College Football Playoff

Lobo97

Just now, Valhalla said:

I would rather have that than two or three loss teams winning the title.

so then the best team doesn't win...

I guess if you lose a basketball game, you shouldn't be eligible either? don't say, "well it's football, so it's better"...if you don't get the strongest team in the end then it's not a true champion.

2 hours ago, PelvisPresley said:

so then the best team doesn't win...

I guess if you lose a basketball game, you shouldn't be eligible either? don't say, "well it's football, so it's better"...if you don't get the strongest team in the end then it's not a true champion.

Agree with this point, shouldn't we want the "BEST" team at the end of the year to be champion, not the team that won in September, but might have lost 1 game at the end of the year, didn't even make their conference championship, and makes a 4 team playoff because 16 people get sit and decide who makes it. 

This could happen this year. Michigan or Ohio State could lose to each other, not play in conference championship and still have a chance to make the playoffs. As could Georgia, Tennessee, & Alabama....Tennessee beats Georgia, Alabama beats Tennessee in Championship game--3 SEC teams left with 1 lose--who doesn't go? 

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I would rather have that than two or three loss teams winning the title.

Heck no,  not me! 

I'll take the most top 25 match ups I can get,  especially late in the season! 

Would you also prefer only the top 4 ranked high school football teams be allowed in the playoffs? 

What about NFL, only 4 there also?

Edited by trashyhound
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, trashyhound said:

Heck no,  not me! 

I'll take the most top 25 match ups I can get,  especially late in the season! 

Would you also prefer only the top 4 ranked high school football teams be allowed in the playoffs? 

What about NFL, only 4 there also?

High school - I would be good with just the district champions again. 

NFL - Yes

3 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

NFL - Yes

I can't fathom anyone wanting less playoff football.  

So if Carthage is hands down the best in the state but because of injuries to 2 QBs in a freak game they lose to Van or somebody.  Then you're perfectly OK with them missing the playoffs? 

A 3 game NFL playoff,  oh what fun

Edited by trashyhound

1 minute ago, trashyhound said:

So if Carthage is hands down the best in the state but because of injuries to 2 QBs in a freak game they lose to Van or somebody.  Then you're perfectly OK with them missing the playoffs? 

I don’t enjoy it when a mediocre team all year has 3 good weeks. 

2 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

That’s how it is sometime. Football is a sport about overcoming adversity.

3 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Why? 

I can't see the harm in taking multiple

My gosh, in our state we have had an 0-10 team make the playoffs.

Too many teams in the playoffs for high school football---I thought the reason for high schools was for education...and I am a former coach....4 teams WAY too many. 3 teams TOO many. 2 Teams really too many, but could compromise on that. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/11/texas-high-school-winless-playoffs

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

My gosh, in our state we have had an 0-10 team make the playoffs.

Too many teams in the playoffs for high school football---I thought the reason for high schools was for education...and I am a former coach....4 teams WAY too many. 3 teams TOO many. 2 Teams really too many, but could compromise on that. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/11/texas-high-school-winless-playoffs

That was a technicality but ok,

how did that team do in round 2? 

So what was hurt? A bunch of kids on a terrible team got to go get their head kicked in in a "playoff" game.  What a tragedy

17 hours ago, Valhalla said:

NFL - Yes

I enjoyed the top 2 in each district days for HS.

I think where we struggle with college and pro is that A) yes, we want the best teams winning the championship, but B) we also want football to be played more with meaningful games.  

I love the bowls as much as anyone else, but only 3 games each year actually matter.  Expand the playoff 2 more weeks, we are in football heaven as college fans.

I agree we currently have too many HS teams that make the playoffs, but going from how many teams make it now, to only the district champ is simply going from one extreme to another. Why is it so difficult to find the happy medium?

I think the Top 2 teams from each district would be perfect. As the point that was made above, what if you have key players out with injury? What if what makes the best team in any given year, their ability to throw the football all over the field, and they have a game with an absolute downpour? Saying, 'it's about overcoming adversity', it's not always that simple. You can't say you want the best teams only, when the best team gets left out based on the outcome of a single game, especially if that outcome was due to something out of their control. 

It works the same in college football. Choosing who you 'THINK' are the best teams is very subjective and opinionated. That's the problem with limiting the number of qualifying teams to only a few. But again, that doesn't mean you have to go to the opposite extreme and add too many either. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I agree we currently have too many HS teams that make the playoffs, but going from how many teams make it now, to only the district champ is simply going from one extreme to another. Why is it so difficult to find the happy medium?

I think the Top 2 teams from each district would be perfect.

If I remember correctly, I think HS baseball does this. Or maybe its top 3. But I think it works great.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Valhalla said:

That’s how it is sometime. Football is a sport about overcoming adversity.

OMG, give me a freaking break...all sports it's about that, but using college basketball as an example...think about those teams like Villanova that have won or if a Georgetown or even Gonzaga now...those teams would have been left out totally.

In HS, yeah...heck just go to a 4 team playoff...top ranked team from each region. Or put 10 principals in a room to vote for the 4...wow, that would be great!!!

Edited by PelvisPresley

1 hour ago, PelvisPresley said:

OMG, give me a freaking break...all sports it's about that, but using college basketball as an example...think about those teams like Villanova that have won or if a Georgetown or even Gonzaga now...those teams would have been left out totally.

In HS, yeah...heck just go to a 4 team playoff...top ranked team from each region. Or put 10 principals in a room to vote for the 4...wow, that would be great!!!

Yeah like how nobody watched whole regular season until the playoff. 

Using basketball 🏀 only hurts your arguement.

• Like 1

So this scenerio keeps coming up on sports shows. If these schools don't lose to anyone else.

Georgia loses to Tennessee

Alabama Beats Tennessee in Championship Game

Ohio State loses to Michigan

Michigan Loses Big 10 Championship

Clemson remains undefeated

Oregon Wins out--only lose to Georgia at beginning of year

Oklahoma State Beats Undefeated TCU in Championship Game.

Who makes the playoffs from this group of teams. 

Me: 

Clemson Gets #1 seed--Won their Conference

Alabama-#2 seed--Won their conference

Oregon-#3--Won their Conference

Oklahoma State #4--Won their Conference

Edited by DannyZuco

43 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

So this scenerio keeps coming up on sports shows. If these schools don't lose to anyone else.

Georgia loses to Tennessee

Alabama Beats Tennessee in Championship Game

Ohio State loses to Michigan

Michigan Loses Big 10 Championship

Clemson remains undefeated

Oregon Wins out--only lose to Georgia at beginning of year

Oklahoma State Beats Undefeated TCU in Championship Game.

Who makes the playoffs from this group of teams. 

Me: 

Clemson Gets #1 seed--Won their Conference

Alabama-#2 seed--Won their conference

Oregon-#3--Won their Conference

Oklahoma State #4--Won their Conference

I think you get 1 and 2 right in this scenario.

USC very well could run the rest of their schedule and then beat Oregon for the PAC...ending with 1 loss. Oklahoma State would probably just wipe out a BIG12 bid with a win over TCU...even with both only having 1 loss. I'd enjoy the Cowboys though. USC going back and beating Oregon, could do the same for the PAC, allowing for a Tennessee or Georgia to sneak in.

21 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Yeah like how nobody watched whole regular season until the playoff. 

Using basketball 🏀 only hurts your arguement.

people don't pay attention to early basketball because their schedule is big enough they play throw away games to get the scrubs playing time (keep those donors happy) and blow some folks out, getting your team together. 

the schedule size will stay the same for football...I feel you'd have even better early matchups with a larger playoff for the same reasons...you can play your players, run your playing style and get it together against the best competition. I think it may still lead to a further split division in D1...about 1/2 up and about 1/2 down in division. 

Edited by PelvisPresley

1. Tennessee
2. Ohio State
3. Georgia
4. Clemson
5. Michigan
6. Alabama
7. TCU
8. Oregon
9. Southern California
10. LSU
11. Ole Miss