Dumb stuff

Destry

2011, a team misses 2 extra point attempts but easily wins the game. Fast forward a week. Same team is playing Tatum. It was an awesome back and forth, hard fought battle until the last minute of the game. Tatum’s opponent drives down the field and scores a TD to make it a 1 point game. The score was 34-33 and this team had picked up 1st down after first down all night. Tatum couldn’t stop the QB run for 4 quarters and I remind you this team missed two XPs the previous week and had already missed 1 against Tatum. Well, you would think with how the game went back and forth all night, they would go for 2 and the win. When they lined up for an extra point, Tatum fans were relieved. Sure enough, they missed the extra point and Tatum moved on to the next week. 

Two things immediately come to mind...

1.) We were playing a state-ranked opponent at their field on a Friday, which meant their JV came to our field on Thursday. Someone from the opposing team's fanbase left a funeral wreath at midfield after the stadium lights were turned off. Coaches found it the next morning. We ended up putting 60+ points on them. 

2.) We were playing some hapless, overmatched opponent and already up 20 points in the first quarter. Then our defense got them for a safety. They tried to onside the free kick. Refs flagged it, but I was just blown away by the insane hubris. 

2015 Argyle vs LA Vega State Championship game.  Argyle has the lead but LV driving at end of Q4.  Argyle gets a defensive penalty for 12 men on the field.  Takes timeout to regroup and comes out of the timeout and gets another 12 men on the field penalty giving LV a 1st down.  LV eventually scores and wins 33-31.

Lived over in South Arkansas for a few years - I witnessed our team go for it on 4th & Inches.  First Measurement - 1st Down!  Second Measurement - 1st Down!  After this, the white hat picks the ball up and takes it to the other side of the field and calls for a third measurement.  He pulls out his wallet and uses his debit card to see if there's any distance between the chain and the ball.  Success!!!  Finally, it's 1st Down for the opposing team!  I felt like I was back as a visitor in Morris County!!! LOL

Two different people from our side rushed the field and were arrested.  (I don't condone that though) 

• LOL! 1

Around 2006 or so, home team is driving downfield to take the lead in the closing minutes. Either QB or coach thinks it’s 3rd down. QB spikes the ball. It was 4th down. Away team wins. Away teams fans were in disbelief that the home team had actually done that, as they were state champs 2 or so years before. Still kinda blows my mind to this day lol. 

Now this actually happened- head scratcher— his team was behind by 12 , he had 2 time outs left, about 8 minutes left in game-other team had ball and were taking their on little time running the clock down—that coach never used a time out to stop clock. Yep you’re right— he got beat by 12.

1 hour ago, Destry said:

Now this actually happened- head scratcher— his team was behind by 12 , he had 2 time outs left, about 8 minutes left in game-other team had ball and were taking their on little time running the clock down—that coach never used a time out to stop clock. Yep you’re right— he got beat by 12.

Man I’ve seen that before. Blows my mind. 

3 hours ago, HHSFan95 said:

Lived over in South Arkansas for a few years - I witnessed our team go for it on 4th & Inches.  First Measurement - 1st Down!  Second Measurement - 1st Down!  After this, the white hat picks the ball up and takes it to the other side of the field and calls for a third measurement.  He pulls out his wallet and uses his debit card to see if there's any distance between the chain and the ball.  Success!!!  Finally, it's 1st Down for the opposing team!  I felt like I was back as a visitor in Morris County!!! LOL

Two different people from our side rushed the field and were arrested.  (I don't condone that though) 

That happened against Pewitt against EF.  Ref pulls the card after he moved the ball back.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HHSFan95 said:

Worked for the Cowboys with an index card recently as well lol

• Like 1

We’re receiving the ball on the kickoff. Kick is headed out of bounds . We’re fixing to get good field position on the penalty. All of a sudden one of our guys runs, leaps, throws the ball over his head like he’s chasing a rebound in basketball back into the field of play. Other team recovers.

• LOL! 3

Ima open this can of worms...played a team in their swamp instead of ours..team gets three Try's  at a field goal before they make it,once they said an inadvertent whistle,second they said it was on third down,they jump on next one and don't get flagged but do get the field goal finally..never said anything on smoaky about it till now but that was a wee bit shady..js..that ought to stir up some stuff...lol image.gif

image.gif

Many, many years ago I was officiating a 6 man game in the Panhandle. We line up on sidelines to bring captains in for the coin toss. No bands for either team. A recording of the National Anthem begins and all of the players remove their helmets and hand over heart. The announcer then says, please remain standing for the (HOMETEAM) school song.  Another recording is played for their school song.All players remain with the helmets off and hand over heart. Announcer then says, remain standing for VISITORS school song.

everyone stayed the same, helmets off and hand over heart. Then SILENCE! After about 10-15 seconds I looked at the visiting coach who was just behind me with his hand over his heart. I asked “ did they forget to bring your guys recording?” He said no “ WE DONT HAVE A SCHOOL SONG”

Laughed so hard I almost couldn’t flip the coin,

• Wow 1

On 8/23/2022 at 3:56 PM, trueblue82 said:

Saw one of our players wipe his feet on the midfield logo of a team that was ranked in the top 10 in class 3A, with us being the smallest school in the class. They didn’t think it was funny and whipped us up and down the field for 4 quarters. 

This is a 100% true story... Just some of the details are off 🤣🤣. 1. We where both 2A. 2. They did think it was funny but they where not amused by it. Now to tell the story (I in no way condon the actions of 17 year old me) I had told everyone I was going to do it a d had made a huge deal about it in the off season. Now for where it started to go wrong.I had no idea we would lose 2 Allstate players in the first half of the first game of the season. Not to mention multiple injuries to other starters (it got so bad a kid who sat the bench the week before on JV started the last varsity game of the season) I tried to just be quiet and let it pass (I knew at that point we where playing for the future and that my days of winning football games where over) but someone there that was affiliated with our team (not a player) made a joke about it. And then our entire team poked and poked and poked me. So In Arp Texas I wiped my feet on their logo. Not a fun day. Not even a little bit. As a matter of a fact it was probably the stupidest thing I've ever done without doing or saying something to intentionally act stupid.

On 8/24/2022 at 8:33 PM, upullinmychain said:

Ima open this can of worms...played a team in their swamp instead of ours..team gets three Try's  at a field goal before they make it,once they said an inadvertent whistle,second they said it was on third down,they jump on next one and don't get flagged but do get the field goal finally..never said anything on smoaky about it till now but that was a wee bit shady..js..that ought to stir up some stuff...lol image.gif

image.gif 

I'm 95% positive I have a Snapchat video of me and Jtownblue dancing like Chris Farley on that sketch with Patrick Swayze on SNL after that last attempt.