College Football Playoff

Lobo97

3. Michigan- #14 Penn St (Arguably a better win than TCU's top 25)
4. TCU- #19 Kansas State (a good spot)

I don't agree beating Penn State is a better win than beating Kansas State ... I would flip Michigan and TCU in the rankings .... I believe KS would beat Penn St handily ....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I don't agree beating Penn State is a better win than beating Kansas State ... I would flip Michigan and TCU in the rankings .... I believe KS would beat Penn St handily ....

I don't disagree, but if you rank Penn State higher than Kansas State, then turn around and rank TCU over Michigan, then you essentially contradict yourself.  So that is why I don't have an issue with the current CFP rankings other than USC being where they are.  I believe you could argue USC at 10, despite a top 25 win based on perceived talent, but they haven't blown out an unranked team since week 3... 

14 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I don't disagree, but if you rank Penn State higher than Kansas State, then turn around and rank TCU over Michigan, then you essentially contradict yourself.  So that is why I don't have an issue with the current CFP rankings other than USC being where they are.  I believe you could argue USC at 10, despite a top 25 win based on perceived talent, but they haven't blown out an unranked team since week 3... 

I don't rank Penn State over Kansas State ...  "perceived" is a weak reason to rank USC over teams that have beaten top 25 teams .... My perception of USC is somewhere around around 20 - 22 , until they beat someone with a pulse ....

8 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I don't rank Penn State over Kansas State ...  "perceived" is a weak reason to rank USC over teams that have beaten top 25 teams .... My perception of USC is somewhere around around 20 - 22 , until they beat someone with a pulse ....

I am not speaking in terms of how either of us think.  I was relating it all back to the CFP committee poll.  They have criteria, whatever it may be, to rank teams.  I question how they justify putting USC where they do, so that is where the "perceived talent" remark came in.  It's just me trying to think on what I would say on why I would put USC in that spot.

11 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I am not speaking in terms of how either of us think.  I was relating it all back to the CFP committee poll.  They have criteria, whatever it may be, to rank teams.  I question how they justify putting USC where they do, so that is where the "perceived talent" remark came in.  It's just me trying to think on what I would say on why I would put USC in that spot.

I agree, whatever logic they are using is obviously flawed ... there is a lot of bias built into their rankings that just doesn't pass the smell test .... As long as we have a committee with their obvious biases, we will get this kind of rankings .... it's nothing more than a biased filter for their invitational tournament and not a real playoff ....

• Like 2

21 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

it's nothing more than a biased filter for their invitational tournament and not a real playoff ....

This is the ABSOLUTE Truth!!!!!

A real playoff would have ALL conference Champions in the mix with some quality contenders give at-large bids. If we went to a 32 team playoff, some of these "super conferences" might break up and allow for more Conference Champions to be given "automatic" bids, instead of a beauty pageant of college teams like we have today. Only the prettiest get in, and 16 judges get to pick the prettiest.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Yes, teams with bigger names take precedence. 

Michigan is ahead of TCU because their name and brand is bigger...MUCH bigger. That's it. It has nothing to do with them having a 'better win' than TCU, because they do not. 

Penn State is ahead of Kansas State because their name and brand is bigger. That's it. 

Penn State's biggest win is who? Minnesota? Purdue? Those are the only teams they've beat with a winning record. And who is Minnesota's biggest win? 4 win Michigan State. Who is Purdue's biggest win? Minnesota. 

Kansas State's biggest wins are OU, and Ok State. Ok State did beat Baylor and Texas. 

The problem moving forward, is Kansas State has a tougher schedule in front of them. The rest of Penn State's schedule is trash, so they'll win out, and look like a better team than they actually are. 

When trying to argue which team is better, it can't simply be based on opinion. It also can't simply be based on who you lost to either. Who you beat should matter just as much.

Now, all of this won't matter when it comes to TCU, because after they lose to Texas this weekend, they'll drop anyway. 😁

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 11:16 AM, KirtFalcon said:

Penn State is overrated EVERY year...and get "smashed in the face" and embarrassed every time they play a southern US team...shows me that Franklin is a joke of a coach (no plan, one dimensional...like Jumbo)

• Like 1

I hate the current system!!! I'd rather it go back to the "whatever computer system" from, was it when the BCS first started? The computer took like a million polls and plugged them into a system, then had some other super small % to base on strength of schedule maybe too...that way it's outta the hands of bias. It's hard enough to overcome the "we can't take Alabama out" mentality since they are ALWAYS ranked high in the pre-season...same with an Ohio State and now a Georgia...when will it be, "oh yeah they're just a solid team, not great", so move them down.

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Michigan is ahead of TCU because their name and brand is bigger...MUCH bigger. That's it. It has nothing to do with them having a 'better win' than TCU, because they do not. 

Penn State is ahead of Kansas State because their name and brand is bigger. That's it. 

Penn State's biggest win is who? Minnesota? Purdue? Those are the only teams they've beat with a winning record. And who is Minnesota's biggest win? 4 win Michigan State. Who is Purdue's biggest win? Minnesota. 

Kansas State's biggest wins are OU, and Ok State. Ok State did beat Baylor and Texas. 

The problem moving forward, is Kansas State has a tougher schedule in front of them. The rest of Penn State's schedule is trash, so they'll win out, and look like a better team than they actually are. 

When trying to argue which team is better, it can't simply be based on opinion. It also can't simply be based on who you lost to either. Who you beat should matter just as much.

Now, all of this won't matter when it comes to TCU, because after they lose to Texas this weekend, they'll drop anyway. 😁

they will drop tcu to 15 if they lose as opposed to bama's drops....

1 hour ago, PelvisPresley said:

I hate the current system!!! I'd rather it go back to the "whatever computer system" from, was it when the BCS first started? The computer took like a million polls and plugged them into a system, then had some other super small % to base on strength of schedule maybe too...that way it's outta the hands of bias. It's hard enough to overcome the "we can't take Alabama out" mentality since they are ALWAYS ranked high in the pre-season...same with an Ohio State and now a Georgia...when will it be, "oh yeah they're just a solid team, not great", so move them down.

Nick Saban literally cheated the BCS at LSU and Alabama.  You need to make the system where it can't be manipulated.  

I have a serious question, is there any way that the SEC could be left out of the playoffs all together. 

Very Hypothetical:

Georgia loses to Mississippi State or Kentucky

Alabama loses to Ole Miss

Ole Miss loses to Miss State

Tennessee loses to South Carolina

LSU loses to A&M

Georgia loses in Championship game to LSU

Georgia 2 Losses

LSU 3 Losses

Alabama 3 Losses

Ole Miss 2 Losses

Tennessee 2 Losses

Or does a 3 loss LSU make a playoff because they won the SEC Championship.....

Let's also say my Hypothetical comes true......

Ohio State wins out.....No Losses

TCU wins out.....No Losses

Clemson or North Carolina wins out....1 Loss by either team

Oregon/USC/UCLA wins out.....1 loss by any team

Would a 2 or 3 loss SEC champion be picked over a "no loss, or 1 loss Conference Champion"......

5 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

I have a serious question, is there any way that the SEC could be left out of the playoffs all together. 

Very Hypothetical:

LSU loses to A&M

Georgia 2 Losses

LSU 3 Losses

Alabama 3 Losses

Ole Miss 2 Losses

Tennessee 2 Losses

I believe LSU with 2 losses gets left out for undefeated TCU, 0 or 1 loss B10, 1 loss Georgia (even if beaten by LSU) or Tennessee, and 0 or 1 loss Oregon or USC

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

Very Hypothetical:

LSU loses to A&M

Georgia 2 Losses

LSU 3 Losses

Alabama 3 Losses

Ole Miss 2 Losses

Tennessee 2 Losses

In that scenario, the sec is getting someone in. There will never be a college football playoff without an sec representative. You can take that to the bank. But asking all of those things to happen is about the equivalent of predicting the winning lottery numbers. 

To me I think this situation gets murky if Tennessee, Georgia and LSU all win out. Then LSU beats Georgia in the title game. 

how do you put a 2 loss lsu in over a 1 loss Tennessee when Tennessee beat them convincingly in BR? How do you leave out the SEC champ even if they have 2 losses? How does Georgia get in over TCU if they have a loss? 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

To me I think this situation gets murky if Tennessee, Georgia and LSU all win out. Then LSU beats Georgia in the title game. 

how do you put a 2 loss lsu in over a 1 loss Tennessee when Tennessee beat them convincingly in BR? How do you leave out the SEC champ even if they have 2 losses? How does Georgia get in over TCU if they have a loss? 

They won’t.  LSU will be left out for Georgia or Tennessee.  I would put money on Georgia.

The path is pretty much clear that right now it will be :

1. Georgia (unless they lose)

2. Undefeated b10 champ

3. undefeated TCU

4. Assuming Oregon and Tennessee and Michigan win out… who does this committee give this spot to?

I have a strong feeling that B10 and SEC champs are locks.  TCU should be a lock unless they drop a game.  Should they lose, they would prefer Oregon to win out.  

If TCU were to lose, to anyone, they are done. So the 4 then would likely be:

1. Georgia

2. Undefeated B10

3. 1 loss Oregon

4. 1 loss Tennessee 

It should be obvious to the brain dead that we need at least a 16 team playoff .... there is way too much bias in the way they come up with the 4 invitational tournament teams .... they are still trying to figure out how to get Alabama in the so called "playoff"...

2 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

It should be obvious to the brain dead that we need at least a 16 team playoff .... there is way too much bias in the way they come up with the 4 invitational tournament teams .... they are still trying to figure out how to get Alabama in the so called "playoff"...

Alabama would always make a 16 playoff.