China Spring (1-0) at Melissa (0-1)

Texski

China Spring (not Springs!) makes the long trip north to face Melissa tonight an a very interesting inter-classification matchup. If Melissa had 18 less students last October they'd be in the same classification, but guess same can be said for CS as they are one of the smallest 4A D1 schools.  

Melissa originally had a tentative matchup with Denton Ryan this week but Ryan scheduled Bryant, AR (team that played Longview last year) so this matchup worked out a little better for Melissa. China Spring are defending state 4A D2 champs now on a 17 game win streak that opened with an impressive 38-20 win over defending 3A D1 champ Lorena. Melissa played well in 1st quarter at Argyle last week, but 5 turnovers and conditioning ultimately doomed them as Argyle outscored them 23-0 after that.

I think CS should be a slight favorite in this one but all the DMN pickers went with Melissa. Think the Cards may be missing a key player or two tonight due to concussion issues. Thinking Melissa may give QB2 some more looks tonight too.

Melissa has too many athletic players to be losing games......regardless of who may be out with an injury.  That QB Trever Ham(6-0/175/Jr)last week looked pretty good to me for never starting a varsity game before.......I would stick with him and give him another game under his belt this week.  The RB Nathan Adejoken(6-0/180/Jr) was very impressive......he will have an electric season this year. There are a multitude of receivers.....esp. Karson Maynard(6-4/175/Jr), Kennedy Brantley(6-5/205/Jr), and Jayvon Smith(5-9/175/Sr).....that can make any secondary look bad.  That don't even count about 3 or 4 more guys they insert into the game that can burn you too.  And the size of  the lines......wow.  This Cardinals team just needs some time for all of these talented players to mesh together.......then LOOK OUT LOVEJOY!!  There......I said it again.

CS was over by 4 students. They got down early, but battled back and scored in the last minute to win 42-41. Had them on live stream, and was listening on radio to Stephenville/ Everman. The Ville scored on the last play of the game to win 62-61. The scores in both games came almost at the exact time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcretired said:

CS was over by 4 students. They got down early, but battled back and scored in the last minute to win 42-41. Had them on live stream, and was listening on radio to Stephenville/ Everman. The Ville scored on the last play of the game to win 62-61. The scores in both games came almost at the exact time.

Didn’t C S turn in 904 and wasn’t the cutoff number 880 ?

I don't know what to think of Melissa......they have all the athletic players you could ask for at this level, and then some.  I beginning to believe the Melissa posters......that the problem lies elsewhere.....just sayin'.   Maybe the Coaching staff just needs more time to bring the team around......we'll see what happens.

22 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I don't know what to think of Melissa......they have all the athletic players you could ask for at this level, and then some.  I beginning to believe the Melissa posters......that the problem lies elsewhere.....just sayin'.   Maybe the Coaching staff just needs more time to bring the team around......we'll see what happens.

Saw the game on livestream and can definitely say that Melissa had the upper hand as far as size and athletes go. CS kids fought their tails off and IMO were more disciplined. I can easily see Melissa making a deep playoff run once they get some things figured out.