Preseason Coaches Poll

Lobo97

The three that stand out to me...

Clemson - How exactly do you validate the #4 ranking?!

USC - Shouldn't be ranked at all, let alone Top 15. 

Cincinnati - Finished 4th in the Final poll, and they start 22?

Oh, and who in the world voted Texas #1?! (For the record, Sark did not have a vote)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

Oh, and who in the world voted Texas #1?! (For the record, Sark did not have a vote)

I mean we can’t ask what teams did to validate their rankings and not mention Texas at #17. I mean your description for USC is just as fitting for Texas. 

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

Whomever voted our Longhorns #1 has been smoking some wacky tobacky! 

14 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I mean we can’t ask what teams did to validate their rankings and not mention Texas at #17. I mean your description for USC is just as fitting for Texas. 

I wouldn't compare the two at all. While both teams added some quality players through the transfer portal, Texas already had talent last year. USC had very little. Texas simply needs to finish. USC needs a better team.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I wouldn't compare the two at all. While both teams added some quality players through the transfer portal, Texas already had talent last year. USC had very little. Texas simply needs to finish. USC needs a better team.

Texas has just as much holes as USC imo. I know you don’t agree but that defense was not anywhere near good last year. The oline is relying on 3 freshman to be perfect in their first year, and a QB that’s never taken a snap in live action regardless of what his hype is. USC at least has the proven QB part which is one of the most important ones…. 

For the record I don’t believe either should be ranked. I’m not arguing for one but not the other. I’m just simply stating I think both are very similar in terms of where they are as a program and then being overranked. 

Just now, Lobo97 said:

@WETSU, like it or not, the very reason you may think Texas is overrated, one could make the same claim about A&M. USC, on the other hand, is a completely different story.

I can see A&M being overranked. Not going to argue that too much. They are young in the front 7 and QB is still a question mark. 

6 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I can see A&M being overranked. Not going to argue that too much. They are young in the front 7 and QB is still a question mark. 

But at the same time everyone not named Bama has just as many questions if not more. Including teams like Clemson and Georgia. 

My point is you don’t go 5-7 and lose to Kansas and think you’re “close” to being a top 17 team. There’s more cultural and mental issues at Texas than there are physical ones, and that’s just as big of factor in their over ranking imo. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

But at the same time everyone not named Bama has just as many questions if not more. Including teams like Clemson and Georgia. 

My point is you don’t go 5-7 and lose to Kansas and think you’re “close” to being a top 17 team. There’s more cultural and mental issues at Texas than there are physical ones, and that’s just as big of factor in their over ranking imo. 

That's exactly my point though. You can fix mental issues quicker than you can build a talented football team. Texas did go 5-7 last year, but anyone who watched them play knows full well that they were better than a 5-7 football team. THAT is why they are still ranked. That being said, I'd have no problem if they were ranked lower either, I'm just explaining why I think the situation with Texas and USC are different. I do not believe USC was a good football team last year. Not even close. And while they added a few good players via the portal, I don't believe it was enough to make that much of a difference. They were more than just a couple pieces away. 

5 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

What have they done in the past 15 years that warrants a top 25 ranking? .... They have been pathetic the past 5 years .....

3 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

That's exactly my point though. You can fix mental issues quicker than you can build a talented football team. Texas did go 5-7 last year, but anyone who watched them play knows full well that they were better than a 5-7 football team. THAT is why they are still ranked. That being said, I'd have no problem if they were ranked lower either, I'm just explaining why I think the situation with Texas and USC are different. I do not believe USC was a good football team last year. Not even close. And while they added a few good players via the portal, I don't believe it was enough to make that much of a difference. They were more than just a couple pieces away. 

When you have elite QB play it can mask all kinds of issues. That QB transfer is much more important than what was already on the roster. It’s not like they have recruited at a mid major level. Like Texas, they are still “talent” wise better than majority of their schedule. 

Where Texas is concerned, I HIGHLY disagree that culture and mental issues are easier to repair than physical ones. Is Texas talented enough to win 10 games against their schedule? Yes. But they have been for the last 10 years. Not once in 10 years has Texas ever entered a season behind the 8 ball in the big 12 in terms of physical talent. Even a down year at Texas talent wise is a upgrade compared to the other teams not names OU. 

10 minutes ago, WETSU said:

When you have elite QB play it can mask all kinds of issues. That QB transfer is much more important than what was already on the roster. It’s not like they have recruited at a mid major level. Like Texas, they are still “talent” wise better than majority of their schedule. 

Where Texas is concerned, I HIGHLY disagree that culture and mental issues are easier to repair than physical ones. Is Texas talented enough to win 10 games against their schedule? Yes. But they have been for the last 10 years. Not once in 10 years has Texas ever entered a season behind the 8 ball in the big 12 in terms of physical talent. Even a down year at Texas talent wise is a upgrade compared to the other teams not names OU. 

If you have the right coach, mental issues can absolutely be fixed. 
And I don’t believe Caleb Williams is elite. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

If you have the right coach, mental issues can absolutely be fixed. 
And I don’t believe Caleb Williams is elite. 

Are we sure they have the right coach though is the issue. I know there’s hope but it’s still unproven. 

I also think Caleb Williams is a top 10 QB in college football in that system. I mean he was a true freshman last year. If you told me to pick between him and Ewers I’m taking the proven commodity right now. 

5 hours ago, WETSU said:

The Kansas comments are just getting old. It was a horrible game by our defense. One of many. You guys lost to Miss St who got hammered by Texas Tech - a team we hung 70 on by the 3rd quarter. 

I’m not going to compare Texas to anybody. 17 seems fair given the pickups in the portal and the talent already there. The culture has to change, and I think the incident on the bus last year proves it’s heading in the right direction. This season is going to be tough. As of now, we play four teams in the Top 11. I know we will score points. We need the defense to step up quicker than they’re probably ready to do. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

The Kansas comments are just getting old. It was a horrible game by our defense. One of many. You guys lost to Miss St who got hammered by Texas Tech - a team we hung 70 on by the 3rd quarter. 

I’m not going to compare Texas to anybody. 17 seems fair given the pickups in the portal and the talent already there. The culture has to change, and I think the incident on the bus last year proves it’s heading in the right direction. This season is going to be tough. As of now, we play four teams in the Top 11. I know we will score points. We need the defense to step up quicker than they’re probably ready to do. 

How does the incident on the bus prove anything? It proved a coach had fire but why was the fire needed in the first place. And who leaked that video? I promise you that’s not the first case of a Texas coach trying to get loud with his team and inspire them. It’s not like the last 3 staffs just were totally soft from day one. Every single one of them came in and said the same things and every single time the message boards talked about how the problem was on its way to being fixed. 

8 hours ago, WETSU said:

How does the incident on the bus prove anything? It proved a coach had fire but why was the fire needed in the first place. And who leaked that video? I promise you that’s not the first case of a Texas coach trying to get loud with his team and inspire them. It’s not like the last 3 staffs just were totally soft from day one. Every single one of them came in and said the same things and every single time the message boards talked about how the problem was on its way to being fixed. 

Strong started of good but seemed to go into shock at times. He was in over his head. Our last guy was too much of "one of the guys." A grown up frat boy at times. I fell Stark is off to a good start. 

18 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Texas, USC, Kentucky, Pitt… we are supposed to believe that these schools are 8-9 win teams and good enough to deserve the benefit of the doubt preseason ranking based on their carryover from last year?  

I just don’t see it.  And I am not rooting LSU’s horn saying they should be top 25 this year either, but I would put $100 on them lining up week 1 and beating the dog crap out of USC, Kentucky and Pitt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lhornfan said:

Strong started of good but seemed to go into shock at times. He was in over his head. Our last guy was too much of "one of the guys." A grown up frat boy at times. I fell Stark is off to a good start. 

How though? The team quit on him last year. 

16 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Well in that case he's doing a hell of a lot better this year than I thought. 

You know what I meant… Not literally quit the team, just laid down and stopped fighting there at the end.