1. 1. Nac vs LP

• Lufkin by a lot
    • Lufkin by a little
    • Nac by a lot
    • Nac by a little

This poll is closed to new votes

Well its Angelina River Rivalry time!! 

Lufkin coming off a win in Tyler vs Legacy 31-23

Nac coming off a mistake filled loss to Palestine 37-31, that saw the Dragons battle back from being down 24-7 and 31-14 to tie the game late only to give up a TD with 16 seconds left.

This will be the 103rd meeting between Nac/LP

Lufkin Leads the series 73-23-6

Last 10 meetings Lufkin is 8-2

Nac's last win was 2014

Nac's last win at Abe was in 1982 a 16-0 Nac. win

Was a little shocked to see a Nac struggle with Palestine like they did.  The Wildcats aren’t expected to be anything special this season.    Offense was mistake prone and defense gave up a load of points. 

BUT…… Lufkin struggled against a Legacy team that was being lead by their backup quarterback. 

This could be closer than some expect….. but history says LP wins easily.  Especially with it being at Abe. 

Panthers win comfortably. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Was a little shocked to see a Nac struggle with Palestine like they did.  The Wildcats aren’t expected to be anything special this season.    Offense was mistake prone and defense gave up a load of points. 

BUT…… Lufkin struggled against a Legacy team that was being lead by their backup quarterback. 

This could be closer than some expect….. but history says LP wins easily.  Especially with it being at Abe. 

Sources? 

Every year the wildcats aren’t supposed to be “special”, where does these sources come from? Just curious

27 minutes ago, LordSensei said:

Sources? 

Every year the wildcats aren’t supposed to be “special”, where does these sources come from? Just curious

Sources? Ummmm......

Palestine
2021: (5-6)
2020: (5-6)
2019: (6-7)
2018: (3-7)
2017: (4-6)
2016: (5-5)
2015: (1-10)
2014: (1-9)
2013: (6-4) 

It's been 9 seasons since they posted a winning record.

What exactly do you consider "special"?

Just curious.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

BUT…… Lufkin struggled against a Legacy team that was being lead by their backup quarterbac

We didn’t struggle. The scoreboard doesn’t reflect the domination. We turned the ball over in the red zone 3 times, and missed a FG. We were down 17-9 and was up 31-17 with under a minute to go. They got a trash time TD. Lufkin should have blown that game wide open but mistakes kept that from happening. Our defense dominated them all night. One of their scores was a scoop and score off a fumble from our RB. We played sloppy, and still dominated them. They are definitely down from the past couple of years. Lufkin is a little improved from last year IMO. Our defense has a chance to be something but the offense is… Blah. We still don’t have a QB and the line is just inconsistent as they come. Defense has a chance to keep us in some games early before the offense gives them away lol. Obviously we won’t compete for the district championship but I think we have a chance to win that 4th spot and get back to the playoffs. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

We didn’t struggle. The scoreboard doesn’t reflect the domination. We turned the ball over in the red zone 3 times, and missed a FG. We were down 17-9 and was up 31-17 with under a minute to go. They got a trash time TD. Lufkin should have blown that game wide open but mistakes kept that from happening. Our defense dominated them all night. One of their scores was a scoop and score off a fumble from our RB. We played sloppy, and still dominated them. They are definitely down from the past couple of years. Lufkin is a little improved from last year IMO. Our defense has a chance to be something but the offense is… Blah. We still don’t have a QB and the line is just inconsistent as they come. Defense has a chance to keep us in some games early before the offense gives them away lol. Obviously we won’t compete for the district championship but I think we have a chance to win that 4th spot and get back to the playoffs. 

That Lp/A&M game is going to be extremely interesting to watch, especially with how high some people are of them over on that side of the bracket.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Sources? Ummmm......

Palestine
2021: (5-6)
2020: (5-6)
2019: (6-7)
2018: (3-7)
2017: (4-6)
2016: (5-5)
2015: (1-10)
2014: (1-9)
2013: (6-4) 

It's been 9 seasons since they posted a winning record.

What exactly do you consider "special"?

Just curious.

I was just about to ask the same thing to you lol. 

The record speak for itself considering the tough preseason games they play like Van, when Conally was good, etc.

but I was meaning special as in district. Since Coach Angel came back, they haven’t missed the playoffs. EVERY year they get counted out and expect to finish as one of the last teams in district.

….then go on to handle the Hendersons (3 straight) and Chapel Hills (5-6 straight) of the world finishing 2nd or 3rd. Even beat Kilgore one of those years with Angel. 

that’s all I was saying.

5 minutes ago, LordSensei said:

I was just about to ask the same thing to you lol. 

The record speak for itself considering the tough preseason games they play like Van, when Conally was good, etc.

but I was meaning special as in district. Since Coach Angel came back, they haven’t missed the playoffs. EVERY year they get counted out and expect to finish as one of the last teams in district.

….then go on to handle the Hendersons (3 straight) and Chapel Hills (5-6 straight) of the world finishing 2nd or 3rd. Even beat Kilgore one of those years with Angel. 

that’s all I was saying.

I get it about district.  That's all well and good.  But it doesn't change the fact that they are (1-6) in the playoffs in that same time period.

Thus my statement... Nac lost to a Palestine team that isn't expected to be that special.

6 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I get it about district.  That's all well and good.  But it doesn't change the fact that they are (1-6) in the playoffs in that same time period.

Thus my statement... Nac lost to a Palestine team that isn't expected to be that special.

Fair enough. To the defense, the record doesn’t hold weight. Last 2 years, lost to teams that weren’t better in the first round. But everyone says that. Good point.

Nac's defense did not play that bad, 24 of Palestine's points came directly from Nac mistakes and turnovers on offense, 2 Return TDs and a fumble inside our own 20. Granted Nacs defense had a chance to get off the field with about 220 left in the game tied at 31 and couldn't make the play on back to back plays, a deflected ball on 2nd down that would have been a pick six of the DB catches the ball and a stop on 3rd and short. 

A repeat of this past Friday against Lufkin and we will lose by 40 at ABE.

It will be Lufkin Dunbar remembrance night. Lufkin will don the Black and White Lufkin Dunbar jersey's from 51 years ago.  Remembering guys like Ken Houston and Joe Williams and others who will be on hand. There will be a recognition ceremony before the game and in the PAC Activity Center next to the football field. So the Panthers will look slightly different their normal Purple attire.

Lufkin Dunbar Jersey to be worn by the Lufkin Panthers on September 2

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I’ll retract my struggled statement. 

I expected LP to win by more.  Sounds like that could have/should have happened. 

Lufkin D actually only gave up 3 points. Could have easily been 31-10 or 38-10 final, but it wasn't and that was Lufkin's fault. Two Lufkin offensive TO (INT at Lufkin 2 and 45 yard fumble return for TD) in about a minute  of the 3rd quarter were terrible, especially when the Legacy O only had to go 2 yards total to get 14 points. The late TD with .59 on the clock meant nothing.  I also understand it's all part of the game, you have to take care of the ball.  Lufkin swapping QB's back and forth had it's moments, but trying to throw deep from your end zone was not a good call, QB gets hit, the ball goes straight up in the air and you have the INT at the 2.  OC should have never called that play.  I don't know what to think about the game between Nacogdoches and Lufkin.  You sure can't tell how good the Panthers are playing Huntsville or Legacy.  Huntsville lost to A&M Consolidated 38-13 and we certainly had trouble with Huntsville in our scrimmage. Legacy may not win many games this year, or the Panthers??   You know how good you are when you play someone good, and I'm not ready to say Lufkin is good.   Lufkin is improved from the last two years for sure, but good???  Think they must prove that against much better competition, and that is coming their way this season.  Legacy was not it by any stretch.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin D actually only gave up 3 points. Two Lufkin offensive TO (INT at Lufkin 2 and 45 yard fumble return for TD) in about a minute  of the 3rd quarter were terrible, especially when the Legacy O only had to go 2 yards total to get 14 points. The late TD with .59 on the clock meant nothing.  I also understand it's all part of the game, you have to take care of the ball.  Lufkin swapping QB's back and forth had it's moments, but trying to throw deep from your end zone was not a good call, QB gets hit, the ball goes straight up in the air and you have the INT at the 2.  OC should have never called that play.  I don't know what to think about the game between Nacogdoches and Lufkin.  You should can't tell how good the Panthers are playing Huntsville or Legacy.  Huntsville lost to A&M Consolidated 38-13 and we certainly had trouble with Huntsville in our scrimmage. Legacy may not win many games this year, or the Panthers??   You know how good you are when you play someone good, and I'm not ready to say Lufkin is good.   Lufkin is improved from the last two years for sure, but good???  Think they must prove that against much better competition, and that is coming their way this season.  Legacy was not it by any stretch.

I can agree with most of this. Lufkin didn't dominate Lee like an earlier poster said. Lee could of won that game just like Lufkin ended up winning. Neither team moved the ball very well. Besides the long run that Young got, (which is when Lee subbed a backup linebacker in and took him right out as soon as he scored) the nice catch Walker got, and the other catch reciever was able to make. Both teams offense was atrocious. With Lee being worse. I saw two teams, me being nice about it. Two subpar teams. We kept saying this is a good game between two average teams at best. I said before the season started I can see Lee finishing the season 0-10 and 2-8 being the most wins they'll have all season. Well maybe 3-7. The JT game seems winnable now.

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

You know you automatically down 14 off the bus messing around at Ole Abe...🙄

• LOL! 2
  • Prayers 1

I didn’t see either game… only read the post-game articles and fan posts online.  

Lufkin fans say they dominated Lee.  Others say they didn’t.  But at the end of the day… a win is a win… even if it was against a poor team. 

What’s not arguable is the fact that Nac struggled against 4A Palestine.  Not a 4A like Carthage… or Gilmer…. Or PG.  Palestine.  And although they battled back to make it competitive…. It doesn’t change the fact that they were down by 21 at one point. 

A sloppy win over a mediocre 6A team trumps a sloppy loss to a mediocre 4A team. 

LP should win comfortably.