Week 3: Henderson (0-2) Vs. Marshall (1-1)

Mavchamp

Who you got?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Henderson Vs. Marshall

• Henderson in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Henderson in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

Marshall and Henderson will both be looking to bounce back in week 3 after big losses in week 2.

The Mavericks were totally and completely dominated by Longview in every phase of the game, losing 48-11.

Meanwhile Henderson is coming off of a 49-28 loss to Hallsville (2-0).

---------------

This will be the first meeting between Marshall and Henderson since 2007 when they were district rivals.

Marshall leads the overall series (17-5-1).

HISTORY OF MARSHALL Vs. HENDERSON
1920- Marshall won 49-7
1922- Marshall won 24-0
1923- Marshall won 6-0
1924- Marshall won 67-0
1929- Marshall won 52-0

1936- Henderson won 12-0
1939- Marshall won 25-13
1940- Henderson won 18-0
1945- Marshall won 25-0
1946- Marshall won 26-0
1947- Marshall won 14 -7

1948- Henderson won 18-13
1949- Marshall won 21-14
1950- Marshall won 21-13
1951- Marshall won 37-7

1992- Henderson won 20-18
1993- Henderson won 21-14

1994- Marshall won 21-14
1995- TIE 13-13
2004- Marshall won 45-0
2005- Marshall won 30-9
2006- Marshall won 55-7
2007- Marshall won 14-11

Going with Marshall in a blowout but I’m hoping that’s not wishful thinking. Marshall’s defense is the worst I’ve seen in some time. Couldn’t stop the run or the pass. Pretty much nonexistent secondary and no gang tackling. When Longview ran the ball the secondary would come up then stand there and watch the linemen and linebackers try and bring them down. Lots and lots of things need to be addressed before we get into district play! Good luck MAVS!

5 hours ago, Gramps said:

Going with Marshall in a blowout but I’m hoping that’s not wishful thinking. Marshall’s defense is the worst I’ve seen in some time. Couldn’t stop the run or the pass. Pretty much nonexistent secondary and no gang tackling. When Longview ran the ball the secondary would come up then stand there and watch the linemen and linebackers try and bring them down. Lots and lots of things need to be addressed before we get into district play! Good luck MAVS!

I'm hoping our poor showing was simply the fact that we just faced the #1 team in Texas.

What they did to us wasn't that special.  They do it to everyone. They did the same thing against a pretty good 6A team last week.... and I have a feeling they are about to skull-drag Legacy.

Longview....IMHO...is the best team Marshall will face all season....no matter how long our season is.

My biggest concern was the offensive line.  They got BLOWN UP all night.  But again.... they probably won't face a better defense than Longview.  But they exposed our O-line as a weakness.

And poor decisions with the passing game plagued us last year....and that has continued.  Some of those Lobo defenders looked like the intended receivers.  

Luckily.... Henderson is not Longview.  This should be a good turn around game for us to refocus.

BUT..... we got another killer game coming up.... another #1 team to prepare for after this game.

We got a lot of things to work on.... offense...defense....

I don't think we're as good as we looked against Tyler..... but I don't think we're as bad as we played against Longview.

I’m not overlooking or discounting Henderson in any way……but if we struggle in this game, we’re in big trouble going forward.  

Not only with Carthage coming up… but with Texas High, Hallsville, and that Smith county team as well. 

We need to make a statement this week with the Bulldogs coming to town next. 

• Like 1

As dominating as the loss to Longview was… there were a few positives that we saw… and exposed some weaknesses we need to work on. 

Pros of the game:

I was pretty happy with coverage of Jalen Hale. The guy is a beast.  We didn’t let him go crazy. Unfortunately… the Lobos have multiple other weapons to go to. 

I was pretty happy with our run offense.  JQ Davis and Bird had some nice runs against a very stingy defense. 

We had our kicker back and he had an outstanding FG…. So that was good to see. We need that threat on the field. 

——————

Things that need work: 

Offensive line was getting crushed in pass blocking.  

Wide receivers dropped some perfect passes that should have been completed

Quarterback inconsistent.  He should have had more completions than he did.  I blame the WRs.  But he made some unwise throws too and they cost us. 

Two games….. two fumbled kickoffs that lead to opponents scoring.  Can. Not. Happen.  Those are cheap easy points that we can’t afford to give away.  

————————

Clearly we got work to do.  Things to correct. But there is NO DOUBT we’re ahead of where we were this time last year.  Especially on offense. 

We need to clean things up this week Vs Henderson.  Because we got another juggernaut coming up next week  

• Like 1

Where's all those Hendo fans that were blaming Coach Castles for the bad year (one down year out of many good ones) and who were so happy to have this new guy and all the D-1 talent that came with him...4-6 and no playoffs with all that new talent last year and off to what could be an 0-10 year this year??? Where ya at now Hendo fans??? 

Marshall by however many points they want. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blesseddaily said:

Where's all those Hendo fans that were blaming Coach Castles for the bad year (one down year out of many good ones) and who were so happy to have this new guy and all the D-1 talent that came with him...4-6 and no playoffs with all that new talent last year and off to what could be an 0-10 year this year??? Where ya at now Hendo fans??? 

Marshall by however many points they want. 

Those people have disappeared…..

• LOL! 1

Hopefully Henderson will bring it this week. It's good to have a very winnable game in between 2 #1 ranked teams, but I'd like to have seen someone a tad bit stronger.

We do still need to improve before Carthage/Thigh, so I'm thinking a Lindale or Pleasant Grove would have been a better option. More winnable but still able to expose more areas of concern than Henderson.  

Henderson does have a ton of speed and a quality dual threat Qb. Maybe they can put it all together and push us a few quarters. Will give us and Hallsville a common opponent at very least.