Honoring Black high schools that are no longer open

cujoforlife

• cujoforlife changed the title to Honoring Black high schools that are no longer open

I would absolutely love it if MHS would honor Pemberton HS by wearing Purple and Gold.

The Pemberton school facility, team name, and team colors were adopted by Marshall 9th graders in 1980 when the current high school opened for grades10-12.  Freshman attended Pemberton.

Marshall 9th Graders played as Pemberton Panthers from 1980 until the late 80's when the 9th grade wing was opened at MHS.

The Pemberton building is now a part of the Wiley College campus.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I would absolutely love it if MHS would honor Pemberton HS by wearing Purple and Gold.

The Pemberton school facility, team name, and team colors were adopted by Marshall 9th graders in 1980 when the current high school opened for grades10-12.  Freshman attended Pemberton.

Marshall 9th Graders played as Pemberton Panthers from 1980 until the late 80's when the 9th grade wing was opened at MHS.

The Pemberton building is now a part of the Wiley College campus.

Nice history. Emmett Scott building was torn down because of health reasons. Now Texas college uses the field as a practice field

3 minutes ago, cujoforlife said:

Nice history. Emmett Scott building was torn down because of health reasons. Now Texas college uses the field as a practice field

https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/lifestyles/pemberton-high-school-120-years-later/article_f58d2877-451c-5550-92a0-21d9c935f4dc.html

GREAT article from the Marshall News Messenger about PHS.

I stand corrected.  I thought 9th graders were moved to PHS in 1980, but they were moved in 1970 when MISD integrated.

So Marshall 9th graders played as Pemberton Panthers from 1970-1988 when they moved to MHS.

Wiley College has done an outstanding job with Pemberton's legacy.  The PHS Campus has been made into the Pemberton Heritage Center.

From what I understand.... the auditorium is still used and the gym is used for intramurals.  No idea what the rest of the facility is used for.

I feel a research project coming on.

Pemberton3.jpg

pemberton2.jpg

pemberton1.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Wiley College has done an outstanding job with Pemberton's legacy.  The PHS Campus has been made into the Pemberton Heritage Center.

From what I understand.... the auditorium is still used and the gym is used for intramurals.  No idea what the rest of the facility is used for.

I feel a research project coming on.

That is awesome.

I've tried starting something for Womack, and I'm sure I'll give it another go down the road...but man alive, it has been a struggle to find even one mention about the Leopards anywhere from a Longview stand point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

That is awesome.

I've tried starting something for Womack, and I'm sure I'll give it another go down the road...but man alive, it has been a struggle to find even one mention about the Leopards anywhere from a Longview stand point.

I'd love to set-up a "throwback" game with Lufkin or somebody, with both school wearing "alts" of the former black schools in their community. It'd be a heckuva story. Might even help bring some Womack players (and stories!) out of the woodwork. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LOL said:

I'd love to set-up a "throwback" game with Lufkin or somebody, with both school wearing "alts" of the former black schools in their community. It'd be a heckuva story. Might even help bring some Womack players (and stories!) out of the woodwork. 

Longview wearing purple and gold against Lufkin, would definitely be something LOL

• LOL! 2

1 hour ago, GoBigBlue said:

I don't think I ever saw a picture of the all black school's football team in Daingerfield.  I know they turned it into the Jr. High and my grade was the last to use their Gym.  It's a cool idea.

Who was their rivals back in the day?

5 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Longview wearing purple and gold against Lufkin, would definitely be something LOL

Well Lufkin would be in black I think. I wonder if Nacogdoches is going to Wear the school uniform of their black high school in that game against Lufkin?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Hmmm, maybe we could make it mostly gold, with a teensy bit of purple trim.  ;) 

• LOL! 1