Week Two: Longview vs Marshall

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (1-0) vs Marshall Mavericks (1-0)  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Marshall in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/03/2022 at 12:30 AM

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Going to be trying to do some more of my own articles since the News-Journal doesn't seem that interested.

TBH if I'm running things I hire you as part-time Lobos feature writer for the LNJ, and full-time Twitter manager for Gameday. 

just-sayin-larry-david.gif

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I'm not so sure.  I got to watch some of the Marshall/Tyler game.  The short passing game was pretty effective.  The 47 passing yards was very deceiving.  He was 8-14 with several drops and 2 TDs.  I really think that was a solid part of what was giving Tyler fits was the scheme.  They will need that diversity to get going.

Also, if Marshall cuts out the penalties and bone head mistakes, I think they could have put 60 on Tyler.

For Lobo fans, that Marshall O-line is not bad and will test our defensive front.

Yeah, Marshall ain't foolin' me.

They have Jacorey Smith outwide who has 3 DI offers, TE Pilarowski with DI interest...

They're gonna take shots through the air no doubt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Yeah, Marshall ain't foolin' me.

They have Jacorey Smith outwide who has 3 DI offers, TE Pilarowski with DI interest...

They're gonna take shots through the air no doubt. 

I think Longview's ovrall team talent will be too much for Marshall.  We have to play a hard clean game from the jump.  Do I think Longview can have a 3+ score win in this one, yes.  I think Longview can jump on Marshall and push them hard.  Our defense can't let them get in a rhythm.  I anticipate a solid game.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I think Longview's ovrall team talent will be too much for Marshall.  We have to play a hard clean game from the jump.  Do I think Longview can have a 3+ score win in this one, yes.  I think Longview can jump on Marshall and push them hard.  Our defense can't let them get in a rhythm.  I anticipate a solid game.

Well, I've already spoke my peace on the outcome. Said 45-14.

May seem extreme, but I do see it being close and Marshall being a thorn in our side for a quarter and a half but in the end...yeah Longview just has too much talent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mav01 said:

The #1 ranked team in big 5a vs unranked in small 5a. Should be a blowout. Especially when the smaller school has a new coaching staff. 

Rankings don't mean a lot.  Ya'll made easy work of the #24 team in big 5a. I expect a solid effort from the Mavs and a good game with Lobos pulling away unless 1 team lays an egg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mav01 said:

The #1 ranked team in big 5a vs unranked in small 5a. Should be a blowout. Especially when the smaller school has a new coaching staff. 

Uh, no. Rankings don't make any tackles or score any touchdowns.

We're talking about a buncha 16-18 year olds. Anything can happen. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 8:17 AM, LOL said:

Competitive or not, it's a big enough game to be a Jeopardy question: 

This topic should/could be its own thread but I do want to ask. What would you think a causal txhsfb fan would say are the biggest football rivalries? You think people from across the state would say Longview/Marshall? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AledoAlumni said:

This topic should/could be its own thread but I do want to ask. What would you think a causal txhsfb fan would say are the biggest football rivalries? You think people from across the state would say Longview/Marshall? 

I'm not sure but I do know that this rivarly has some of the most national attention.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AledoAlumni said:

Depends on what era they started following and just how "casual" a fan they are. 

In the early 90s/00s, I think many people would say Odessa Permian vs Midland Lee due to the popularity of the book and movie releases of Friday Night Lights. Otherwise, most people at least know of Marshall vs Longview. And before it became one-sided, it was usually one of the most highly-anticipated games. As kingwolf said, it got national attention. 

• Like 3

If you truly follow TXHSFB, you at least know about Longview-Marshall. 

It's lopsided as of late, but it hasn't always been, it's still a huge draw, a $ generator....and game still has its meaning amongst some in both fan bases...not so much for others.

The conversation is interesting though because if you ask Longview fans who our biggest rival is, the most prominent answer is Lufkin.

Marshall series has the longevity and notoriety, Lufkin series has the intensity, quality and frankly...as packed as our games are with Marshall...our games against Lufkin tend to be something else.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ANTI said:

The conversation is interesting though because if you ask Longview fans who our biggest rival is, the most prominent answer is Lufkin.

Marshall series has the longevity and notoriety, Lufkin series has the intensity, quality and frankly...as packed as our games are with Marshall...our games against Lufkin tend to be something else.

The rivalry between Longview/Marshall and Longview/Lufkin aren't even comparable to be honest.

In 111 (112 tomorrow), only 9 games have actually decided a district champion.

When it comes to Lufkin, in 84 games...we've had 11 playoff games plus 6 other games that have decided a district champion. And the series has been close throughout.

Longview/Marshall has had long runs of dominance on both sides. Marshall was 18-2-2 to start, then held on for a 28-12-3 up until the early 50s when Longview really started to take off and then boom, Lobos have really controlled things since, going 52-14-2 against the Mavs since 1953. Yes, Marshall had a bounce back in the late 90s/mid 90s, the Lobos have fully controlled the entire series since before almost all of us were born.

But I know, people were grew up in the 80s and 90s still feel like this is a big rivalry game. I have zero hatred for Marshall, and cheer for them 100% of them (except maybe against T High, but that's just cause I have a thing for the Tigers). Lufkin, and even Tyler, I rarely will ever pull for them against anyone and that dislike is certainly there. It's died down a bit as I've gotten older, but that dislike will never go away.

But then again, I am from the last class at pulled an 0-fer against the the Pack.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 6:18 PM, The Real Mavfan said:

Talking about Cameron Haller? He was a baseball player at heart playing football. Went to Texas A&M on baseball scholarship. Never made much of it unfortunately.

Cam actually left A&M after one year and then played baseball the next season at Cisco (after his one season at A&M he played in the summer college league for Brazos Valley....I spoke to him at a game in Lafayette). After his one season at Cisco he transferred to Baylor, and made the football team as a walk on in 2020, but then Covid hit, basically cancelling the season......not sure what happened after that. Good kid.