Paris vs Celina; week 1

bluetopper

Paris vs. Celina  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

I don’t know the experience coming back on either of these teams as I have not been able to locate an issue of DC’s Football magazine. I do know Paris, come district play should have a much easier time of it this year. How is this game matching up to those familiar?

Paris typically is a slow starter. I’m thinking Celina gets the W but this could be an excellent  game. I think Paris has a fair shot to win their district but that’s if they don’t make a ton of mistakes during season. Will help tremendously to have Argyle and Melissa gone. 

Celina brings back a ton of skill position players, both offense and defense. Noah Bentley is a three-year starter at QB, and so is fellow senior RB Gabe Gayton. He's got some good receivers to throw to and a returning senior TE/hybrid who did not play a year ago and was thoroughly missed. Troy Peterson and Sean Rabe will get some time at RB, as will a few other speedy runners. Bobcats will be youngish up front, though, and that's where you could see some early-season struggles, although, there will be some talented kids in those spots.

Defensively, the Bobcats will have to replace one of the better LB corps they've had in a long time. But, there are some good youngsters that will fill in nicely, led by a sophomore who is going to be a stud. Celina will have a nasty edge duo in Trae Hollins and Jake Vincent. Hollins will cause all sorts of problems for opposing offenses. On the back-end, the Bobcats will be junior heavy in the secondary. Good speed, good athleticism there.

Celina will also be pulling up a ton of kids from an undefeated, nearly un-scored on JV team that didn't really play a close game a year ago. This will help ease the burden of some of the key pieces the Bobcats lost to graduation.

This could be a pretty good game again. But, I like Celina to ultimately win by a couple possessions.

Celina looked pretty good in scrimmage against 6A Royse City. Good, not great.

Bulldogs have a good amount of speed. Their QB can scoot, and so could one of their receivers. Good size on the lines.

Dont know how it turned out officially, but Bobcats scored 3 times in live quarter and RC scored once.

Bobcats looked good in the secondary, apart from a busted 1-on-1 coverage on RC’s live-quarter TD. Receiver ran a great slant route and easily scored. Defensive line controlled the LOS for the most part, and RC’s big plays came on over-aggressiveness by the Bobcats young LB corps. I’ll take aggressiveness at this point over lack of athleticism/ability.

Bobcats defense can fly. They will be as tough as last year, especially as the year gets along.

Offensively, Celina ran the ball whenever and however they wanted. Offensive line has a lot of size again and we’re pretty athletic. Gayton at RB looked in mid-season form.

I was disappointed, overall, in the passing game. Feel like it should be further along. I don’t fully understand our passing concepts. We don’t have the personnel that can create enough separation on the route trees we seem to run.

We had lots of success, however, on play action, and quick hits out of full-house looks. Having Caden Mitchell back at TE/hybrid is going to be huge. Was a big contributor as a sophomore and did not play a year ago. He should touch the ball a ton this year.

Overall, Bobcats fans should be feeling pretty good after first scrimmage. Plenty of things to get sorted out, obviously, but the talent is there. Should not be any drop off from last years semifinal team.

• Like 1

Celina is a legit runner to win the Championship this season.  Just watched them in a scrimmage and they are loaded, loaded and then loaded some more. Not a weak position on the team. Depth at all positions is what will give them a good chance to win another state Championship.  Special teams for the Bobcats are a stand-alone force in themselves for the Bobcats. 

14 minutes ago, micotrav said:

Celina is a legit runner to win the Championship this season.  Just watched them in a scrimmage and they are loaded, loaded and then loaded some more. Not a weak position on the team. Depth at all positions is what will give them a good chance to win another state Championship.  Special teams for the Bobcats are a stand-alone force in themselves for the Bobcats. 

You coach at celina or have a kid on the team?

• LOL! 1

8 hours ago, micotrav said:

You could be right but they still got to prove they can beat a team with speed, speed, and speed. 

50 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

You could be right but they still got to prove they can beat a team with speed, speed, and speed. 

They can and have beat teams with speed. It’s been scheme usually that’s brought the Bobcats down.

33 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

They can and have beat teams with speed. It’s been scheme usually that’s brought the Bobcats down.

I have always been a Celina fan unless they were playing an East Texas team. 
I have only watched them play two maybe three times. Carthage in 2008 and On T V. Both times the speed beat them. 
They always have good and some great football players and very well coached. 
You cannot mention state championship teams without Celina in the conversation. 

1 hour ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I have always been a Celina fan unless they were playing an East Texas team. 
I have only watched them play two maybe three times. Carthage in 2008 and On T V. Both times the speed beat them. 
They always have good and some great football players and very well coached. 
You cannot mention state championship teams without Celina in the conversation. 

Dwight Smith beat Celina in that 2008 matchup lol. Apart from him, Celina and Carthage went blow-for-blow in that matchup and were pretty evenly matched.

Apart from one matchup, Gilmer has always been an Achilles heel for the Bobcats, and it's been a combination of speed/athleticism and a scheme that the coaching staff just has never adapted to, for whatever reason. Henderson in 2011-12 and Daingerfield 2008-09 were similar and had similar results against the Bobcats, although the Tigers did not blowout the Bobcats.

So I should relent a little and say you're right C&C, speed AND scheme have created problems for the Bobcats. Speed alone hasn't always been the thing to bring Celina down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluetopper said:

Even though Paris is in east Texas, not much talk or admiration going their way here. 

True. I don't think Paris has a huge fan base on here, to be fair. And also, the Wildcats are just so up-and-down. They always seem to have great athletes, lots of speed all over the field, but never can quite put it together. I'd say Paris, more often than not, under performs expectations, especially with the personnel they usually field.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

True. I don't think Paris has a huge fan base on here, to be fair. And also, the Wildcats are just so up-and-down. They always seem to have great athletes, lots of speed all over the field, but never can quite put it together. I'd say Paris, more often than not, under performs expectations, especially with the personnel they usually field.

I agree.  They have lots of talent, but struggle getting their act together sometimes.  They should definitely do well in their district this year.  

23 minutes ago, CH76 said:

I agree.  They have lots of talent, but struggle getting their act together sometimes.  They should definitely do well in their district this year.  

They should, but … and this sounds crazy to say … watch out for Anna. Coyotes have a ton of talent. But that talent will have to do something Anna has really never done before, historically, and that’s turn talent into success on the field.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 1:34 PM, LetsGoEagles said:

Paris typically is a slow starter. I’m thinking Celina gets the W but this could be an excellent  game. I think Paris has a fair shot to win their district but that’s if they don’t make a ton of mistakes during season. Will help tremendously to have Argyle and Melissa gone. 

Help out a lot of teams with out Argyle and Melissa!!!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 11:24 PM, LetsGoEagles said:

You coach at celina or have a kid on the team?

No sir, I'm a Royse City Bulldog fan.  Just watched Celina scrimmage our Bulldogs a couple weeks ago.  We are still trying to find our footing and get ready for 6A football this year. 4A Celina believes in winning in a foot race, a tennis match or just a football scrimmage in early August and they were showing all their aces and showing out by outscoring the Bulldogs 3 to 1. Celina does look good and they are in mid-season form, if not, then when they do get to be mid-season form, they could be unstoppable if they stay healthy. At least I was very impressed. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 3:22 PM, d0tc0m said:

Celina brings back a ton of skill position players, both offense and defense. Noah Bentley is a three-year starter at QB, and so is fellow senior RB Gabe Gayton. He's got some good receivers to throw to and a returning senior TE/hybrid who did not play a year ago and was thoroughly missed. Troy Peterson and Sean Rabe will get some time at RB, as will a few other speedy runners. Bobcats will be youngish up front, though, and that's where you could see some early-season struggles, although, there will be some talented kids in those spots.

Defensively, the Bobcats will have to replace one of the better LB corps they've had in a long time. But, there are some good youngsters that will fill in nicely, led by a sophomore who is going to be a stud. Celina will have a nasty edge duo in Trae Hollins and Jake Vincent. Hollins will cause all sorts of problems for opposing offenses. On the back-end, the Bobcats will be junior heavy in the secondary. Good speed, good athleticism there.

Celina will also be pulling up a ton of kids from an undefeated, nearly un-scored on JV team that didn't really play a close game a year ago. This will help ease the burden of some of the key pieces the Bobcats lost to graduation.

This could be a pretty good game again. But, I like Celina to ultimately win by a couple possessions.

I've seen him play. He's very good.