and the schools have to abide by it .... the one thing I believe they should change and makes 100% sense, at least to me, is basing the new alignment on 8th grade through 11th grade instead of 9th through 12th grade .... the 12th grade class they are counting won’t be there the next two years during the new realignment ...

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama
  • Like 2

The number of students in each sport varies....some schools have a large number out for football but minimal out for volleyball or basketball.  Which sport would be the driver for realignment and what do you do if more or less come out than anticipated?  Would girls' sports be tied to the number of football players? 

I think the enrollment process used by the UIL is the best way to keep the field level.  Even if students choose not to participate, they at least have the same opportunity as schools of their relative same size.  It is up to the coaches, parents, peers, and other stakeholders to get the participation level up.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, grinder said:

i realize not all kids play sports. my deal is why not go by numbers that actually play sports then classify by that number other than total kids in school

Because school isn’t about football. Athletics is part of the school experience. What if a school has low participation numbers for football but their girls basketball program gets 25-30 kids that play AAU ball year round? What about band kids? Band contest are divided by classification just like football is. Queen City would rule 2A band contests. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PostSurfer said:

“AD/HFB left, counselor gone, anonymous letter in April, Hearing in August.”  

This line is from your previous post.  I’d say you likely named the source.

On 8/3/2022 at 7:34 AM, TomBrady said:

You’re an embarrassment to the Joaquin community saying stuff like this. 

I'm 100% sure the Joaquin Community all know who I am and realize it was severe sarcasm. I do have to get better at expressing sarcasm on the Internet.

7 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Garrison ended up in a higher classification several recent alignments because of transfer students that the majority of which didn’t participate in sports ... The last two realignments that we ended up in what is now 3ADII we were pushed up into 3A due to 35-40 transfer students we "inherited" ... I see what you are saying, but basing realignment on sports participation would be practically impossible to forecast  ...  the UIL sets the guidelines and the schools have to abide by it .... the one thing I believe they should change and makes 100% sense, at least to me, is basing the new alignment on 8th grade through 11th grade instead of 9th through 12th grade .... the 12th grade class they are counting won’t be there the next two years during the new realignment ...

I think the problem with counting kids in 8th grade is larger school districts that pool from several junior high schools. If that can be done, then, counting 8 through 11th grade would be a more accurate representation of your high school the following two years

• Like 1