Preseason Coaches Poll

Lobo97

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Texas, USC, Kentucky, Pitt… we are supposed to believe that these schools are 8-9 win teams and good enough to deserve the benefit of the doubt preseason ranking based on their carryover from last year?  

I just don’t see it.  And I am not rooting LSU’s horn saying they should be top 25 this year either, but I would put $100 on them lining up week 1 and beating the dog crap out of USC, Kentucky and Pitt

I can understand the feelings for Texas from both sides. I get the reasoning from those that believe they're overrated to start the season. However, most people believe it's not a lack of talent that's the problem. So if they can put the attitude together, I also understand the reasoning behind those that agree with the ranking.

USC is ranked solely because they hired Riley.

Pitt, I agree. They lost their star QB and WR. Not sure why their expectations are high.

As for Kentucky and LSU. Kentucky won 9 games last year, including beating the 'dog crap' out of LSU. LSU lost the one good part of their offense, the QB. I completely get why Kentucky is highly thought of entering the season, and LSU is not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

I can understand the feelings for Texas from both sides. I get the reasoning from those that believe they're overrated to start the season. However, most people believe it's not a lack of talent that's the problem. So if they can put the attitude together, I also understand the reasoning behind those that agree with the ranking.

Pitt, I agree. They lost their star QB and WR. Not sure why their expectations are high.

As for Kentucky and LSU. Kentucky won 9 games last year, including beating the 'dog crap' out of LSU. LSU lost the one good part of their offense, the QB. I completely get why Kentucky is highly thought of entering the season, and LSU is not.

LSU as a whole last year was a mess.  I guarantee you we see 8 wins out of LSU.  My actual prediction is 9.  I don’t know that we see 8 wins out of Kentucky 

18 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

LSU as a whole last year was a mess.  I guarantee you we see 8 wins out of LSU.  My actual prediction is 9.  I don’t know that we see 8 wins out of Kentucky 

Does anybody else think this is one of those years where Auburn win 9 or 10?  Seems like everytime they are picked last or low is when they have these type of years.  They've got some pieces to actually be pretty good.

Oh @MavGrad99 my neighbors brother played for LSU, think back in Les days?  Brothers name is JD Moore, played Fullback.

37 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Well, you have 4 automatically with your OOC schedule. 

I think they lose to Alabama, Arkansas, and A&M. That gives room for error in just 1 other game. Tennessee, Ole Miss, and Florida will all be toss-ups, IMO. 

I'm not saying they can't win 8 games, but I do think it's far from a guarantee. I think they're closer to 6 than 8. 

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

This, combined with the LA media is trying to speak it into existence, and the fact that Riley can't/won't keep his damn mouth shut.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I absolutely think Texas is talented. Not national title contenders but when you look at the schedule there’s only 1 team I that I think they are physically outmatched and that’s bama. There are three questions about this team for me. 

1. Is Ewers what everyone thinks he is. If he’s elite it can lead to a huge year. If he’s not what everyone anticipated and is just slightly above average or average then it changes this team drastically. 

2. will the defense improve. Even if the offense is great the defense has to be batter. Especially the pass rush. 

3. Will this team fold under adversity? They folded when pushed last year and mailed it in the final few weeks after OU. That could be the difference in 6-7 wins and 10-11 wins. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I absolutely think Texas is talented. Not national title contenders but when you look at the schedule there’s only 1 team I that I think they are physically outmatched and that’s bama. There are three questions about this team for me. 

1. Is Ewers what everyone thinks he is. If he’s elite it can lead to a huge year. If he’s not what everyone anticipated and is just slightly above average or average then it changes this team drastically. 

2. will the defense improve. Even if the offense is great the defense has to be batter. Especially the pass rush. 

3. Will this team fold under adversity? They folded when pushed last year and mailed it in the final few weeks after OU. That could be the difference in 6-7 wins and 10-11 wins. 

I completely agree with most of this. The only one I would slightly alter, is point 3. I don't think the 'team' folded, until they saw that the QB had completely quit. At that point, and after already blowing 3 consecutive double digit halftime leads, I think they'd simply had enough and didn't care anymore. 

Either way, I believe it's these same three points that has led to them being ranked in the preseason poll. I believe those that voted for them, did so on the potential they see. 

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

Well, you have 4 automatically with your OOC schedule. 

I think they lose to Alabama, Arkansas, and A&M. That gives room for error in just 1 other game. Tennessee, Ole Miss, and Florida will all be toss-ups, IMO. 

I'm not saying they can't win 8 games, but I do think it's far from a guarantee. I think they're closer to 6 than 8. 

The only separation of LSU, UT, USC, Tenn, and Florida’s records this season will be the play of their QBs.  LSU will be on point this year,  but lacking in 2 games, Alabama, and A&M.  And if A&M’s QB sucks, LSU could shock them too.  The SEC is once again weak, and will be dominated by 2-3 teams.  Everything else at the end of the day will be SEC SEC SEC hype.

These people pretending like OU will be 2nd fiddle to OSU or Baylor this year are clowns.  The Big XII will be equally as disgracefulas the SEC, and be propped up by the 2 Oklahoma schools and possibly Baylor.

Don’t get me started on the ACC and PAC XII…. The Big 10 is the only balanced conference this year where I believe 5 schools stand a legitimate threat to winning their conferences 

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

The only separation of LSU, UT, USC, Tenn, and Florida’s records this season will be the play of their QBs.  LSU will be on point this year,  but lacking in 2 games, Alabama, and A&M.  And if A&M’s QB sucks, LSU could shock them too.  The SEC is once again weak, and will be dominated by 2-3 teams.  Everything else at the end of the day will be SEC SEC SEC hype.

These people pretending like OU will be 2nd fiddle to OSU or Baylor this year are clowns.  The Big XII will be equally as disgracefulas the SEC, and be propped up by the 2 Oklahoma schools and possibly Baylor.

Don’t get me started on the ACC and PAC XII…. The Big 10 is the only balanced conference this year where I believe 5 schools stand a legitimate threat to winning their conferences 

I actually think Tennessee is a sleeper. That offense will be scary in year two.