College Football Playoff

Lobo97

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

The LSU love was equally surprising 

Eh, that one’s not as crazy. Even in our poll, we have a plethora of teams that fall in our 10 spot. 

TCU not making the Top 4, but even Top 6 is just stupid. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lobo97 said:

Eh, that one’s not as crazy. Even in our poll, we have a plethora of teams that fall in our 10 spot. 

TCU not making the Top 4, but even Top 6 is just stupid. 

With the teams that TCU has beaten, I don’t get how they don’t have them over, at minimum, Alabama and Clemson

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

With the teams that TCU has beaten, I don’t get how they don’t have them over, at minimum, Alabama and Clemson

And that’s what makes it even worse. Staying in line with your comment, not only does TCU have more ranked wins over the very teams the committee ranked, but one of them, K State, is higher than the only current ranked win by Ohio State and Michigan. 

So an argument could be made using their own ranking, that TCU should be 3rd, with Tennessee and Georgia 1 and 2. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

If Texas or OU were undefeated with the exact same schedule as TCU, either of them would be in the Top 4. 

Without question. 

I think even a 1 loss Texas or OU with the tcu schedule is flirting with a top 4 ranking. 

• Like 1

Just goes to show you that a committee of 16 people picking 4 teams to play in a "championship" is nothing more than a popularity contest. NO 1 loss team should be ahead of an UNDEFEATED team.....

But the good thing----several of the top 5 teams will lose over the next 3-4 weeks.....so TCU will continue to rise if they continue to win.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Just goes to show you that a committee of 16 people picking 4 teams to play in a "championship" is nothing more than a popularity contest. NO 1 loss team should be ahead of an UNDEFEATED team.....

But the good thing----several of the top 5 teams will lose over the next 3-4 weeks.....so TCU will continue to rise if they continue to win.

Glorified Invitational tournament ....

• Like 1

This is top 25 wins based on CURRENT CFP SELECTION COMMITTEE POLLS:

1. Tennessee- #10 LSU, #6 Alabama,
2. Ohio State- #15 Penn St
3. Georgia- #8 Oregon
4. Clemson- #21 Wake Forest, #22 NC St, #20 Syracuse
5. Michigan- #15 Penn St
6. Alabama- #24 Texas
7. TCU- #18 Oklahoma St, #13 Kanas St
8. Oregon- #12 BYU
9. Southern California- #23 Oregon St
10. LSU- #11 Ole Miss,
11. Ole Miss- No top 25 wins
12. UCLA- #14 Utah
13. Kansas State- #16 Oklahoma St
14. Utah- #9 USC
15. Penn State- No Top 25 wins

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MavGrad99 said:

1. Tennessee- #10 LSU, #6 Alabama, (Valid)
2. Ohio State- #15 Penn St (not an issue being 2nd, but if Penn St is tOSU's big win, why is Michigan's big win worthy of 3 spots lower?)
3. Georgia- #8 Oregon (has been dominant, so #3 feels right)
4. Clemson- #21 Wake Forest, #22 NC St, #20 Syracuse (better overall resume than arguably anyone else in the top 15 other than Tennessee)
5. Michigan- #15 Penn St (see #2)
6. Alabama- #24 Texas (They've beaten 1 team with a pulse, and just barely)
7. TCU- #18 Oklahoma St, #13 Kanas St (2 top 20 wins is a better resume than anyone but Clemson and Tennessee)
8. Oregon- #12 UCLA (great win, spot seems right)
9. Southern California- #23 Oregon St (the team that beat them has the same amount of losses (1), and that loss was to #12 UCLA ... This is too high.  Switch to 14, move Utah up to 12, and UCLA to 9 and you will have less resistance.)
10. LSU- #11 Ole Miss, (too high for me.  I love my Tigahs, but they have 2 ugly losses)
11. Ole Miss- No top 25 wins (this says it all)
12. UCLA- #14 Utah (see #9)
13. Kansas State- #16 Oklahoma St  (#10 or 11 team for me)
14. Utah- #9 USC (see #9)
15. Penn State- No Top 25 wins (#15 is reasonable I guess.  Could easily be lower for now)

My takes on this colored above...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I don't know why you all continue to be surprised by the selection committee.

They have never taken TCU seriously. They left them out in 2014 when they were the best team in the country.

I believe them and Baylor were at least the 3rd and 4th best teams in the country.  That was one of the best games I have ever watched on TV. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

This is top 25 wins based on CURRENT CFP SELECTION COMMITTEE POLLS:

1. Tennessee- #10 LSU, #6 Alabama,
2. Ohio State- #15 Penn St
3. Georgia- #8 Oregon
4. Clemson- #21 Wake Forest, #22 NC St, #20 Syracuse
5. Michigan- #15 Penn St
6. Alabama- #24 Texas
7. TCU- #18 Oklahoma St, #13 Kanas St
8. Oregon- #12 BYU
9. Southern California- #23 Oregon St
10. LSU- #11 Ole Miss,
11. Ole Miss- No top 25 wins
12. UCLA- #14 Utah
13. Kansas State- #16 Oklahoma St
14. Utah- #9 USC
15. Penn State- No Top 25 wins

As of today, only 3 teams have multiple top 25 wins, I just hope we have 4 undefeated conference champions at the end of the regular season....

• Like 2

To move forward, we need to go backward?

I ain't giving ESPN my money, so here's the article that's hidden behind a paywall:

By the end of the BCS era, the formula had come around to a pretty simple overall construct: two polls were worth two-thirds of the rankings, and a set of (neutered) computer rankings accounted for one-third.

As a thought exercise, let's go back to that for a moment and see what it produces. What if we took the two most prominent college football polls (the AP poll and the Coaches poll) for the former piece and four computer ratings -- FPI and SP+ (both because they are two of the most accurate ratings available and they are very familiar to me) for team quality, strength of record and résumé SP+ (ditto) for proper résumé evaluation -- for the latter? This gives us the eyes of professional football writers and coaches, it gives us the emotionless, watch-every-game aspect that numbers perform better than humans, and it accounts for the ongoing and often conflicting "best vs. most deserving" debate that impacts any tournament selection. The committee always says it is choosing "best"; its constant and justifiable references to résumés prove it chooses "most deserving."
(Since we're playing around in Imagination Land, we don't have to consider the potential conflict-of-interest issues arising from ESPN-based formulas controlling the rankings and can just focus on what the formula produces. I love Imagination Land. My Twitter mentions are much kinder there.)

Here's what this formula would have produced last week for the first iteration of the CFP rankings. The aforementioned computer ratings, listed as percentiles, each have their own column, as does the poll average, which is calculated by the percentage of points a team got compared to the maximum available. The CFP BCS column is the final total based on the formula of two-thirds for the polls and one-third for the computers. The actual CFP rankings, and the differences between the two, are on the far right.

855490800c268812b944427ce8dc315a33f5cfc7 

The formula and actual rankings aligned quite well -- so well, in fact, that it made the outliers stand out quite a bit. Tennessee and especially LSU were both given boosts by the CFP committee, primarily at the expense of Georgia and, further down, a couple of the Pac-12's better teams (UCLA and Utah). The committee's odd boosting of Clemson over Michigan also stands out a bit considering how much distance there was between the two teams in this faux-BCS formula.
Now that we've digested that, let's see what has changed for Week 11 after Georgia's big win, LSU's upset of Alabama, Clemson's loss to Notre Dame and everything else.

8d1eb448980b08ae182e58ee72ac8448724fbd3e 

This is nice and clean at the top, with the four unbeaten teams taking the top spots, followed by each of the two teams that have lost only to Georgia. In the Group of 5 space, Tulane and UCF both rose in the rankings, setting the table nicely for the teams' Saturday showdown in New Orleans, while Liberty jumped from 30th to 22nd following the Flames' win over Arkansas.

Thoughts?

24 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

To move forward, we need to go backward?

I ain't giving ESPN my money, so here's the article that's hidden behind a paywall:

Thoughts?

I want to hate Alabama in the top 10, but it is hard to completely kick them out of it when we think so highly of Tennessee and LSU.  They are likely a top 10 team for sure, but how high can they realistically climb without us rioting?

As of 11/8/22

RANK
SCHOOL
RECORD
RANK
SCHOOL
RECORD
1 Georgia 9-0
2 Ohio State 9-0
3 Michigan 9-0
4 TCU 9-0
5 Tennessee 8-1
6 Oregon 8-1
7 LSU 7-2
8 Southern California 8-1
9 Alabama 7-2
10 Clemson 8-1
11 Ole Miss 8-1
12 UCLA 8-1
13 Utah 7-2
14 Penn State 7-2
15 North Carolina 8-1
16 NC State 7-2
17 Tulane 8-1
18 Texas 6-3
19 Kansas State 6-3
20 Notre Dame 6-3
21 Illinois 7-2
22 UCF 7-2
23 Florida State 6-3
24 Kentucky 6-3
25 Washington 7-2

Wins vs CFP Top 25 and Losses

1. UGA- #5 Tenn, #6 Oregon (Deserving of #1 spot)
2. Ohio St- #20 Notre Dame, #14 Penn St (Arguably the 2nd best resume of the undefeated)
3. Michigan- #14 Penn St (Arguably a better win than TCU's top 25)
4. TCU- #19 Kansas State (a good spot)
5. Tennessee- Loss to #1 UGA, #7 LSU, #9 Alabama, #24 Kentucky (The only team with 3 top 25 wins)
6. Oregon- Loss #1 UGA, #12 UCLA 
7. LSU- Losses to #23 Florida St and #5 Tennessee, #11 Ole Miss, #9 Alabama
8. USC- Loss #13 Utah, No top 25 wins
9. Alabama- Losses to #5 Tennessee and #7 LSU, #18 Texas
10. Clemson- Loss to #20 Notre Dame, #16 NC State, #23 Florida St

• Thanks 1