How bad will Gilmer SMOKE Kilgore?

Sportsfanatic1

4 hours ago, metalhead10 said:

Kilgore is good. Very solid team. I liked how they came out and really got after us. Very motivated team.

Buckeyes were better. Played very flat this game at the start, but picked it up as the game went on.

Both teams played very sloppy and have some more work to do.

The refs.........well, they weren't the worst, but they sucked. At least they were across the board bad, some terrible calls/no calls on both teams.

Gilmer play calling is questionable. 

Overall, both teams will get better from this and move on. If Kilgore keeps getting better each week, they will be a tough team to play, just like Gilmer.

Buckeyes have some work to do, but if they can put it together by district and the end of the season, they will be a hard team to beat.

Hey I see I’m not the only one that think the the play calling is questionable. I just don’t understand, just like it was 4th and 6 and u run a play to the runningback on the flats lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Hey I see I’m not the only one that think the the play calling is questionable. I just don’t understand, just like it was 4th and 6 and u run a play to the runningback on the flats lol.

You have the right to ask questions about play calling of your coaches.

Hey, about once a year I ask myself why we ran a particular play in that situation.

I was just saying y’all have had a lot of success of late and saying the play calling is nullified or equalled or matched when you play Carthage, I mean, I don’t what you want to do.

I don’t think Gilmer has had a bad game plan when playing against us or had poor in game play calling, it’s probably just ours was a little better.

Our DC is a great schemer like Surratt is and like you said we have good athletes so I don’t what the answer is for Gilmer there, but y’all do have good coaches and players. 

🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

You have the right to ask questions about play calling of your coaches.

Hey, about once a year I ask myself why we ran a particular play in that situation.

I was just saying y’all have had a lot of success of late and saying the play calling is nullified or equalled or matched when you play Carthage, I mean, I don’t what you want to do.

I don’t think Gilmer has had a bad game plan when playing against us or had poor in game play calling, it’s probably just ours was a little better.

Our DC is a great schemer like Surratt is and like you said we have good athletes so I don’t what the answer is for Gilmer there, but y’all do have good coaches and players. 

🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m not saying they aren’t good coaches, but I think sometimes our coaches get in their own way. I know a lot of teams have scripted plays but We tend to stick with ours no matter what the defense is showing. 

• Like 3

Whoever started this thread talking about how bad will Gilmer smoke Kilgore is out of his mind. I figured this game could have gone either way. After watching Kilgore play Carthage last week I knew how many athletes Kilgore had and was a good team but just couldn’t play with Carthage. I didn’t go to the Carthage game last night because I knew it would get ugly quick so I went to the Kilgore and Gilmer game. After watching the game shows how good Carthage really is  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

I’m not saying they aren’t good coaches, but I think sometimes our coaches get in their own way. I know a lot of teams have scripted plays but We tend to stick with ours no matter what the defense is showing. 

I think both Kilgore and Gilmer were calling bad plays through the game last night. Weird

2 minutes ago, michaelmyers said:

Whoever started this thread talking about how bad will Gilmer smoke Kilgore is out of his mind. I figured this game could have gone either way. After watching Kilgore play Carthage last week I knew how many athletes Kilgore had and was a good team but just couldn’t play with Carthage. I didn’t go to the Carthage game last night because I knew it would get ugly quick so I went to the Kilgore and Gilmer game. After watching the game shows how good Carthage really is  

We’re hoping we’re back in true Bulldog form.

Last year our offense was not ready.  This year, so far, our QB seems to be able to perform at the proper level to execute the what and how Surratt wants to play offense.

Last year our OL also wasn’t up to snuff in comparison to what we usually see from a Carthage OL.  This year is looking better.

10 hours ago, HJR7 said:

Can someone please tell the guys who are live broadcasting on YouTube, that Kilgore head coach is Clint Fuller? They are wearing woods name out..smh think they do a little more research and get the name right.

well unfortunately the guys doing the broadcast are freakin idiots…i’m from Gilmer and its hard to listen to them

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

1 minute ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

We’re hoping we’re back in true Bulldog form.

Last year our offense was not ready.  This year, so far, our QB seems to be able to perform at the proper level to execute the what and how Surratt wants to play offense.

Last year our OL also wasn’t up to snuff in comparison to what we usually see from a Carthage OL.  This year is looking better.

I totally agree. I seen everything you just said at the scrimmage against LE. I seen the confidence in Cuff that he lacked last year and could tell that he worked very hard this past off season. The O line looks like Carthage O line is supposed to look. I’m very excited about this years team and the defense stepping up with 9 new starters!!!! All I can say is wow!!!!! I’m very pleased with what I’m seeing!

7 hours ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Okay, now for a few quick observations.

1.  Tough victory between two evenly matched teams.  I think the difference was conditioning and depth.  Gilmer was finally able to establish a running game in the 2nd half, and the defense played better as the night went on.  

2.  Impressed with Caden Tennison tonight.  He missed a RB on a wheel route that probably would have gone to the house, and he had an int when he left the ball a little too far inside, but he played solid all night.  He throws a really pretty deep ball.  And he was really accurate tonight on the deep out as well.  Gilmer couldn’t get anything going in the running game tonight in the first half, and Tennison made the plays he needed to make to stretch the defense and turn the momentum around.

3.  Gilmer missed Haynes tonight.  Henderson did a great job filling in and he ran tough between the tackles.  But Gilmer loves the 1-2 punch of 2 solid running backs, and that was missing.  They missed him on defense as well.  Hopefully he doesn’t have any serious injury.  

4.  The Kilgore running game gave Gilmer absolute fits in the 1st half, but credit Gilmer for making adjustments or just plain bowing up in the 2nd half.  The 4th quarter safety sealed the deal, in my opinion.  Kilgore got the ball 1st and 10 at the two and Gilmer pushed them backwards for 3 straight plays (I actually thought they got the safety on 2nd down).  

5.  Gilmer still needs to clean some things up.  The secondary made some big mistakes.  And the O line really struggled in the 1st half.  But hopefully, they will get better.  I think this group is teachable, and I have confidence in the coaching staff.

Overall a good game.  Sloppy at times, but it was good to see Gilmer go toe to toe with a really good team when they got behind early.

Ashton is fine BTW. Just the staff realizing it is a marathon and not a sprint. If you look back over the past few seasons, several really key players have had “time off” to keep them from west and tear and potential injury.

I would expect you will see several of the guys who play both ways so the same later in the season. 17, 44, 3, 0, 22, 7 and others will all get the same treatment until it’s trophy time. Perhaps the most impressive thing the BUX have done all season is the number of kids they have played on both sides of the ball against 2 REALLY good teams, (and 2-0). The Buckeyes are quietly building depth. Basically if you are suiting out, you are gonna play in Gilmer. Remember, some of these Buckeye Seniors have now already played in THIRTY PLUS varsity games! That is invaluable experience for a high school player. And invaluable in establishing a true culture that not only WINS consistently, but allows you to have games (like last night), where a lot of young kids make a lot of valuable “learning” mistakes… that don’t cost you games.

No Head Coach in Buckeye History has amassed as many wins as quickly as Alan Metzel. And he has also been in Gilmer as an assistant for 20+ years. The man has “Been There & Done That”. A young Jeff Traylor  was at the forefront of pioneering Texas High School football at this level (then 3A and now 4A) by recognizing the value of taking superior athletes, getting them the ball and getting them  into space, playing FAST, and allowing “X-Factor” things like overall team conditioning to fill in the gaps between those athletes to win games. What you are seeing today from Coach Metzel and that “other guy” down in that “other Bulldog” town that starts with a “C” is the evolution of that formula. These are PROGRAMS, led by coaches who understand how to build CULTURES that allow them to simply reload year after year.

Ashton is the most gifted back Gilmer has had since Gus Johnson… who is only the guy that owns the record book at SFA and spent time on rosters for the Cowboys, Falcons and Cardinals. That is saying something. He is also a huge asset at OLB on defense. And after a Game 1 performance against a MONSTER in CH where he went for 145 yards on 10 carries playing both ways, that caliber of player took the night off… and Gilmer won handily.

Just a few short years ago, Ashton and Ro and Omero were the “Super Sophs” who were making meaningful contributions. Now… those dudes simply step up and take over games when it counts. It is just what they do! They are like “D1-Super Seniors” with 30+ varsity games under their belts, just two games into their Sr Seasons. Now go down the roster and look at the current crop of “Super Sophs” who are surfing in that wake.

See it? CULTURE. It’s why Gilmer is Gilmer and Carthage is Carthage. It is a shame that they are in the same region again. But that just means bEastTexas sees the real State Champion get crowned in the regional finals. And both coaches are playing games in September FOR the one coming in late November. Just watch… a #1 vs #2 matchup of likely undefeated teams is coming… again. Why? Because of the real chess match you are watching here in week 2, as the teams best players can sit while their teams not only WIN, but improve their teams and overall programs in the process of running this years’ marathon.

God bless Tater Town, Coach Traylor, and everything their great coaching staffs (Coach Turner / Metzel) have been building for decades. I’m sure they feel the same way in that “C” town down there too. We’ll see y’all (again) in a bit. And you can bet the Buckeyes will be #WarReady!

23 minutes ago, michaelmyers said:

I totally agree. I seen everything you just said at the scrimmage against LE. I seen the confidence in Cuff that he lacked last year and could tell that he worked very hard this past off season. The O line looks like Carthage O line is supposed to look. I’m very excited about this years team and the defense stepping up with 9 new starters!!!! All I can say is wow!!!!! I’m very pleased with what I’m seeing!

I feel the exact same way, and let me tell you, Cuff’s confidence level has skyrocketed since last season, because of the work he’s put in through the offseason.

He’s a totally different player this year.

Even though our OL wasn’t quite ready last year, had Cuff been further developed at that time we could’ve won state last year.  And that’s ok, I’m really enjoying seeing Cuff do well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, buckeyefandom said:

Ashton is fine BTW. Just the staff realizing it is a marathon and not a sprint. If you look back over the past few seasons, several really key players have had “time off” to keep them from west and tear and potential injury.

I would expect you will see several of the guys who play both ways so the same later in the season. 17, 44, 3, 0, 22, 7 and others will all get the same treatment until it’s trophy time. Perhaps the most impressive thing the BUX have done all season is the number of kids they have played on both sides of the ball against 2 REALLY good teams, (and 2-0). The Buckeyes are quietly building depth. Basically if you are suiting out, you are gonna play in Gilmer. Remember, some of these Buckeye Seniors have now already played in THIRTY PLUS varsity games! That is invaluable experience for a high school player. And invaluable in establishing a true culture that not only WINS consistently, but allows you to have games (like last night), where a lot of young kids make a lot of valuable “learning” mistakes… that don’t cost you games.

No Head Coach in Buckeye History has amassed as many wins as quickly as Alan Metzel. And he has also been in Gilmer as an assistant for 20+ years. The man has “Been There & Done That”. A young Jeff Traylor  was at the forefront of pioneering Texas High School football at this level (then 3A and now 4A) by recognizing the value of taking superior athletes, getting them the ball and getting them  into space, playing FAST, and allowing “X-Factor” things like overall team conditioning to fill in the gaps between those athletes to win games. What you are seeing today from Coach Metzel and that “other guy” down in that “other Bulldog” town that starts with a “C” is the evolution of that formula. These are PROGRAMS, led by coaches who understand how to build CULTURES that allow them to simply reload year after year.

Ashton is the most gifted back Gilmer has had since Gus Johnson… who is only the guy that owns the record book at SFA and spent time on rosters for the Cowboys, Falcons and Cardinals. That is saying something. He is also a huge asset at OLB on defense. And after a Game 1 performance against a MONSTER in CH where he went for 145 yards on 10 carries playing both ways, that caliber of player took the night off… and Gilmer won handily.

Just a few short years ago, Ashton and Ro and Omero were the “Super Sophs” who were making meaningful contributions. Now… those dudes simply step up and take over games when it counts. It is just what they do! They are like “D1-Super Seniors” with 30+ varsity games under their belts, just two games into their Sr Seasons. Now go down the roster and look at the current crop of “Super Sophs” who are surfing in that wake.

See it? CULTURE. It’s why Gilmer is Gilmer and Carthage is Carthage. It is a shame that they are in the same region again. But that just means bEastTexas sees the real State Champion get crowned in the regional finals. And both coaches are playing games in September FOR the one coming in late November. Just watch… a #1 vs #2 matchup of likely undefeated teams is coming… again. Why? Because of the real chess match you are watching here in week 2, as the teams best players can sit while their teams not only WIN, but improve their teams and overall programs in the process of running this years’ marathon.

God bless Tater Town, Coach Traylor, and everything their great coaching staffs (Coach Turner / Metzel) have been building for decades. I’m sure they feel the same way in that “C” town down there too. We’ll see y’all (again) in a bit. And you can bet the Buckeyes will be #WarReady!

Get it! 

13 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I feel the exact same way, and let me tell you, Cuff’s confidence level has skyrocketed since last season, because of the work he’s put in through the offseason.

He’s a totally different player this year.

Even though our OL wasn’t quite ready last year, had Cuff been further developed at that time we could’ve won state last year.  And that’s ok, I’m really enjoying seeing Cuff do well.

That is 100 percent correct! Go Dawgs!!!

I would have posted during the game but had ZERO reception on the field.

Kilgore improved from the Carthage game. Bulldog passing game improved, but there were three in-the-hands dropped passes in the first half that would moved the chains. No touchdowns, but first downs. 

While the passing game looks good, it doesn’t seem to be the balanced offense we’ve seen the last two years. 

D line looks great. 

3 hours ago, michaelmyers said:

It all depends on how each one of us define "smoke." 

One is a large 4AD1 school compared to a 4AD2 school. Same with Carthage last week.

One Kilgore poster claimed Surratt was bad about onside kicks against them. 45-10 says different. Now, that's why the word "smoke" was used. Hope y'all understand now. Good luck to both teams from here on out I don't have a dog in the fight!

3 hours ago, buckeyefandom said:

Who do you see the winner of Gilmer/Carthage playing the next week in the regional finals ?

1 hour ago, KildogDad said:

I would have posted during the game but had ZERO reception on the field.

Kilgore improved from the Carthage game. Bulldog passing game improved, but there were three in-the-hands dropped passes in the first half that would moved the chains. No touchdowns, but first downs. 

While the passing game looks good, it doesn’t seem to be the balanced offense we’ve seen the last two years. 

D line looks great. 

Agree. Kilgore will be fine. The DL, which is their strength, played great! The secondary played good, but the Gilmer receivers just made the plays. 

17 minutes ago, LetsGoEagles said:

I can guarantee if these 2 meet in the R2 final, Carthage and Gilmer I will be there. WOW! 

It would be a great ball game. 
If the Dawg defense improves every week. 
Nobody in 4 A DII will beat them. 
The Dawg offense is better than Gilmers defense and the Dawg defense is good enough to get a few stops on Gilmers offense. 
That May all change as each team gets further into the season, as of right now. 
The Dawgs are better. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Wouldn’t they meet in the quarter finals or would it be the second round. 
Kind of like last year meeting China Spring early in the playoffs. 

Four districts in each region…..If all district champions win the first 2 playoff games, then two champs play each other and the other two play each other in the 3rd round. 
I am old and old school - regional finals and quarterfinals are the same thing to me. 

4 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

It all depends on how each one of us define "smoke." 

One is a large 4AD1 school compared to a 4AD2 school. Same with Carthage last week.

One Kilgore poster claimed Surratt was bad about onside kicks against them. 45-10 says different. Now, that's why the word "smoke" was used. Hope y'all understand now. Good luck to both teams from here on out I don't have a dog in the fight!

Well as long as I can remember if someone gets smoked means they get destroyed 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, michaelmyers said:

Well as long as I can remember if someone gets smoked means they get destroyed 

Yeah me too just a typical #### bag trying to blame it on someone else for his idiotic comment. Just a typical smoaky loser that always posts idiot comments doesn't proof read before pushing send.