Jump to content

How bad will Gilmer SMOKE Kilgore?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BevBrownJr said:

How bad will Gilmer SMOKE Kilgore, you ask. I didn’t see Gilmer’s first game, but I saw Kilgore’s. They have the athletes to avoid being smoked by Gilmer or anyone else remaining on their schedule. However, if they don’t make some adjustments in defending the short, quick pass toward the sideline, they’ll get beat again this week. Carthage got at least 7 yards every time they ran that play; Kilgore never made an adjustment, from what I could see.

Yeah, I don’t like the title of this thread. Little early to start with the arrogance if you ask me. CH has a very good team, but those turnovers really hurt them. That game was closer than the score indicated. The 4 picks were legit, the Gilmer secondary is very good and a strength of their defense. The 3 CH fumbles probably could have been avoided. Seemed the QB was trying to run before securing the ball, plus both teams had several high snaps. Kilgore D line will definitely be a test for the Buckeye offense. Could be a low scoring game. Gilmer will need to come out with energy and be focused, if they do, I think they will win by a couple of scores.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kilgore will be fine...it was the first game of the year and we made a ton of costly mistakes against a very good Carthage team.... after watching the highlights from Chill and Gilmer I am confident in Kilgore's chances of being in this game and having an opportunity to win in the 4th as long as they correct some of the mistakes made last week...Gilmer is another very good team and will capitalize on our mistakes as they did against Chill...nothing against Gilmer but based on what I saw, Chill beat themselves in that game...they didn't put themselves in a good spot to succeed with all the turnovers.....but, still managed to score 27 pts. Gilmer didn't do anything special against Chill that wowed me...just took advantage of poor play as a good team should!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Buckeyes are coming off a game that simply was not a good matchup for Chapel Hill. SEVEN TURNOVERS is not a deficit many teams will overcome and win. The confidence the Black Flag gained cannot be understated IMO. Coach Edwards and the defensive staff have that Black Flag cooking white hot now, and Kilgore will closely resemble the CH matchup trying to establish the running game and throwing at their own peril with Ro lurking back there.

Gilmer’s offense behind a Soph QB did not have to do a lot Friday night, which was not a bad thing. They stayed pretty clean and ahead of the chains for the most part. Haynes is an absolute BEAST, and the speed that Will Henderson brings is borderline unfair. If the Buckeyes can lean on their running game and open up things for Tennison’s quite capable arm, Kilgore will need to score 40 points to win. That formula just doesn’t work out for the K-Dawgs I’m afraid. 
 

Same as last week for the Buckeyes. Play clean up front and take care of the ball, TACKLE and ball hawk on defense, and make Kilgore play from behind on the scoreboard and behind the chains. Avoiding “Negative Plays” will be key for both teams, but the Buckeyes are off to the start they wanted this season. Coming home, I think GRAVITY may be key in continuing the momentum. 

Too much Gilmer this year for Kilgore to stop the skid just yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

😝 Always funny reading these comments. Real funny how everyone says kilgore will get better from last week like Gilmer won’t. Another thing everyone want to cry about the CH turnovers like if that wouldn’t have happened they would have won. Well guess what it did and they lost. Just like our state game last year they blocked the field goal scored and a few other things and we lost. Another thing pressure bust pipes. I see no one talking about the pressure the Dline was putting on CH oline to cause the bad snaps and fumbles. The kid fumbled when we had our whole starting Dline in the game together which wasn’t a lot and I really don’t think CH scored at all on gilmers entire starting D. Love the way Gilmer play teams and give the smokey chat award winning false looks 😂😂😂😂. Gonna be a good game for sure and it won’t be a blow out. Gilmer is not concerned with blow outs. If no one on here have noticed that. One guy said he made his assumptions from the highlights 😂😂. And as for chapel hill the real dawg on that team is #4

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buckeyelove said:

😝 Always funny reading these comments. Real funny how everyone says kilgore will get better from last week like Gilmer won’t. Another thing everyone want to cry about the CH turnovers like if that wouldn’t have happened they would have won. Well guess what it did and they lost. Just like our state game last year they blocked the field goal scored and a few other things and we lost. Another thing pressure bust pipes. I see no one talking about the pressure the Dline was putting on CH oline to cause the bad snaps and fumbles. The kid fumbled when we had our whole starting Dline in the game together which wasn’t a lot and I really don’t think CH scored at all on gilmers entire starting D. Love the way Gilmer play teams and give the smokey chat award winning false looks 😂😂😂😂. Gonna be a good game for sure and it won’t be a blow out. Gilmer is not concerned with blow outs. If no one on here have noticed that. One guy said he made his assumptions from the highlights 😂😂. And as for chapel hill the real dawg on that team is #4

who said, Kilgore would get better and Gilmer wouldn't..???...and if you think Gilmer was not very fortunate for the Chapel Hill turnovers, bad snaps, etc is just plain crazy...heck, your own dang coach even stated how fortunate Gilmer was....and am I saying Gilmer didn't make mistakes either, no....nobody was saying that's the only reason Gilmer won but more or less saying that it contributed to why they won by the margin that they did....31 pts on turnovers alone plus 7 pts through special teams 🤔..were some of the turnovers forced.???..absolutely...Gilmer is good...but, hey it's all part of the game and if you play sloppy good teams make you pay like Gilmer did to Chapel Hill...If Kilgore comes out this week and plays sloppy then Gilmer may do the same...if Kilgore comes out and plays well then who knows what will happen...they could very well "still" get beat.. but I promise you it wont be 51 -27...who knows, Gilmer is very good team and it's tough to win in Gilmer...I think the problem is some Gilmer fans are just soo arrogant and just plain simple ignore certain details...heaven forbid anybody give an opinion especially if it doesn't promote dominance towards Gilmer in every part of their game....your not Carthage!!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kdogs00 said:

who said, Kilgore would get better and Gilmer wouldn't..???...and if you think Gilmer was not very fortunate for the Chapel Hill turnovers, bad snaps, etc is just plain crazy...heck, your own dang coach even stated how fortunate Gilmer was....and am I saying Gilmer didn't make mistakes either, no....nobody was saying that's the only reason Gilmer won but more or less saying that it contributed to why they won by the margin that they did....31 pts on turnovers alone plus 7 pts through special teams 🤔..were some of the turnovers forced.???..absolutely...Gilmer is good...but, hey it's all part of the game and if you play sloppy good teams make you pay like Gilmer did to Chapel Hill...If Kilgore comes out this week and plays sloppy then Gilmer may do the same...if Kilgore comes out and plays well then who knows what will happen...they could very well "still" get beat.. but I promise you it wont be 51 -27...who knows, Gilmer is very good team and it's tough to win in Gilmer...I think the problem is some Gilmer fans are just soo arrogant and just plain simple ignore certain details...heaven forbid anybody give an opinion especially if it doesn't promote dominance towards Gilmer in every part of their game....your not Carthage!!!

Lol you just said the same thing I said…….. read all the comments. If you didn’t say nothing I mentioned why are you upset. Eta me say it like this (you are Exactly right on everything you just said) another thing I didn’t bring up Carthage so what was that plug for. I didn’t bash kilgore, much respect. That’s why they play the game. No no one said Gilmer wouldn’t get better but no one said they would either they only said kilgore would. If you make enough mistakes on anyone you most time will lose. Also notice I said I don’t see it being a blow out as well. Or was you so made a Gilmer fan commented til you didn’t even read it. One thing about Gilmer they respect every team they play one by one. And one at a time. Every dog has his day. So respectfully if you care to take the time reread what I said the first time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We know Kilgore is a run heavy team, but how is the passing game? They will get yards on the ground, but I think they will need to be able to pass, especially if they fall behind. Again, I’m praising the Buckeye secondary, if you can’t pass effectively or be accurate, I wouldn’t try it. A lot of CH’s rushing total came from the QB scrambling and just flat out making positive yards out of nothing. I wouldn’t think the Kilgore QB is as fast or agile as the CH QB??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SHillBuckeye said:

We know Kilgore is a run heavy team, but how is the passing game? They will get yards on the ground, but I think they will need to be able to pass, especially if they fall behind. Again, I’m praising the Buckeye secondary, if you can’t pass effectively or be accurate, I wouldn’t try it. A lot of CH’s rushing total came from the QB scrambling and just flat out making positive yards out of nothing. I wouldn’t think the Kilgore QB is as fast or agile as the CH QB??

Kilgore has always had a strong running game. I think that will be their strength, but the QB is also pretty good. VanZandt can sling it. I think Kilgore's QB is MUCH better than CH's QB at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SHillBuckeye said:

We know Kilgore is a run heavy team, but how is the passing game? They will get yards on the ground, but I think they will need to be able to pass, especially if they fall behind. Again, I’m praising the Buckeye secondary, if you can’t pass effectively or be accurate, I wouldn’t try it. A lot of CH’s rushing total came from the QB scrambling and just flat out making positive yards out of nothing. I wouldn’t think the Kilgore QB is as fast or agile as the CH QB??

QB is not much of a running threat...yes, Kilgore is still a run first offense but they are not the old 3-5 pass a game type offense...we will throw it as much as needed...20-30 times a game...QB is a vey good passer and has some good receivers to throw to...he threw for 2200 yds and 22 td's last year....he struggled last Friday against Carthage and had a couple of 50/50 balls picked (not his best thrown balls)...Carthage DB made some great plays...also, made a few other arrant throws and few dropped passes...I look for him to be much better this week

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, SHillBuckeye said:

We know Kilgore is a run heavy team, but how is the passing game? They will get yards on the ground, but I think they will need to be able to pass, especially if they fall behind. Again, I’m praising the Buckeye secondary, if you can’t pass effectively or be accurate, I wouldn’t try it. A lot of CH’s rushing total came from the QB scrambling and just flat out making positive yards out of nothing. I wouldn’t think the Kilgore QB is as fast or agile as the CH QB??

In week 1 at least, Kilgore did prefer the run and that is where they had the most success. The main ball carrier was a very strong runner who was getting yards after contact.  They did throw the ball and the QB is capable of getting the ball downfield. I don’t think he had as good a night as he is capable of. As @kdogs00said, Kilgore lost on a few 50/50 jump balls and had a would be TD pass that if I recall was maybe a bit behind an open WR in the end zone. I’d be surprised if the week 1 game isn’t Kilgore’s worst game passing the ball by the end of the season. Which is not to say Carthage will be the best secondary they gave, but I’m saying you can see the pieces there but just weren’t clicking 100% week 1. There is definitely potential.
 

As far as I recall the QB did not really attempt to take off and run any. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/27/2022 at 5:18 PM, bansheefan03 said:

Well everyone knew chill was not very good defense so no surprise on gilmer putting up the points they did but but with chill putting up 27 pts with 7-8 turnovers kinda puts a big question mark on that gilmer defense 

Turnovers are a part of the game…

can’t discredit that….

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/29/2022 at 2:00 PM, LetsGoEagles said:

I don’t see any reason to believe Gilmer will smoke Kilgore. Could they win? Absolutely. Could Kilgore win? If you don’t think so, you’re a fool. I expect a great game. To me, it’s a toss up. 

Not your USUAL Kilgore team in my opinion.. I believe this will be a 3 TD win in Gilmer’s favor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, LordSensei said:

Not your USUAL Kilgore team in my opinion.. I believe this will be a 3 TD win in Gilmer’s favor

I don't think you can say this is not a usual Kilgore team based on an opening season loss to Carthage...Kilgore still has a ton of talent on this team...you might be just more safe to say Kilgore is not playing like Kilgore is capable of playing right now....I mean heck, we started the season last year beating Nac and Hallsville...then PT put it on us 42-27 and nobody cashed in the season based off that....I believe how good Kilgore can or will be is yet to be seen!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kilgore is BIG, Kilgore is talented and Kilgore will improve from their performance last week. I watched the film. Their Carthage game was a lot closer than the scoreboard indicated. But Kilgore looked like a WEEK 1 team and Carthage looked to be in mid season form. They took what Kilgore gave them and really capitalized on those soft edges on the Kilgore Defense. That is what good and well-coaches teams do. They force mistakes, limit their own and create advantageous matchups and situations.

Kinda like what the Black Flag did against Chapel Hill.  I didn’t see anything on film from Kilgore that was scarier than those two “Super Sophs” wearing yellow and blue last week. Both of those kids (and their entire team) are absolute STUDS. Kilgore has two very good DTs, and the Buckeye O-Line will get a real test on Friday for sure! But it is the first home game, and the Buckeyes will Get better too.

As in any matchup with good and talent filled teams, it will come down to the team that wins the turnover battle, wins at the LoS, limits mistakes while forcing some from opponents that will win. Gilmer has a GAUNTLET of a pre district schedule, but things could not have started any better for this team. Kilgore is going to have to BEAT the Buckeyes, on the road, without much mental momentum. 

Home Field advantage on all fronts. Good luck and stay healthy to all!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kdogs00 said:

I don't think you can say this is not a usual Kilgore team based on an opening season loss to Carthage...Kilgore still has a ton of talent on this team...you might be just more safe to say Kilgore is not playing like Kilgore is capable of playing right now....I mean heck, we started the season last year beating Nac and Hallsville...then PT put it on us 42-27 and nobody cashed in the season based off that....I believe how good Kilgore can or will be is yet to be seen!!!

You’re right. But I didn’t say y’all are trash. Kilgore is still or can be really good, I’m just saying, In MY opinion this isn’t one of Kilgores better teams we’ve seen in the past, considering what’s been lost and what y’all have had recently.. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LordSensei said:

You’re right. But I didn’t say y’all are trash. Kilgore is still or can be really good, I’m just saying, In MY opinion this isn’t one of Kilgores better teams we’ve seen in the past, considering what’s been lost and what y’all have had recently.. 

Based on a week 1 loss to Carthage? SMH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

In week 1 at least, Kilgore did prefer the run and that is where they had the most success. The main ball carrier was a very strong runner who was getting yards after contact.  They did throw the ball and the QB is capable of getting the ball downfield. I don’t think he had as good a night as he is capable of. As @kdogs00said, Kilgore lost on a few 50/50 jump balls and had a would be TD pass that if I recall was maybe a bit behind an open WR in the end zone. I’d be surprised if the week 1 game isn’t Kilgore’s worst game passing the ball by the end of the season. Which is not to say Carthage will be the best secondary they gave, but I’m saying you can see the pieces there but just weren’t clicking 100% week 1. There is definitely potential.
 

As far as I recall the QB did not really attempt to take off and run any. 

I agree with all of this.

Kilgore has some players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I agree with all of this.

Kilgore has some players.

After all the balance I was spouting to Carthdawg77 last year, something was off for Kilgore to appear so run heavy last week. Hopefully whatever it was gets addressed and a much different Kilgore team shows up tomorrow night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, KildogDad said:

After all the balance I was spouting to Carthdawg77 last year, something was off for Kilgore to appear so run heavy last week. Hopefully whatever it was gets addressed and a much different Kilgore team shows up tomorrow night.

The Panola Watchman had VanZandt completing 12 passes on 23 attempts.  I feel like 23 is a good number of pass attempts.  I couldn't find the number of carries for the RB, though I do know he seemed to be the most effective thing Kilgore had going for them in week 1.  But maybe the passing game had to take more attempts due to getting behind the chains on several drives with penalties, a few sacks, and the occasional early down loss of yards.  I think Kilgore improves from week 1 and makes a good game with Gilmer.  I don't know if it will be enough to win, but Week 2 will tell everyone much more about both of these teams.  

Gilmer naysayers will point to the insane amount of turnovers in the CH game to say it really should have been a closer game with maybe even CH winning (Sideline to Sideline said it, not my words lol).  

Kilgore naysayers will question that even though the loss was to Carthage, that maybe Kilgore just isn't going to be that good this year.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

The Panola Watchman had VanZandt completing 12 passes on 23 attempts.  I feel like 23 is a good number of pass attempts.  I couldn't find the number of carries for the RB, though I do know he seemed to be the most effective thing Kilgore had going for them in week 1.  But maybe the passing game had to take more attempts due to getting behind the chains on several drives with penalties, a few sacks, and the occasional early down loss of yards.  I think Kilgore improves from week 1 and makes a good game with Gilmer.  I don't know if it will be enough to win, but Week 2 will tell everyone much more about both of these teams.  

Gilmer naysayers will point to the insane amount of turnovers in the CH game to say it really should have been a closer game with maybe even CH winning (Sideline to Sideline said it, not my words lol).  

Kilgore naysayers will question that even though the loss was to Carthage, that maybe Kilgore just isn't going to be that good this year.  

all we can do is let the kids play and see what happens..🤷‍♂️

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...