7:30 to 7:00 game times

Ponderossa

3 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

The first time I attended a 7 pm start time game was Decatur @ Argyle quite a few years ago.

Those Argonauts are one of the first schools to do it and I loved it.

You don’t think 30 minutes makes much of a difference, but when you’re headed home 30 minutes earlier it sure is nice. 

It’s a Friday night. It’s a football game. Your supposed to get home a little late. Honestly my only problem with it is that it may make it difficult for some people to make it to the games on time. 

• Like 2

Don’t knock the 7 pm start until you’ve experienced it. 
Folks shouldn’t have a problem getting to the game by 7 pm even if they don’t get off work until 6.

Most folks who work shift work it doesn’t matter what time the game starts, you can either make it or you can’t. Most folks who work normal business hours are off at 5 pm and at latest 6 pm.

• Like 1

Dont worry about the coaches, they more thank likely worked a 15 hour day, the day before (Thurs games).  The longer and later the day is the harder for the "coach" that is driving that bus full of kids.  Not all schools have drivers, usually gets added to a coach/teacher with a big work load already.  Support your local school, not many coaches left in the profession.  All are leaving because of the work load and getting blasted by community.  Take care of the ones you have, because it's getting harder and harder to replace them.  God Bless!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Coming from a fan, I would move it to 8:00 if I could. 30 less minutes of baking in the 🌞. But that’s just me. 

YES! For nearby opponents, this should be the standard. 

Longview-Marshall? Heck yeah, it's 15 minute drive. 8 p.m. kickoff would be niiiiice. 

Now if you're talking Muenster vs. Evadale...  yeah, maybe start that game at 5pm. 

I don't mind it when living in the Metroplex. But the traveling from Longview to DFW for a 7 pm, just for some reason, hits differently.

But yep, almost all the old games back in the day started at 8 once the lighting became a staple. Before that, it was 2:30 in the afternoon on Friday (so thankfully we don't have that at least).

Hoping Longview never moves from the 7:30 start personally. Love that time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THEHARDWAY said:

With the implement of the spread the games last a lot longer. I’d be curious to know if that has Han an effect.

You know it does whether coaches admit it or not. The spread is also partly responsible for new contact rules because of more high impact injuries.

20 hours ago, Ponderossa said:

I can always remember all the games started at 7:30, why are they starting at 7 now?

I didn’t like it at first because I love the late games but it makes sense the way I was told. I was told it started with smaller schools because of the fact they had to travel so much further to away games that it would allow them to make it home earlier. It has just worked it’s way up and is becoming more common now.