Jump to content

Week 1 Gilmer @ Chapel Hill


Chill5000
 Share

Gilmer @ Chapel Hill  

79 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins


This poll is closed to new votes


Recommended Posts


first off, the light issue was a mistake. Our regular maintenance guy who does the lights amongst other things was out tonight and wasn’t there. Another guy, not familiar with the system hit the wrong switch and couldn’t get them booted bacK up in time. So the Little guy  claiming how classless CH is can shove it! It was an honest mistake. Some Gilmer fans were clearly upset about it and directed there anger toward visitor concession stand. That is classless when you direct anger at woman who had nothing to with it! 

 

now about the game 
 

 

Humbling. Attitude is really bad on  the offensive side. Got to get in better shape and clean up the stupid mistakes. 

I’ll eat my crow. Gilmer played great disciplined football. CH def lacks discipline and it showed. Congrats Gilmer! 
CH will lick its wounds and bounce back. 7 turnovers and still managed to be in the game in the 4th qtr. Get that cleaned up and they will he fine. Good luck next week! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, for a few quick observations:

1.  If you are negative seven in the turnover battle and give up a kick return for a TD, you are going to lose.  Regardless of the talent, you just can't overcome that many mistakes.  CH will be better.  This would have been a much closer game or maybe even a CH win if they don't make so many turnovers.

2. CH running game is very good.  If they had just ran zone read all night, they might have won.  The QB is a great athlete, but he's not yet a great QB.  Give him time and he might become one, but he's not there yet.  BTW, a great time to work on the passing game is a non district game, even if it backfires.  Yes, there were a lot of interceptions, but better to make them now than in district.

3.  Both teams suffered from the heat, humidity, and first game.  Both teams had kids cramping up.  This kind of surprised me from Gilmer, but it was the first game.  

4.  I was impressed with the Gilmer Defense.  They struggled at times to contain the big running back, but they hung tough most of the game, and they made a key defensive hold in the 4th quarter when CH had the ball, the momentum, and the lead had shrunk to 10.  The defense bowed up and forced a punt, and Gilmer went 96 yards to seal the deal.

5.  Right now, Gilmer offense is better in the running game than passing game.  Tennison impressed me tonight.  The situation didn't seem too big to him.  But he didn't have a lot of time to throw on plays that needed to develop.  This limited the offense to quick passes and screens.  The O line will still need to improve on pass blocking, but they did pretty good in the running game.

6.  Haynes would be the offensive MVP for Gilmer tonight.  Kid runs tough in the hole.  Turned two yard gains into 5 yard gains.  What most impresses me about him is he finds the seam and hits it full bore.  

Congrats to Gilmer on the win.  They played with great energy and intensity, and they took advantage of the CH mistakes.  Both teams should have a lot to look forward to this season.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MoveTheChain said:

I take it you're not from Longview?  Buckeyes don't lose very often, so some of our fans get confused and act weird when the rare loss does happen.

 

It was after Carthage spanked y’all good and proper.  My brother in law and I were waiting in line to watch Longview play the next day and the Gilmerites in line with us were very arrogant and sore.  They were telling us how the refs cheated them and that Gilmer should’ve won.  When we told them we were at the game sitting on the Carthage side they shut up and quit talking to us.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

It was after Carthage spanked y’all good and proper.  My brother in law and I were waiting in line to watch Longview play the next day and the Gilmerites in line with us were very arrogant and sore.  They were telling us how the refs cheated them and that Gilmer should’ve won.  When we told them we were at the game sitting on the Carthage side they shut up and quit talking to us.  

i’ll take things that didn’t happpen for 100 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Ok, for a few quick observations:

1.  If you are negative seven in the turnover battle and give up a kick return for a TD, you are going to lose.  Regardless of the talent, you just can't overcome that many mistakes.  CH will be better.  This would have been a much closer game or maybe even a CH win if they don't make so many turnovers.

2. CH running game is very good.  If they had just ran zone read all night, they might have won.  The QB is a great athlete, but he's not yet a great QB.  Give him time and he might become one, but he's not there yet.  BTW, a great time to work on the passing game is a non district game, even if it backfires.  Yes, there were a lot of interceptions, but better to make them now than in district.

3.  Both teams suffered from the heat, humidity, and first game.  Both teams had kids cramping up.  This kind of surprised me from Gilmer, but it was the first game.  

4.  I was impressed with the Gilmer Defense.  They struggled at times to contain the big running back, but they hung tough most of the game, and they made a key defensive hold in the 4th quarter when CH had the ball, the momentum, and the lead had shrunk to 10.  The defense bowed up and forced a punt, and Gilmer went 96 yards to seal the deal.

5.  Right now, Gilmer offense is better in the running game than passing game.  Tennison impressed me tonight.  The situation didn't seem too big to him.  But he didn't have a lot of time to throw on plays that needed to develop.  This limited the offense to quick passes and screens.  The O line will still need to improve on pass blocking, but they did pretty good in the running game.

6.  Haynes would be the offensive MVP for Gilmer tonight.  Kid runs tough in the hole.  Turned two yard gains into 5 yard gains.  What most impresses me about him is he finds the seam and hits it full bore.  

Congrats to Gilmer on the win.  They played with great energy and intensity, and they took advantage of the CH mistakes.  Both teams should have a lot to look forward to this season.  

Spot on as usual CO70. A few additional thoughts:

1) Shout out to Coach Metzel and the coaching staff. The kids were poised, prepared, disciplined, and as locked-in as we have seen them. They played clean and had very few “self-inflicted” issues, especially for week 1. MAJOR KUDOS… A++ coaching!

2) The Buckeyes didn’t blink. Of course with as many “Big Games” as they have played the last 30 outings (2 years), these Seniors showed their maturity and experience. Chapel Hill was simply “NEXT” from the time they got on the bus Friday afternoon. They know who they are and when the lights came on, they just showed up and showed out. The Seniors KNOW this road, and they showed tonight why they have had more success than any group in Buckeye history. That is saying something folks. And by the looks of things, this gauntlet of a pre-district schedule just looks like an appetizer for them. MAJOR KUDOS… A++ Senior Leadership.

3) CH has some BEASTS athletes. As good as you will find anywhere in the country for a high school with 1,000 kids or so. But pound for pound, give me these Buckeyes all day long and twice on Sundays. The speed, skill, toughness and TEAM wearing white last night was punching above it’s weight, but there was ZERO physical intimidation. In fact, Gilmer not only matched up physically… they were the dominant team. It is said that “Everybody has a plan… until they get punched in the mouth.” Well, let’s just say the Buckeyes won the battle and the war last night… mentally, physically, emotionally. They went on the road, faced the seasoned and talented #3 ranked team in the state in a LARGER DIVISION, and “TCB”. MAJOR KUDOS… A++ Big Time Talent, Speed and Skill on display for the Buckeyes.

4) Game MVPs. Ashton Haynes offensively.  140+ yards on 10 carries. Rohan Fluellen defensively. 3 INTs in the first half alone. BIG TIME PLAYERS make BIG TIME PLAYS in BIG TIME GAMES. These two senior captains are not “Little Brothers” anymore. And they put their stamp on this game last night and showed the world what kind of legacy they intend to leave. They were not alone. From KJ to Seth and Braylon and the rest of the Seniors…. EVERYBODY stepped up and just did what they do. This group of Buckeyes is still “young”. But we need not worry about it. Ashton, Ro… the seniors… y’all know the way to Arlington. You have been twice already. NO SENIOR CLASS has done what you have done… and you ain’t done yet. But MAJOR KUDOS!! A++ PLAYMAKERS!

5) l know. Haters gonna hate. What comes around goes around. Every dog has his day. And all that… and yes. Eventually, all that is generally true. But let me add one to that list for you.

Gilmer is Gilmer. See y’all next week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Ok, for a few quick observations:

1.  If you are negative seven in the turnover battle and give up a kick return for a TD, you are going to lose.  Regardless of the talent, you just can't overcome that many mistakes.  CH will be better.  This would have been a much closer game or maybe even a CH win if they don't make so many turnovers.

2. CH running game is very good.  If they had just ran zone read all night, they might have won.  The QB is a great athlete, but he's not yet a great QB.  Give him time and he might become one, but he's not there yet.  BTW, a great time to work on the passing game is a non district game, even if it backfires.  Yes, there were a lot of interceptions, but better to make them now than in district.

3.  Both teams suffered from the heat, humidity, and first game.  Both teams had kids cramping up.  This kind of surprised me from Gilmer, but it was the first game.  

4.  I was impressed with the Gilmer Defense.  They struggled at times to contain the big running back, but they hung tough most of the game, and they made a key defensive hold in the 4th quarter when CH had the ball, the momentum, and the lead had shrunk to 10.  The defense bowed up and forced a punt, and Gilmer went 96 yards to seal the deal.

5.  Right now, Gilmer offense is better in the running game than passing game.  Tennison impressed me tonight.  The situation didn't seem too big to him.  But he didn't have a lot of time to throw on plays that needed to develop.  This limited the offense to quick passes and screens.  The O line will still need to improve on pass blocking, but they did pretty good in the running game.

6.  Haynes would be the offensive MVP for Gilmer tonight.  Kid runs tough in the hole.  Turned two yard gains into 5 yard gains.  What most impresses me about him is he finds the seam and hits it full bore.  

Congrats to Gilmer on the win.  They played with great energy and intensity, and they took advantage of the CH mistakes.  Both teams should have a lot to look forward to this season.  

Well said !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, buckeyefandom said:

Spot on as usual CO70. A few additional thoughts:

1) Shout out to Coach Metzel and the coaching staff. The kids were poised, prepared, disciplined, and as locked-in as we have seen them. They played clean and had very few “self-inflicted” issues, especially for week 1. MAJOR KUDOS… A++ coaching!

2) The Buckeyes didn’t blink. Of course with as many “Big Games” as they have played the last 30 outings (2 years), these Seniors showed their maturity and experience. Chapel Hill was simply “NEXT” from the time they got on the bus Friday afternoon. They know who they are and when the lights came on, they just showed up and showed out. The Seniors KNOW this road, and they showed tonight why they have had more success than any group in Buckeye history. That is saying something folks. And by the looks of things, this gauntlet of a pre-district schedule just looks like an appetizer for them. MAJOR KUDOS… A++ Senior Leadership.

3) CH has some BEASTS athletes. As good as you will find anywhere in the country for a high school with 1,000 kids or so. But pound for pound, give me these Buckeyes all day long and twice on Sundays. The speed, skill, toughness and TEAM wearing white last night was punching above it’s weight, but there was ZERO physical intimidation. In fact, Gilmer not only matched up physically… they were the dominant team. It is said that “Everybody has a plan… until they get punched in the mouth.” Well, let’s just say the Buckeyes won the battle and the war last night… mentally, physically, emotionally. They went on the road, faced the seasoned and talented #3 ranked team in the state in a LARGER DIVISION, and “TCB”. MAJOR KUDOS… A++ Big Time Talent, Speed and Skill on display for the Buckeyes.

4) Game MVPs. Ashton Haynes offensively.  140+ yards on 10 carries. Rohan Fluellen defensively. 3 INTs in the first half alone. BIG TIME PLAYERS make BIG TIME PLAYS in BIG TIME GAMES. These two senior captains are not “Little Brothers” anymore. And they put their stamp on this game last night and showed the world what kind of legacy they intend to leave. They were not alone. From KJ to Seth and Braylon and the rest of the Seniors…. EVERYBODY stepped up and just did what they do. This group of Buckeyes is still “young”. But we need not worry about it. Ashton, Ro… the seniors… y’all know the way to Arlington. You have been twice already. NO SENIOR CLASS has done what you have done… and you ain’t done yet. But MAJOR KUDOS!! A++ PLAYMAKERS!

5) l know. Haters gonna hate. What comes around goes around. Every dog has his day. And all that… and yes. Eventually, all that is generally true. But let me add one to that list for you.

Gilmer is Gilmer. See y’all next week.

I agree. The Gilmer kids just played with a different type of intensity. For years I’ve been impressed with normally a undersized group that goes hard. I think it shows great coaching. The teach these kids to play with confidence. 
 

The CH coaches need to bring up the energy on the sideline. Our sidelines and total team effort was dead. Drove me nuts. I wondered if half our team and coaches had covid it was so bad. 
 

CH will be fine. I was happy to see the defense working hard. We get our conditioning right, get the bad attitudes fixed up, find our team leaders, light a fire under these kids, and we will roll. They proved last year they can do it. 
I think we were in some type of mental funk last night. Could be that Gilmer was bringing it hard and didn’t respond. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BoyzNdaHood said:

#4 from the hill is that dude! Damn

Not sure if he was injured or not due to him being on the sideline quite a bit... that young man has a future 

He def has a future. Multiple D1 offers already as a sophomore. The running back room is talented at CH but he is def the best one. Not sure if they are being conservative with him or he was just fatigued. I do believe as they season goes on he will carry a much bigger load . 
 

Games like this can dictate a season. CH has always been good about bouncing back. Lots of talent on this team and a heck of a coaching staff. It will come together. This team probably needed a game like this and will learn from it. 
 


 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JugLine said:

I agree. The Gilmer kids just played with a different type of intensity. For years I’ve been impressed with normally a undersized group that goes hard. I think it shows great coaching. The teach these kids to play with confidence. 
 

The CH coaches need to bring up the energy on the sideline. Our sidelines and total team effort was dead. Drove me nuts. I wondered if half our team and coaches had covid it was so bad. 
 

CH will be fine. I was happy to see the defense working hard. We get our conditioning right, get the bad attitudes fixed up, find our team leaders, light a fire under these kids, and we will roll. They proved last year they can do it. 
I think we were in some type of mental funk last night. Could be that Gilmer was bringing it hard and didn’t respond. 

 

My turn to agree. I happen to know first hand what a GREAT KID Brisbon is. He and the Stewart kid are absolute “PLAY ON SUNDAY” talents. And the rest of that CH squad is very, very talented as well. 

CH should realize this was just a pre-district game. Nothing else. Put it behind you and move forward.

The talent that got you “one play away” last year is still there. And possibly better than ever. Trust it. Use it. Be who you are now. You don’t need to live up to anybody’s expectations… not even your own.

CH has a very tough district to play in. So get yourselves ready and go win it. One game at a time. One play at a time. One practice at a time. One rep at a time. Adversity is going to come. But it must be faced together, or it will win. Don’t be your own toughest opponent or critic. Just be positive, put your head down and go to work. Y’all will be fine.

Good luck Bulldogs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Chill5000 said:

He def has a future. Multiple D1 offers already as a sophomore. The running back room is talented at CH but he is def the best one. Not sure if they are being conservative with him or he was just fatigued. I do believe as they season goes on he will carry a much bigger load . 
 

Games like this can dictate a season. CH has always been good about bouncing back. Lots of talent on this team and a heck of a coaching staff. It will come together. This team probably needed a game like this and will learn from it. 
 


 

 

Saw this last season with the hill losing then getting hot late when it mattered.. of course you hope your team is ready and hot at the beginning and it carries through playoffs, but this game should light a fire under the dawgs as the go throughout this season... alot of potential this year, clean up the turnovers and lil things and I expect the dawgs to be making a deep run this season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats to Gilmer for an impressive opening game showing against a good CH team.  I saw some of the clips and Gilmer showed flashes of very high potential.  CH will bring it all together and be a real contender......maybe starting next week.  There's usually a big leap that happens in early season for most quality teams trying to replace some guys on both sides of the ball.....2 or 3 games makes a huge difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...