Why the pistol or gun??

Destry

11 minutes ago, Destry said:

Seems to be the new fad. Ever thought that if it gives the qb more time to look , it also gives the defense more time to read, react, and get to the ball? Just thinking.

Gunter was always good, but couldnt get over the hump.  Since pistol, 5 regional championships in a row and 2 state titles. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, blueflu said:

Gunter was always good, but couldnt get over the hump.  Since pistol, 5 regional championships in a row and 2 state titles. 

And the identical same kids for the last 5 years, no one graduated, makes some of them 22-23 years old and still playing high school ball😎. Just messing with ya. Some kids fit other systems better.

14 hours ago, Destry said:

Seems to be the new fad. Ever thought that if it gives the qb more time to look , it also gives the defense more time to read, react, and get to the ball? Just thinking.

If we go into the theory behind those, there are a few.

1) You can easily just run a zone blocking scheme with the OL and let RBs read the holes.  Also, on the idea of that with OL, you can do the chip Kelly style offense with wide splits essentially creating holes by default.  

2) the 5 and 7 step drop can be eliminated if you wanted.

3) with todays offenses, it seems it’s the easiest way to throw 30,000 screens in a game.

There are plenty of reasons to hate not going under center, but when you have speed at RB and speed at QB, and speed at WR, this seems to be the popular way to go to maximize that talent.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, blueflu said:

You might have a great qb every year in 6A,  But in 3A , you need a system that can be succesful every year.

Can’t agree with you more. I think what separates GT and Canadian is how good he coaching staffs really are. The coaches know what they need where to fit the system and be successful. 
traditionally, Once Canadian gets into the semis we don’t put athlete anyone. Hell the last year we won state, I think we had had two high 4.6 kids and that was it. However, the coaches know what our system requires, and are excellent at finding the right pieces

• Like 1

Gunter lost their starting QB from the past 3 years to graduation.  Going to Tx Tech.  Had the transfer from Sherman that got declared ineligible.  Then low and behold a move in Melissa comes, that is almost as good as the QB that just graduated.  He can run and throw. Look for them to be make a run at the championship the next 2 years.

1 hour ago, ShoelessJoe said:

Gunter lost their starting QB from the past 3 years to graduation.  Going to Tx Tech.  Had the transfer from Sherman that got declared ineligible.  Then low and behold a move in Melissa comes, that is almost as good as the QB that just graduated.  He can run and throw. Look for them to be make a run at the championship the next 2 years.

So if I understand you correctly, we should expect SH to make a run at the championship in 2023, Gilmer’s QB will move in to replace Stovall who will go D1.  Coach Joslin is next level good!

1 hour ago, PantherNation2015 said:

So if I understand you correctly, we should expect SH to make a run at the championship in 2023, Gilmer’s QB will move in to replace Stovall who will go D1.  Coach Joslin is next level good!

Lol, dream big hoss. 

22 hours ago, Destry said:

I agree, even more so in 2A. What I love about slot t teams.

I’ve heard some slot-T and wing-T purist coaches say that taking the QB out from under center takes a lot of the deception out of the offense. It’s been about 31 years since I lined up on defense, so I’m not inclined to argue about it one way or the other. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

I’ve heard some slot-T and wing-T purist coaches say that taking the QB out from under center takes a lot of the deception out of the offense. It’s been about 31 years since I lined up on defense, so I’m not inclined to argue about it one way or the other. 

Slot-T and Wing-T...would make zero sense to use pistol. The Flex, where it's a mostly option offense.....doesn't hurt it at all.

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

The coaches are correct on all accounts. True, I think you may be from Joaquin but not sure . I love to watch Joaquin’s offense 

1 minute ago, Destry said:

The coaches are correct on all accounts. True, I think you may be from Joaquin but not sure . I love to watch Joaquin’s offense 

You are correct sir. Hit me up next time you plan to catch the Rams. I enjoy meeting the SDC brethren. 

2 hours ago, Eagle8 said:

Slot-T and Wing-T...would make zero sense to use pistol. The Flex, where it's a mostly option offense.....doesn't hurt it at all.

The thing about Gunter is that they use a solid mix of misdirection in the pistol.  Not all pistol offenses do that.   Great adaptation with the pistol.

5 hours ago, Destry said:

In that case, a double barrel shotgun would be best😁

That really depends on the neighborhood. There are parts of Shreveport, LA that I won’t approach with anything less than a up-armored Humvee with a .50 cal mounted on top. Tru storie!

On 8/14/2022 at 12:45 PM, ShoelessJoe said:

Who was the last homegrown GT QB?