5A-D2: #13 Melissa Cardinals vs #8 Argyle Eagles

regaleagle

Melissa vs. Argyle   

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

Well I guess it's back to the salt mines for both teams next week to get more work in for next week's games. I still think Melissa will be a very competitive football team by the time they face Lovejoy in Week 10.  They have the personnel and pieces.....just like Argyle does.  Both teams will improve quite a bit and be playoff teams for sure.  Both teams have tons of room to get better and will be very polished by the end of the regular season.  Both starting QB's need more action and more games, but both will make huge improvement in these predistrict games.  Overall,  Argyle looked shaky at times, but fought hard in a heated battle in the heat.  Everybody was running on fumes by the end.

3 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Both teams look a little sloppy.......Argyle has been called with more penalties for sure.  But it's early and I do see plenty of quality out on the field.  I can tell the heat is a slight problem.

Pretty sure Melissa finished with far more penalties than Argyle. #10 for Argyle is a great player but should have been ejected for that cheap shot and the 2nd half.

16 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Well I guess it's back to the salt mines for both teams next week to get more work in for next week's games. I still think Melissa will be a very competitive football team by the time they face Lovejoy in Week 10.  They have the personnel and pieces.....just like Argyle does.  Both teams will improve quite a bit and be playoff teams for sure.  Both teams have tons of room to get better and will be very polished by the end of the regular season.  Both starting QB's need more action and more games, but both will make huge improvement in these predistrict games.  Overall,  Argyle looked shaky at times, but fought hard in a heated battle in the heat.  Everybody was running on fumes by the end.

Melissa has had major conditioning issues early the past 2 seasons. In games 1 & 2 last year it was glaring and again tonight. By end of the 3rd quarter half the starters had suffered cramps or were just worn out. On the last Argyle TD run (80+ yard TD run) both Melissa ILBs just went out w/ cramps and bam…there goes the RB nearly untouched. It was a hot and humid night but the completion doesn’t seem to have nearly the same issues.

I keep hearing oh maybe by the end of the year Melissa will be clicking and will have something for Lovejoy. I’m sorry, this is coming from someone that has seen Lovejoy multiple times over the last few years. They are a couple notches above Melissa, they have more talent and are better coaches than Melissa. Melissa will give lots of teams in our district fits this year but I think everyone is severely underestimating just how talented Lovejoy really is. 4 D1 receivers, a QB if it wasn’t for his height would be a sure lock for a D1 QB, they D1 lineman as well to go along with the #3 LB in the country for the 24’ class. 

IMO.....Trevir Ham for Melissa looked good for never taking a snap in a varsity game before against a very good and experienced Argyle defense.  Argyle rotated two QB's the whole game.....Sr. Jacob Robinson started and Jr. John Gainey basically traded off series, although Robinson definitely played more minutes and looked better overall.  But Gainey throws a very nice ball.....both at about the same size around 6-2/190-195, but Robinson has the wheels and Gainey stands in the pocket. Ham pretty much played the whole game for Melissa and had some decent passing numbers.  Argyle rushed for more yards than they passed for......right at 500 yds total offense combined.  Melissa threw for more than rushing.....around 400 total yards. 

4 hours ago, collincountyfootball1 said:

I keep hearing oh maybe by the end of the year Melissa will be clicking and will have something for Lovejoy. I’m sorry, this is coming from someone that has seen Lovejoy multiple times over the last few years. They are a couple notches above Melissa, they have more talent and are better coaches than Melissa. Melissa will give lots of teams in our district fits this year but I think everyone is severely underestimating just how talented Lovejoy really is. 4 D1 receivers, a QB if it wasn’t for his height would be a sure lock for a D1 QB, they D1 lineman as well to go along with the #3 LB in the country for the 24’ class. 

There's lots of football to be played before that meeting happens.  I'm pretty sure Lovejoy will look very impressive against Argyle in their own stadium next week.   Argyle and Melissa both have lots of work to do offensively, and both secondaries are probably not yet ready to defend against a high caliber passing attack like Lovejoy displays.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

There's lots of football to be played before that meeting happens.  I'm pretty sure Lovejoy will look very impressive against Argyle in their own stadium next week.   Argyle and Melissa both have lots of work to do offensively, and both secondaries are probably not yet ready to defend against a high caliber passing attack like Lovejoy displays.  

I’ll take Argyle  over Lovejoy next week.👍

15 hours ago, bingosmith said:

The QB you are speaking about isn’t even starting this year. 

Which proves my point on how loaded they are. He was a prolific player for them last year, was the district newcomer of the year and several outlets had him as one of the top 10 returners to watch. Yet, he was beat out by another guy. They’re well coached and just keep getting move ins. 

11 hours ago, regaleagle said:

If you get the chance to make it to the sub varsity games keep an eye out for the freshman WR Lovejoy has on JV. By several recruiting services he’s a legit future 5 star kid. He’s pretty good but moved in from Frisco so he’s ineligible this year. 

If Argyle can hang within 2 TD's.....I would say that is because of their defense.  The offense has more work to do early on than the defense, but the secondary will be tested bigtime also.  Argyle is 4-0 against Lovejoy.....so Lovejoy is gonna be breathing blood in this matchup.

On 8/27/2022 at 11:52 PM, regaleagle said:

If Argyle can hang within 2 TD's.....I would say that is because of their defense.  The offense has more work to do early on than the defense, but the secondary will be tested bigtime also.  Argyle is 4-0 against Lovejoy.....so Lovejoy is gonna be breathing blood in this matchup.

Not sure they will be breathing blood in this match-up any more than the other 8 regular season games they have left to play.  LJ 's coaching staff has preached one week at a time.  Plus, Coach Ross, staff and players were not part of those 4 games.  They will be ready for a very good Argyle team and I wouldn't expect anything less than a great performance from Lovejoy.

• Like 3

On 8/27/2022 at 11:45 PM, collincountyfootball1 said:

Which proves my point on how loaded they are. He was a prolific player for them last year, was the district newcomer of the year and several outlets had him as one of the top 10 returners to watch. Yet, he was beat out by another guy. They’re well coached and just keep getting move ins. 

QB was here last year.  Moved in from Cali and had to grind.  The new QB is an old QB.  Was at LJ 7-9 and moved to Plano 10-11 then came back his senior year.  Last years QB is only a Junior.  All three have different skill sets.  LJ, Argyle and Melissa all have plenty of move-ins.  Argyle and Melissa will both pass LJ in student enrollment within 3-4 years, max.

1 hour ago, Leopard4Life said:

QB was here last year.  Moved in from Cali and had to grind.  The new QB is an old QB.  Was at LJ 7-9 and moved to Plano 10-11 then came back his senior year.  Last years QB is only a Junior.  All three have different skill sets.  LJ, Argyle and Melissa all have plenty of move-ins.  Argyle and Melissa will both pass LJ in student enrollment within 3-4 years, max.

Yeah I said move in but I wasn’t necessarily referring to him. I realized he was on last years team it just kind of shocked me to see him get the nod over Franklin especially with Franklin having the experience and being so young.  Glad to see you back on the boards, I thought you left us. 

12 hours ago, collincountyfootball1 said:

Yeah I said move in but I wasn’t necessarily referring to him. I realized he was on last years team it just kind of shocked me to see him get the nod over Franklin especially with Franklin having the experience and being so young.  Glad to see you back on the boards, I thought you left us. 

Been busy and read what’s posted.  Just haven’t posted much myself.  Looking forward to this game.