Week 1 Gilmer @ Chapel Hill

Chill5000

Gilmer @ Chapel Hill  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins

This poll is closed to new votes

11 minutes ago, buckeyefandom said:

There will be a major difference in both sides if this were not a Week 1 Matchup.  CH feels like they were within a play of Jerry’s World with 10 offensive starters back.  They will try to pick up where they left off.  Gilmer was a fluke play (Blocked FG for a TD) away from actually winning a state title after two straight trips to Arlington. So expectations are sky high on some really young players for both sides. This will feel like a life or death December playoff game from the time Gilmer gets off the bus.

But the reality is, this is week 1 and both teams have a ton of questions to answer. Both teams will be in the mix at the end of the season, for sure. As for this game? Basic fundamentals will win as both sides are crazy athletic and talented.  The team that tackle well, takes care of the ball, plays clean and does not beat themselves will win.

Both teams will RUN THE BALL, leading to a faster, lower scoring game. CH has an athletic QB but he is no Brandon Tennison throwing the ball. CH will try to run it and catch the Buckeye secondary cheating up on occasion.  Caden is not on that level yet either, but he can throw it well when given time. But Gilmer will just try and stay in this fight until the 4th Qtr and keep all the emotion in check, minimizing mistakes and keeping their composure.

Toss-Up here. I say Gilmer 36-34 on a last second field goal. This will be one of the more entertaining games of the whole year. Buckeye fans remember 2020 Lindale game in Gilmer? Buckle up… that is about what I expect.

Oh no, you actually said “BOTH teams have a ton of questions to answer”….. sir, I don’t know if you’re familiar, but the CHill fans on here have already reserved hotels for state and told the engraver they can start engraving the trophy. Do not question CHill. There are NO questions to be answered for CHill. NONE. Just ask their fans on here like CHILL06! They will act as though they could compete with North Shore, Duncanville, Southlake, Katy and Westlake. They actually think they’d be competitive with those teams. Even though they’d hang a 70-burger on CHill every game. 

• LOL! 1

CH Fans are hungry… and rightfully so. They have a lot of young talent. But they play in a VERY tough District, and a 4A Div 1 Bracket that is NAILS in December.  They are believing they can, and that is 1/2 the battle.  The other half is on the field, where they have to conquer their opponents and themselves.

Gotta play the season a week at a time! And tomorrow doesn’t really count for any team anywhere, except for in their own minds and locker rooms. I watched the CH run last year… and they had a lot of things fall just right for them (as ALL TXHS teams do that make runs into December).  You have to be good, but you also have to be lucky and catch the matchups just right. And IDK if Gilmer is a place to start?

For one, Gilmer is Gilmer. Once the lights come on, ain’t nobody wearing that G on their helmet thinks they are EVER going to have a quiet bus ride home. Like CH, this Soph class is loaded with talent, speed, size, and are used to 15 game seasons. 

For two, Gilmer walks into CH as an underdog with nothing to lose and everything to gain. I don’t think CH sees things that way. CH comes in thinking “we need to WIN!”  Gilmer gets off the bus thinking “Bring it.” 

And for three, CH is going to see an offense that is as good or better than their defense sees in practice every day. (You think CH has any 10.4-100m Sophs over there???  Uh, no.) Fundamentally, CH’s advantages of offensive speed and athletes on offense is matched or bettered at the skill positions. The battle will be won or lost up front and between the ears on both sides. The team that doesn’t make mistakes, tackles well and protects the ball will win…. All in an over-hyped Week 1 matchup that features a pair of 16 year old Soph QBs.

Translation? Anything can happen…

This, CH Coach scheduling this young Gilmer team in week 1 is a roll of the dice and shows a lot of confidence! Their objective is to “set the stage” for the season by handing the Buckeyes a LOSS to open the season and then riding the momentum they established last year to December again. Makes sense!

But the Buckeyes are thinking the same thing.  Heck, Gilmer’s motto this year is #WarReady. Have you seen Gilmer’s pre-district schedule? Kilgore, Paris and Lindale? Not exactly trying to move down in weight class… They are being thrown straight into the fire with more than just this season in mind. Don’t forget, that other “Bulldog” team a little further south with a “C” on their helmet will be the real test of #WarReady for the Buckeyes for the next 2 seasons at least. And THAT is what Coach Metzel is preparing for.

I think Mike Tyson once said, “Everybody has a gameplan until they get punched in the mouth.” Well, a lot of hay-makers are gonna fly from the opening bell tomorrow night. CH may be making plans for a State Title, but it seems like all of these teams ain’t scared of being tested WAY before it matters. Gilmer will be as much of a test for CH as CH will be for Gilmer.

Answering questions… that’s the only reason for that strategy. Get your popcorn ready and enjoy the answers!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, buckeyefandom said:

CH Fans are hungry… and rightfully so. They have a lot of young talent. But they play in a VERY tough District, and a 4A Div 1 Bracket that is NAILS in December.  They are believing they can, and that is 1/2 the battle.  The other half is on the field, where they have to conquer their opponents and themselves.

Gotta play the season a week at a time! And tomorrow doesn’t really count for any team anywhere, except for in their own minds and locker rooms. I watched the CH run last year… and they had a lot of things fall just right for them (as ALL TXHS teams do that make runs into December).  You have to be good, but you also have to be lucky and catch the matchups just right. And IDK if Gilmer is a place to start?

For one, Gilmer is Gilmer. Once the lights come on, ain’t nobody wearing that G on their helmet thinks they are EVER going to have a quiet bus ride home. Like CH, this Soph class is loaded with talent, speed, size, and are used to 15 game seasons. 

For two, Gilmer walks into CH as an underdog with nothing to lose and everything to gain. I don’t think CH sees things that way. CH comes in thinking “we need to WIN!”  Gilmer gets off the bus thinking “Bring it.” 

And for three, CH is going to see an offense that is as good or better than their defense sees in practice every day. (You think CH has any 10.4-100m Sophs over there???  Uh, no.) Fundamentally, CH’s advantages of offensive speed and athletes on offense is matched or bettered at the skill positions. The battle will be won or lost up front and between the ears on both sides. The team that doesn’t make mistakes, tackles well and protects the ball will win…. All in an over-hyped Week 1 matchup that features a pair of 16 year old Soph QBs.

Translation? Anything can happen…

This, CH Coach scheduling this young Gilmer team in week 1 is a roll of the dice and shows a lot of confidence! Their objective is to “set the stage” for the season by handing the Buckeyes a LOSS to open the season and then riding the momentum they established last year to December again. Makes sense!

But the Buckeyes are thinking the same thing.  Heck, Gilmer’s motto this year is #WarReady. Have you seen Gilmer’s pre-district schedule? Kilgore, Paris and Lindale? Not exactly trying to move down in weight class… They are being thrown straight into the fire with more than just this season in mind. Don’t forget, that other “Bulldog” team a little further south with a “C” on their helmet will be the real test of #WarReady for the Buckeyes for the next 2 seasons at least. And THAT is what Coach Metzel is preparing for.

I think Mike Tyson once said, “Everybody has a gameplan until they get punched in the mouth.” Well, a lot of hay-makers are gonna fly from the opening bell tomorrow night. CH may be making plans for a State Title, but it seems like all of these teams ain’t scared of being tested WAY before it matters. Gilmer will be as much of a test for CH as CH will be for Gilmer.

Answering questions… that’s the only reason for that strategy. Get your popcorn ready and enjoy the answers!

What a well thought out and insightful post. So much wisdom in this post. Don’t worry, CHill fans won’t heed it. They’re just worried about the state title game. Their suspect defense that has holes to fill? Nah, it’s already championship level according to them. State is wrapped up.

Good luck Gilmer. A very admirable program ya’ll have over there. Go get em. 

42 minutes ago, LetsGoEagles said:

What a well thought out and insightful post. So much wisdom in this post. Don’t worry, CHill fans won’t heed it. They’re just worried about the state title game. Their suspect defense that has holes to fill? Nah, it’s already championship level according to them. State is wrapped up.

Good luck Gilmer. A very admirable program ya’ll have over there. Go get em. 

I'm not sure which CH fans you're talking about? I've seen a couple of posts saying the pieces are there for a good season. CH defense will need to mature during the season to have any hope of a deep playoff run. The offensive running game should be our strength with a seasoned offensive line and great runners. I hope our QB can develop his passing skills each and every game. My fear is being too 1 dimensional when playing talented defenses. Excited to see how it plays out. Props to Riordan for upping the competition level in predistrict this year. Win or lose they will certainly be tried and tested come playoff time. 1 more day....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CHDog77 said:

I'm not sure which CH fans you're talking about? I've seen a couple of posts saying the pieces are there for a good season. CH defense will need to mature during the season to have any hope of a deep playoff run. The offensive running game should be our strength with a seasoned offensive line and great runners. I hope our QB can develop his passing skills each and every game. My fear is being too 1 dimensional when playing talented defenses. Excited to see how it plays out. Props to Riordan for upping the competition level in predistrict this year. Win or lose they will certainly be tried and tested come playoff time. 1 more day....

Great post. Agree. Offensively, you can make the case CHill May have the top 4A offense in the state. Defense is where they will need to improve. If ya’ll can, a deep playoff run can be possible, maybe even a title game appearance. Plus health. Have to stay healthy. That was what was so interesting to look back and see on our state title game run. We didn’t miss any games by our stars. Health is so crucial. If Jenkins misses a playoff game, we probably don’t win. But he played every game. We were fortunate there and it’s so critical. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHDog77 said:

Man you cant look into what this dude has to say. he clearly has a axe to grind with CH. Which I dont understand since Lindale has beat CH the last 3 times including playoffs. Kind of  a weird obsession. He makes these huge statements about CH fans booking hotels in Arlington and that us fans are saying we can beat Duncanville, Southlake etc. No CH fan that i know of are saying anything like that. I think he follows the CH threads more than his own Eagles. He went on a crazy rant about me and my post simply because IMO the eagles miss the playoffs this season. Its all there to go back and read. His opinion is nothing due to the fact he runs his mouth about stuff that is not true or has never been said. If you show any kind of confidence for CH then Clearly we’re booking hotel rooms. Bla bla bla. Dude is on another level. 

I do think Ch can compete with anyone in 4AD1 or 2 this season. I also think CH is fully capable of making a state run this year. But have to get through our tough district first. Which will not be easy at all.

There are several key sophomores that will step up on defense. I say the defensive unit will be as good or better than last season.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LetsGoEagles said:

Oh no, you actually said “BOTH teams have a ton of questions to answer”….. sir, I don’t know if you’re familiar, but the CHill fans on here have already reserved hotels for state and told the engraver they can start engraving the trophy. Do not question CHill. There are NO questions to be answered for CHill. NONE. Just ask their fans on here like CHILL06! They will act as though they could compete with North Shore, Duncanville, Southlake, Katy and Westlake. They actually think they’d be competitive with those teams. Even though they’d hang a 70-burger on CHill every game. 

Why dont you go back and show us where any CH fan has said any of the things that seem to fall out of your mouth. 

Please show me where we said CH would beat the heavyweights you mentioned? or where we are reserving hotels?

you sound like a blubbering fool. Just all mouth! 

• LOL! 1

22 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Poke is good bbq, will probably be busy before the game, right?

It will be busy but usually pretty quick. He usually has plenty of meat in the smoker ready to go. There’s always posadoes and mama’s right down the street also. Just a few options. 

9 minutes ago, LetsGoEagles said:

LoL. Ya’ll enjoy the game. Should be a good one. Hope everyone stays safe and no injuries. 

Def pray no injuries! By the way I just booked my room in Arlington. Also I think coach is trying to get something set up with Duncanville or Southlake. Just so CH can show them how real football is played. I will start getting ring sizes tomorrow before Gilmer game. 😁😁😁😁😁 

I hope Lindale comes out strong against Kaufman. I have several buddies who’s kids play for Lindale. Want nothing but the best for that program! 

• LOL! 2

13 hours ago, buckeyefandom said:

There will be a major difference in both sides if this were not a Week 1 Matchup.  CH feels like they were within a play of Jerry’s World with 10 offensive starters back.  They will try to pick up where they left off.  Gilmer was a fluke play (Blocked FG for a TD) away from actually winning a state title after two straight trips to Arlington. So expectations are sky high on some really young players for both sides. This will feel like a life or death December playoff game from the time Gilmer gets off the bus.

But the reality is, this is week 1 and both teams have a ton of questions to answer. Both teams will be in the mix at the end of the season, for sure. As for this game? Basic fundamentals will win as both sides are crazy athletic and talented.  The team that tackle well, takes care of the ball, plays clean and does not beat themselves will win.

Both teams will RUN THE BALL, leading to a faster, lower scoring game. CH has an athletic QB but he is no Brandon Tennison throwing the ball. CH will try to run it and catch the Buckeye secondary cheating up on occasion.  Caden is not on that level yet either, but he can throw it well when given time. But Gilmer will just try and stay in this fight until the 4th Qtr and keep all the emotion in check, minimizing mistakes and keeping their composure.

Toss-Up here. I say Gilmer 36-34 on a last second field goal. This will be one of the more entertaining games of the whole year. Buckeye fans remember 2020 Lindale game in Gilmer? Buckle up… that is about what I expect.

I think Brisbon going to surprise some people This season passing. He has worked really hard on that in the off-season and 7 on 7. With Berry and Mcgregor he has 2 really good route running receivers with incredible speed. 

Hoping for a injury free game for both squads. 

CH’s oline is what has impressed me in the scrimmages. Good size and they go hard. 

Gilmer has had CH’s number for many years. I think this years ch squad is going to give the bucs all they want. This is a big game that can have alot of mental aspect for both teams. A  confidence builder for week one. I honestly don’t see either coach holding back on this one. 

Ch will score alot of points through the air and with a outstanding ground attack. Can CH’s d step up and slow the bucs. 

Going to be a great game! ✌🏼

• Like 1

Here we go fellas. It's finally Game Day! I can't wait to get this season started. It's going to be a tough game and both teams should come out learning a lot about themselves tonight. Hope everyone comes out with no injuries. Safe travels to all and Go BUX!!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Sbk5280 said:

Here we go fellas. It's finally Game Day! I can't wait to get this season started. It's going to be a tough game and both teams should come out learning a lot about themselves tonight. Hope everyone comes out with no injuries. Safe travels to all and Go BUX!!

Will the Gilmer website be showing the game like they always do?

3 hours ago, Sbk5280 said:

The link is still up on the website, but not 100% sure if they will broadcast it there. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one. I do know that ETEX provided a link on Twitter to watch the game live.20220826_080810.jpg

I will definitely be watching this game online.