Week Two: Longview vs Marshall

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (1-0) vs Marshall Mavericks (1-0)  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Marshall in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/03/2022 at 12:30 AM

Marshall's secondary sure could use Montana Warren(TCU commit transfered to Henderson). That seems to be the weakest link in our defense this year.

If Marshall doesn't have a good game plan to help against Hale etc, then I can definitely see Longview pulling away in 2nd half. We also have a starting lb that has to sit out the 1st half. 

I do believe we have the ability to play all out and force some turnovers. That will be key in making it a tight game.

No matter the final score, Marshall needs to show up and play hard. We have 2 #1 teams on our schedule.  If we can't get up for those games then somethings wrong. Not many teams have 2 chances to make a statement against #1 ranked teams. Make them count.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mav01 said:

Marshall's secondary sure could use Montana Warren(TCU commit transfered to Henderson). That seems to be the weakest link in our defense this year.

If Marshall doesn't have a good game plan to help against Hale etc, then I can definitely see Longview pulling away in 2nd half. We also have a starting lb that has to sit out the 1st half. 

I do believe we have the ability to play all out and force some turnovers. That will be key in making it a tight game.

No matter the final score, Marshall needs to show up and play hard. We have 2 #1 teams on our schedule.  If we can't get up for those games then somethings wrong. Not many teams have 2 chances to make a statement against #1 ranked teams. Make them count.

Marshall will stay in it if they attack the line of scrimmage and keep Tatum from breaking the big play. Pin your ears back and force Allen out of the pocket. Don't give him time to find Hale. Our line is still coming together. Take advantage of their still-developing chemistry. 

1 hour ago, LOL said:

If we don't turn it over, we're pulling away. 

I agree. I'm really struggling to find a way that Marshall keeps the final score close.

If Allen is this year's Allen, and doesn't revert back to what he was last season, and if we don't make a lot of mistakes, Longview should pull away for a big W IMO.

Marshall no doubt had a fantastic win against Tyler, and I'm not discrediting that at all. But this is one Longview should win big.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

If Allen is this year's Allen, and doesn't revert back to what he was last season, and if we don't make a lot of mistakes, Longview should pull away for a big W IMO.

Exactly, if Allen continues to play smart, distribute the ball, and not try to force anything, the offense should hum along nicely. 

Mix up those 5- and 7-yard quick catch-and-runs. Then toss it out to Taylor on the swing route. All of this after the fact that King has sent a regular barrage of Taylor and Alijah pounding at the line of scrimmage. Whew! It's gonna be a tall order. 

Not impossible, mind you, but certainly a tall order. 

• Like 1

I agree with you LoboFan07. Great win by Marshall last week for sure. And we are better than we were this time last year, especially offensively. Maybe down just a touch on the defensive side specifically in the secondary. But Longview isnt Tyler Legacy or Tyler High and they arent the Longview of last year. I think this years Mavs beats last years Lobos. All that to say it will take a monster of a game and a little luck to bounce our way to keep it close. Im holding out hope and will be there cheering on the Red & White!

Go Mavs - Beat the Lobos!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

If Marshall have no passing game then they finna be in trouble then only way boyd was able to move ball

The x-factor is Alvarez. Dude knows how to win. Throw last week's film out the window. I expect an effective gameplan that will key on our vulnerabilities. 

1 hour ago, The Real Mavfan said:

I think this years Mavs beats last years Lobos.

We talked about this when we played Legacy last season and it probably holds true for Marshall as well. If there was ever a year (or years) to beat Longview, it was the last two seasons. We were noticeably down for our own standards. I do think some opportunities were missed from both Legacy and Marshall to grab those Ws. In Lee's case, my goodness. I'd be shocked if we don't hit 22 or 23 wins in a row at this point.

Last Friday was no where near a finished product up in McKinney, but I do think it was one of our more impressive season openers we've had in quite a while (if ever under King).

Like @LOLstated, Alvarez is going to throw the kitchen sink at us. It's still a non-district game so clearly won't be showing everything, but if the chance is there to beat Longview, no doubt he won't be holding anything back.

I'll be interested to see how the Marshall O line is able to handle our defensive front. I know Willie is still hitting himself for dropping two interceptions last weekend. Shutting down Boyd completely in the 2nd half, I expect that to be our true defensive identity moving forward, but who knows maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I do know Marshall will have to throw the ball, which they didn't have to against Tyler.

Sounds like the game is headed towards a sell out, so that'll be exciting.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Ones most likely to land in a d1 roster.  Mostly qualifiers.  Not JUCO d1 talent

10 names from Longview's side:

'24 RB Taylor Tatum (6'0 200)...22 offers with Penn State offering yesterday. #1 '24 RB in TX according to 247.

'23 WR Jalen Hale (6'2.5 190)...40+ offers. Will choose between Alabama, Texas and Georgia next month. One of the highest overall sought after recruits in America.

'24 WR DK Reese (6'3 175)...UTSA offer, Baylor and SMU probably soon to be among the next offers

'23 OG Blair Williams (6'2.5 330)...interest from Louisiana Tech, UNLV, UIW and others

'23 OLB/DE JJ Rougley (6'2 215)...interest from UH, Lamar, SFA and others. Could be Longview's career sack record holder when it's all said and done

'24 DB Willie Nelson (5'10 170)...offers from Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, SMU and others

'24 SS Buddha Garrett (6'0 190)...interest from Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, UTSA, SMU and others

'24 S Chase Smith (5'10 185)...interest from SMU, Kansas State, OU and others

'23 CB Jakevyon Curry (6'1.5 180)...interest from UH, UIW, Northern Arizona, Texas Tech

'23 K/P Michael Fields (6'0 175)...interest from Lamar, Rice and others

And as great as these names are, it's the others on the roster that really tell the story of how talented Longview's roster is.

Alijah Johnson, Kaden Brooks (several D2 offers), Ta'Darion Boone (3 year varsity starter), Jax Norman (3 year varsity starter), Billy Smith, Xaryus Sheppard, Jaiden Simmons...man these dudes can play.

And if QB Jordan Allen (6'1.5 205) continues playing well, you never know what'll happen with his recruitment. He visited ULM and Lamar over the summer. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I'd put money on Marshall wanting it to rain.

I'm not so sure.  I got to watch some of the Marshall/Tyler game.  The short passing game was pretty effective.  The 47 passing yards was very deceiving.  He was 8-14 with several drops and 2 TDs.  I really think that was a solid part of what was giving Tyler fits was the scheme.  They will need that diversity to get going.

Also, if Marshall cuts out the penalties and bone head mistakes, I think they could have put 60 on Tyler.

For Lobo fans, that Marshall O-line is not bad and will test our defensive front.