Poor East Texas newspaper football coverage

marvda1

New company has taken over Tyler, Longview and Marshall. They have 3 good writers while the other is less than but….yea, it’s been rough.

Can’t remember the last time we didn’t have a feature article heading into the season opener, but we barely got a blurb from Thomas on Friday. Horrendous coverage. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Can’t speak for the other papers in East Texas…. But the coverage in the Longview news journal and Marshall Messenger was atrocious for Longview, PT, and Marshall  

We went from 2-3 BIG pregame articles a week and 2 postgame writeups to a pregame capsule and 1 post game article. 

What annoys me even more is that I’m paying for the E edition and the coverage is worse than ever   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guest Tiger03lb

Local tv/news covered the WR/Koff game. When she was talking about the highlights, you could tell she didn't see or know the score of the game and was talking up WR until she mentioned the score. Man that was funny. 

2 East Texas Mainstays that covered east texas football left the business in the last few weeks. Nac's paper lost their long time sports writer and we grabbed someone from the Marshall paper. Kaleb with KTRE took a job at Lufkin ISD. 

2 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Can’t speak for the other papers in East Texas…. But the coverage in the Longview news journal and Marshall Messenger was atrocious for Longview, PT, and Marshall  

We went from 2-3 BIG pregame articles a week and 2 postgame writeups to a pregame capsule and 1 post game article. 

What annoys me even more is that I’m paying for the E edition and the coverage is worse than ever   

It blows my mind that newspapers want to charge the same rate for online E editions as they do for the printed version ... they could reduce their online only rates 50% and more than double their subscriptions ....

10 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

It blows my mind that newspapers want to charge the same rate for online E editions as they do for the printed version ... they could reduce their online only rates 50% and more than double their subscriptions ....

If the poor coverage continues...I'll be cancelling.  

The loss of advertising & classified revenue has killed the newspaper industry and they are struggling to survive. 30 years ago, the papers covered Varsity, JV, Frosh, Middle school, Little League, Bowling, etc… . The papers were looking for the human interest stories to sell ads. 60 years ago, neighborhood shoppers took most of the classified ad revenue. Newspapers were able to survive with advertising inserts. The advent of the web based business now advertises direct to the consumer. The major city papers are struggling right along with your local papers. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Spring Hill got multiple articles in the LNJ.  😂

21 minutes ago, bordertown said:

The loss of advertising & classified revenue has killed the newspaper industry and they are struggling to survive. 30 years ago, the papers covered Varsity, JV, Frosh, Middle school, Little League, Bowling, etc… . The papers were looking for the human interest stories to sell ads. 60 years ago, neighborhood shoppers took most of the classified ad revenue. Newspapers were able to survive with advertising inserts. The advent of the web based business now advertises direct to the consumer. The major city papers are struggling right along with your local papers. 

THIS!
You left out Craig's List, which took over classified ads more than 20 years ago. 

I am in this business. It is only because I am a lifelong pessimist who has tried to save and invest everything I ever made that I am not bankrupt and living under a bridge.

26 minutes ago, bordertown said:

I get that....and I agree it's an issue.
But it's aggravating to me that I'm paying MORE for the e-ditions to get a small fraction of the coverage we use to get.

Get the SID's to wright the articles.  Or journalism students.  Or local college students.  Anything but a freaking pregame capsule and a blurb write up on the "weekend edition" to wrap it up.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bordertown said:

Co-sign on all this, and another consequence is that most papers can only afford to pay young reporters with minimal experience. The result is a loss of various intangibles that can only come with experience. 

Thus, by the time you get a seasoned, skilled reporter—who finally has it all figured out—he's suddenly become more valuable than the paper can afford. Which is why so many of us eventually jump ship to marketing/PR or other better-paying and less demanding industries once we decide that we want a nicer house, car, and to actually see our families. 

In days of yore a local print journalist could raise a family on newspaper reporter's salary. That time is gone. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 36gut said:

THIS!
You left out Craig's List, which took over classified ads more than 20 years ago. 

I am in this business. It is only because I am a lifelong pessimist who has tried to save and invest everything I ever made that I am not bankrupt and living under a bridge.

Actually I think Craig’s List and Facebook killed the Shoppers. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I get that....and I agree it's an issue.
But it's aggravating to me that I'm paying MORE for the e-ditions to get a small fraction of the coverage we use to get.

Get the SID's to wright the articles.  Or journalism students.  Or local college students.  Anything but a freaking pregame capsule and a blurb write up on the "weekend edition" to wrap it up.

What I have seen is the local papers will cover the Big 3 varsity sports. If the other programs want coverage, the coaches or a parent need to submit to the paper. But volunteerism is dying …. that is why we appreciate what you do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bordertown said:

What I have seen is the local papers will cover the Big 3 varsity sports. If the other programs want coverage, the coaches or a parent need to submit to the paper. But volunteerism is dying …. that is why we appreciate what you do.

VERY WELCOME

I do it because I love it....and also because I think the kids deserve it.

• Like 2

My father was a newspaper man in communities similar to Longview & Texarkana. I have had a front seat to their demise. He was a newspaper man to his death. I had breakfast with him at an independent living community. As we were leaving the dining area, there was a gentleman reading the community copy of the paper. My father muttered “cheapskate” when he saw him as he didn’t have his own subscription. Don’t be a cheapskate!

• Like 2

Ironically, I signed up for a subscription to the Tyler paper about three weeks before they announced they would be cutting back on the number of papers delivered to my house.  I don't care about the online edition...heck, I have the entire internet at my beck and call if I want to search electronically.  

• Like 1