SFA Looking At System Affiliation, NO Name Change

Stoney

I think that has been the allure to the Tech system.

UT would 100% require a name change, but also I don't think they are a good fit. The Texas State system is awful. That leaves A&M and Tech as the two most likely options. I think A&M might be the best fit, but the chances of a name change keep me from going there. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LOL said:

UT-Nacogdoches? Texas A&M-Nacogdoches? 

SFA has an iconic name. It's be a terrible marketing move just to re-brand it like a directional school or something. 

UT-SFA or Texas A&M-SFA Would be acceptable........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Anything that drops SFA from the name and I'll withdraw all support......I am an alumnus of SFA NOT some other name.......

You might want to listen to the interim head of SFA. He’s totally up for a name change. 

3 hours ago, topher805 said:

I think that has been the allure to the Tech system.

UT would 100% require a name change, but also I don't think they are a good fit. The Texas State system is awful. That leaves A&M and Tech as the two most likely options. I think A&M might be the best fit, but the chances of a name change keep me from going there. 

Tarlton kept their name - Their the better half of A&M 

• Like 1

Since this is a sports forum...... I wonder how becoming a member in a system would affect the autonomy of the athletic department?

Could it have influence on coaching changes, salaries, ticket prices. Would schools within the same system be competing against each other on the field / court AND also in the administrative / personnel aspect ?

1 hour ago, PostSurfer said:

Since this is a sports forum...... I wonder how becoming a member in a system would affect the autonomy of the athletic department?

Could it have influence on coaching changes, salaries, ticket prices. Would schools within the same system be competing against each other on the field / court AND also in the administrative / personnel aspect ?

Sam Houston is apparently a part of Texas State’s system. Sam Houston has a much better athletic department than Texas State does. 

On 8/31/2022 at 8:41 AM, LOL said:

UT-Nacogdoches? Texas A&M-Nacogdoches? 

SFA has an iconic name. It's be a terrible marketing move just to re-brand it like a directional school or something. 

Agree, 100%!

This would just feel so wrong, I mean, are they cash strapped or something?

I’d be surprised if SFASU is not in good financial standing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Agree, 100%!

UT-SFA ok....

Texas A& M-SFA....ok 

Texas Tech-SFA ....ok 

As long as SFA stays in the name I'm good......

15 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Agree, 100%!

They aren’t in bad shape. President Gordon, before he was canned, was doing an extremely good job fundraising. Ivey does a phenomenal job with athletics. That said, finances could be better. Rumor has it, it might get ugly if enrollment doesn’t start moving up. 

10 hours ago, topher805 said:

They aren’t in bad shape. President Gordon, before he was canned, was doing an extremely good job fundraising. Ivey does a phenomenal job with athletics. That said, finances could be better. Rumor has it, it might get ugly if enrollment doesn’t start moving up. 

What is the fall enrollment at SFA have you heard?

Freshmen largest class ever at SHSU this fall up 15% from last Fall

I don't think that going to another system is a good idea. Then they will be dependent upon that system. 

The real question is "why" is enrollment down? 

SFA has a great Forestry program and Education program--2 programs that are not faring well in the world today. 

We continue to lose forests--and the pay, well it is just so-so. 

And educators are leaving the field left and right--because teachers are the blame for everything in today's society. Wokeness, Undisciplined children, lack of reading and math skills, can't leave a child behind--all for a salary just a bit higher than working at Chik-fil-a. And who doesn't blame the Teacher--politicians, administrators, parents. 

So unless SFA does a better job of recruiting local students to the school--finding a way to make it somewhat cost effective, they will continue to lose students and have to join some 3rd party system--just to stay afloat. But high costs and being in the middle of no where does not help recruiting for the average student. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/10/21/stephen-f-austin-state-university-system-interviews/?utm_campaign=trib-social&utm_content=1666367402&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook 

From the article: "They all also reassured SFA that it would be able to retain its university name, colors and identity as Lumberjacks"

• Love 1

• RETIREDFAN1 changed the title to SFA Looking At System Affiliation, NO Name Change