5A-D2 Week 2: #5 Argyle Eagles @ #2 Lovejoy Leopards

regaleagle

Argyle @ Lovejoy   

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

Looks like Lovejoy was working two Qb's last week in their big win 52-27 against College Station.  Argyle alternated two Qb's also against Melissa in their 37-18 win at home.  The QB position for the Eagles this season is still "a work in progress" for the offense......I'm guessing it's a little more settled over at Lovejoy, though.  I hope Argyle will show up with a cleaner total game this week than they played last week.  There were plenty of mistakes made and times plays were NOT made that should or could have been.  But it was the first game of the season against a quality opponent.  Now the Eagles will face an even higher quality opponent this week.

On the other hand, both QB's for Argyle just missed some wide-open receivers last week that could have been TD's.  The throws were just not close, and then sometimes they didn't even see the wide-open guy.  Other times......they threw the same short pass over and over and over again.....and got one picked.  The running game was a bright spot, though......for the first game.  Not hitting on but half the cylinders last week, but still managed a decent offensive output.

Maybe Argyle's offense will be more effective this week with another week "under the belt" after playing against a pretty darn good defense.  And maybe Lovejoy won't be as familiar with Argyle as Melissa is......but Argyle was very familiar with Melissa too.  I think this game will show whether Argyle can defend against a prolific passing attack with some very quality receivers, and then be able to match Lovejoy's scores with their own.  I don't think the scoring will be low......both offenses should be able to score, one way or another. 

I just don’t see Argyle being able to stop or slow down Lovejoy’s offense.  If what I have seen about Argyle’s offense is true then they will not be able to put up enough points against a good Lovejoy defense. Lovejoy is just too good and wins in rather convincing fashion. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bingosmith said:

I just don’t see Argyle being able to stop or slow down Lovejoy’s offense.  If what I have seen about Argyle’s offense is true then they will not be able to put up enough points against a good Lovejoy defense. Lovejoy is just too good and wins in rather convincing fashion. 

I'm pretty certain neither of Argyle's QB's will be able to make a leap that big from Week 1 to Week 2.  The secondary may not be able to cover either.....which can be expected trying to defend against a good QB and high quality receivers.  The core of the team at this juncture is the defense......they might be able to limit LJ's Qb and Rb's some and take away time of possession.  The Argyle running game might be able to do the same.

11 hours ago, bingosmith said:

Argyle did have 5 interceptions against Melissa, but turned it over on offense  with 2 int's and a fumble. But very low completion percentages and Qb ratings from both quarterbacks.  Some of that came from Melissa's speedy d-backs breaking up the passes, and some from uncatchable passes. Maybe a couple of dropped passes too.  The numbers were not good......they were not typical for Argyle's passing game.

21 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Looks like Lovejoy was working two Qb's last week in their big win 52-27 against College Station.  Argyle alternated two Qb's also against Melissa in their 37-18 win at home.  The QB position for the Eagles this season is still "a work in progress" for the offense......I'm guessing it's a little more settled over at Lovejoy, though.  I hope Argyle will show up with a cleaner total game this week than they played last week.  There were plenty of mistakes made and times plays were NOT made that should or could have been.  But it was the first game of the season against a quality opponent.  Now the Eagles will face an even higher quality opponent this week.

3 QB’s.  Each threw for at least 2 TD’s.

This Lovejoy team I think is going to end the year being really really good! They have playmakers everywhere on the field and the offense is so tough to defend. They are very disciplined and well coached same as Argyle though. I like Lovejoy in this one by maybe two scores or more. I make that pick with hesitancy because Argyle rarely ever gets taken to the woodshed by a team but I think Lovejoy is really ahead of the game as far as continuity and I think this could open up a bit in the second half.

3 hours ago, collincountyfootball1 said:

This Lovejoy team I think is going to end the year being really really good! They have playmakers everywhere on the field and the offense is so tough to defend. They are very disciplined and well coached same as Argyle though. I like Lovejoy in this one by maybe two scores or more. I make that pick with hesitancy because Argyle rarely ever gets taken to the woodshed by a team but I think Lovejoy is really ahead of the game as far as continuity and I think this could open up a bit in the second half.

I listened to the Argyle Melissa game and watched the Maxpreps highlight reel.  Does Argyle send multiple players both ways?

2 hours ago, Leopard4Life said:

I listened to the Argyle Melissa game and watched the Maxpreps highlight reel.  Does Argyle send multiple players both ways?

Nope......they even platoon when they can to get everybody as much playing time as possible.  Usually they have completely separate teams for offense and defense.  Kicking games may include some guys that are starters on one or the other, but even those are composed of bench players getting their minutes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Lovejoy by a couple scores.

Yep....I stated 2 TD's on the Melissa thread.....IF the Eagles D played tough and was able to get some key stops. I'm a realist.....it will be tall cotton for Argyle to go into Leopard Stadium this season and get a W.   But this kind of opponent will help to expose Argyle's greatest deficiencies early in the season so they can really  work harder in that part of their game.  Nothing motivates better than being exposed.

Looks like the Leopards have some very speedy skill guys, and #16 QB Brayden Hagle(6-1/190/Sr) is very accurate. He gets rid of it quickly and on target. Lots of speedy skill players on this team......get them the ball in space quickly and they can pick up lots of yards.  Good RB's too.  Defense looks faster than Argyle's. Lovejoy actually has so much depth at most positions that they can run full blast and fast on offense, and have fresh legs on D.  College Station had about the same amount of varsity players as Argyle.....around 55.  Lovejoy must have triple that, but probably only suit about 100 for the game......maybe more, it's hard to tell.  Their roster lists 225, but I suspect many of those are JVers that practiced with the varsity.

6 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Will Lovejoy have a video Livestream of this game?  I'm hearing they will have one on Sportsgram.net with their Leopards Network doing the play by play call......for free.  I know the NFHS subscribers can watch it this week on that channel.

Yes, video on both sportsgram and NFHS.  

13 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Looks like the Leopards have some very speedy skill guys, and #16 QB Brayden Hagle(6-1/190/Sr) is very accurate. He gets rid of it quickly and on target. Lots of speedy skill players on this team......get them the ball in space quickly and they can pick up lots of yards.  Good RB's too.  Defense looks faster than Argyle's. Lovejoy actually has so much depth at most positions that they can run full blast and fast on offense, and have fresh legs on D.  College Station had about the same amount of varsity players as Argyle.....around 55.  Lovejoy must have triple that, but probably only suit about 100 for the game......maybe more, it's hard to tell.  Their roster lists 225, but I suspect many of those are JVers that practiced with the varsity.

LJ suited up 55 on Varsity vs CS.  

I know most viewers here will assume I voted for Argyle to win this one.......but I didn't.  I'm a homer for sure, but the vote is about which team you feel will win.  After viewing both games from last week......it wasn't difficult for me to come to the conclusion that Argyle has some areas that Lovejoy will expose this week. The Eagles would have to make one giant leap in Week 2 to pull out a win this week.....especially since the game is not in Argyle.

• Love 1

On 8/31/2022 at 1:17 AM, regaleagle said:

Nope......they even platoon when they can to get everybody as much playing time as possible.  Usually they have completely separate teams for offense and defense.  Kicking games may include some guys that are starters on one or the other, but even those are composed of bench players getting their minutes.

There is an exception this season......the Felton Twins.  #19 Jaaquan(6-0/208) and #29 Jaamael(6-0/195) will alternate as receiver on offense, and then alternate as D-back on defense.  But some plays BOTH are in the game at the same time either offensively or defensively.  And BOTH are deep for the kickoffs and punts.  They are seniors this season.

Maybe only 5A fans would care, but I'm interested to see how #12 QB John Gailey(6-2/195/Jr) develops this season. He throws a very nice ball effortlessly and stands very tall in the pocket.  Of course he's not near the running threat or as mobile as #3 Jacob Robinson(6-2/185/Sr) and doesn't have the gametime experience as Robinson, but he IS only a junior.  That means his upside potential must be considered by the OC and Coach Rodgers for next year.  So far he has sailed quite a few and tried to force throws right into double coverages......or maybe didn't see or read the coverages.  He's green now, but could ripen as the season progresses with more playing time and work.