Hopes raised for College Football Playoff expansion agreement as interest in 16-team model grows

5 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

16 teams with all conference champions and some wild cards IS a real playoff.......

My mistake I read it wrong. I thought it was only wanting the power 5 as guaranteed then the rest at large. 

• LOL! 1

On 7/29/2022 at 8:11 PM, WETSU said:

My mistake I read it wrong. I thought it was only wanting the power 5 as guaranteed then the rest at large. 

That is what they want.  I heard an interview with an AD about it a few weeks ago on ESPNU radio

On 8/8/2022 at 3:33 PM, PelvisPresley said:

When they're ready to go to 16...colleges will be fussing that only 6 at-large to go amongst the "big conferences" will not be enough...will need 24-32. 

I'm sure the NCAA basketball tournament had a fuss each time to raise the bar to 68 or whatever it is now.

The NCAA basketball tournament at 64 was perfect.  Now they’ve confused it all…. 68 is about 20% of NCAA d1 basketball schools

More than 16 in football would put tons of irrelevant teams in it.  16 teams is about 15% of FBS teams.

15 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

The NCAA basketball tournament at 64 was perfect.  Now they’ve confused it all…. 68 is about 20% of NCAA d1 basketball schools

More than 16 in football would put tons of irrelevant teams in it.  16 teams is about 15% of FBS teams.

I'm in total agreement with that approx 15% threshold for it...

I like to see great teams in a playoff because I'm a believer that ANYTHING is possible from an upset aspect when something bigger is on the line.

I've been on the downside twice of only conference champs getting auto-bids and then XX amount of teams at-large (as long as those were in a certain geographical region)...had my college tennis teams 20-4 and 21-3 respectively and ranked in the top 13 nationally left out as conference runners-up.