Honoring Black high schools that are no longer open

cujoforlife

19 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/lifestyles/pemberton-high-school-120-years-later/article_f58d2877-451c-5550-92a0-21d9c935f4dc.html

GREAT article from the Marshall News Messenger about PHS.

I stand corrected.  I thought 9th graders were moved to PHS in 1980, but they were moved in 1970 when MISD integrated.

So Marshall 9th graders played as Pemberton Panthers from 1970-1988 when they moved to MHS.

Not in 1983 and 1984 when I was an 8th grader and 9th grader at Pine Tree.  They were the Marshall Maverics those two years.  They played as the Marshall Red and White Mavericks.  In those years 14-5A was divided for 8th grade and Freshman teams into a North and South division.  We never played a Pemberton team.  

5 hours ago, Bclove05 said:

I know we had a black school but not sure if there was a football team. Probably didn’t have enough players to field one. 

Most towns and cities did before 1970.  I know Longview did with Womack High School.  I know they used Old Lobo Stadium for football on Nelson St. across from the Golden Point.  Schools were integrated when I went to school so it was long before my time.  The Longview Negro High School Begins Classes - African American Registry (aaregistry.org)

Hallsville had Galillee High School.  Future Dallas Cowboy Robert Newhouse graduated from there.  It was on Galillee Road on the east side of 450 on the south side of town.  Once desegregation happened it became a part of the HISD campus system.  I went there in the 6th gade.  The football field was just a bit east of the campus.  That property currently houses the HISD Ag Farm.

The campus has since been torn down.

7 hours ago, Eagle8 said:

Tried to dig up some stuff on Mayflower in Tatum. Unfortunately couldn't find much on the net. Here's a current pic of it overgrown with trees and brush. Long ago they used to do a small trades day there once a month. 4a2395da-b0ab-4e40-b749-4ce72fba1abb.png

What you wanna know bout the Flower? I got a book on them

On 8/8/2022 at 10:12 PM, Mavchamp said:

Wiley College has done an outstanding job with Pemberton's legacy.  The PHS Campus has been made into the Pemberton Heritage Center.

From what I understand.... the auditorium is still used and the gym is used for intramurals.  No idea what the rest of the facility is used for.

I feel a research project coming on.

Pemberton3.jpg

pemberton2.jpg

pemberton1.jpg

please tell me they renovated that school?  It was an eyesore and pretty damned creepy when i last lived in Marshall.

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

please tell me they renovated that school?  It was an eyesore and pretty damned creepy when i last lived in Marshall.

Now that I couldn’t tell you.  Wiley College has really invested in their campus…. Lots of brand new/renovated buildings.  But I have no clue if they’ve touched the Pemberton building. 

Wiley is restarting their Marching band…. So I’m curious if they use the band hall located at Pemberton.

Im going to do some research in the near future about PHs’ past and present.   I’m fascinated. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Everyone dressed so classy back in these days.  We've definitely lost something in that regard with yoga pants and t-shirts not holding a candle to the sharp looking people in this picture.

Yoga pants aren't the worst trend... as long as the right people are wearing them...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mavchamp said:

Now that I couldn’t tell you.  Wiley College has really invested in their campus…. Lots of brand new/renovated buildings.  But I have no clue if they’ve touched the Pemberton building. 

Wiley is restarting their Marching band…. So I’m curious if they use the band hall located at Pemberton.

Im going to do some research in the near future about PHs’ past and present.   I’m fascinated. 

It never had much mention in Marshall growing up other than "it was the old black school."  No real history ever mentioned about it.  I think it would do a lot for the black community in Marshall to be educated about that school and embrace some of the trials and achievements that came from that school to get Marshall athletics where it is today.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

It never had much mention in Marshall growing up other than "it was the old black school."  No real history ever mentioned about it.  I think it would do a lot for the black community in Marshall to be educated about that school and embrace some of the trials and achievements that came from that school to get Marshall athletics where it is today.

From what I understand…. Wiley uses the form of the old Pemberton building to preserve PHS’ history.  Yearbooks, band uniforms, football uniforms, cheerleaders.  Lots of history pre and post integration.

Im very interested in learning more.

9 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

All of this, but for Longview. Our kids need to know their history. 

On 8/10/2022 at 6:10 AM, MavGrad99 said:

Yoga pants aren't the worst trend... as long as the right people are wearing them...

Perhaps, but there's a lot to be said for leaving a little to the imagination. 

Also, the wrong people never know who they are, or more likely they just don't care... they don't have to buy something new if they grow or shrink, the fabric will adjust.

• Like 1