SFA Looking At System Affiliation, NO Name Change

Stoney

Yes 2/3 goes to the UT system and 1/3 to A&M. As the money originally for the two campuses, the legislature threatened to break up the PUF. (The following is my understanding, but may not be totally accurate). A compromise was to create a UT and A&M system to include other schools. A&M largely incorporated existing universities such as West Texas State, Texas A&I, Tarleton St, & East Texas St. UT system took on Texas Western (UTEP), Arlington State College (UTA - from Texas A&M), and Pan American University (UTRGV). But the UT System took on establishing new ground up universities, including UTSA, UT-Dallas, UT-Tyler, and UT-Tyler. I assume this was an agreement between the legislature and the two schools. Unless it has changed, the PUF can only be used for facilities. The fact the UT share of the PUF is 2x A&M’s share, the UT system has more financial wherewithal to grow plant universities. 

Edited by bordertown

19 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Can anyone translate this? Does anyone speak Senile Idiot language? Lion70 still around? Lol

While older, but not as old, I have always been bi-lingual--English & East Texan (senile).

He says he jokes about your aggies, because he really wants to be one.....

Your coach needs to go......

Your coach is overpaid......

And Texas will be in the SEC & will go back to being the Parent that the aggies need to discipline them.....:rofl:

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, DannyZuco said:

While older, but not as old, I have always been bi-lingual--English & East Texan (senile).

And Texas will be in the SEC & will go back to being the Parent that the aggies need to discipline them.....:rofl:

Ah. So the exact same stuff he's said every other week. I appreciate the effort. 

3 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

:rofl: .....

• 3 weeks later...

Hasn't made the "news" on the University of Texas Systems pages yet.....but they might have to vote also, to accept SFA....

Will it become "The University of Texas-Stephen F Austin or Stephen F Austin a University of Texas System School? 

https://www.ketk.com/news/local-news/subcommittee-recommends-sfa-joins-university-of-texas-system/

1 minute ago, DannyZuco said:

Hasn't made the "news" on the University of Texas Systems pages yet.....but they might have to vote also, to accept SFA....

Will it become "The University of Texas-Stephen F Austin or Stephen F Austin a University of Texas System School? 

https://www.ketk.com/news/local-news/subcommittee-recommends-sfa-joins-university-of-texas-system/

Will remain Stephen F. Austin .......

The OFFICIAL Announcement:

After a comprehensive process evaluating affiliation with a university system, including responses and feedback from student, faculty, staff and alumni stakeholder groups, as well as the general public, the SFA Board of Regents voted during its special meeting today to accept the invitation of The University of Texas System to become a member institution. 

“We are excited about the enormous opportunities this affiliation will provide for our students, faculty and staff,” said Karen Gantt, SFA Board of Regents chair. “We know that the future of SFA will be enhanced by becoming a member of the leading university system in the country.”

With today’s affiliation announcement, the next step is for SFA and UT System officials to collaborate with legislative leaders on the legislation that will enable this governance change during the upcoming session, SFA’s interim President Dr. Steve Westbrook explained.

SFA will retain its name, brand and culture. Read more at gosfa.com/utsystem.

3 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

It won't......keeping the name was negotiated into the deal........

At least they didn't join up with the aggys ... I heard a rumor that the aggys offered to sweeten the deal and  throw in Jumbo Fisher  ...  that was a deal breaker for SFA .... :woot:

• LOL! 3

• 3 weeks later...

I know one of the Regents.  She said the UT offer was by far the best offer.  The Tech deal would actually cost SFA in the long run.  As a SFA alum...I don't want to see SFA struggle, so maybe this change will be the best for the long term viability of the University.

Edited by Deadduk
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...