Is Offensive Holding called anymore?

spudaroo

Been to two 5A games this year and have not seen one offensive holding call. But I have seen OLINEMEN with hands full of jerseys, hands outside the shoulder pads, and Defensive lineman taken to the ground like a tackle and not one holding call. Been involved in this game for over 35 years and the defense has no chance if holding is not going to be called. SO what is the rule these days?

Guest Tiger03lb

They haven't been calling it unless it's really obvious in the games I've seen in person.

On a side note: We've had two straight games of inadvertently whistles while on offense. Thought that was interesting. 

I’m used to seeing it on the O-line. It’s not even expected to be called anymore inside the tackle box. But last night I saw several plays where receivers blocking for RBs got away with double handfuls of jersey while the defender was trying to get in position to make a tackle. If they’re not gonna call that, they aren’t calling anything. 

5 hours ago, spudaroo said:

Been to two 5A games this year and have not seen one offensive holding call. But I have seen OLINEMEN with hands full of jerseys, hands outside the shoulder pads, and Defensive lineman taken to the ground like a tackle and not one holding call. Been involved in this game for over 35 years and the defense has no chance if holding is not going to be called. SO what is the rule these days?

There is always the option of becoming a ref?  Unless not physically able to do so.  They're always needed, it might be fun for you, and you can be a part of bringing it back.

17 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

There is always the option of becoming a ref?  Unless not physically able to do so.  They're always needed, it might be fun for you, and you can be a part of bringing it back.

I fall in the category of being more helpful by offering advice from the stands. They actually heard me one time last night. 

• LOL! 3

That outside block for the receiver is a hard block in Keelings schemes or for that matter anyone's schemes that has a outside running game since it is one of the most important blocks for the play to work and the side judge is right there watching.  

On 9/3/2022 at 4:42 PM, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Never been called on Evadale at home.....😂🤣😂🤣

@Hagar

Good reason why - Evadale players don’t hold.  😂😂😂👽👽😂😂😂

Does remind me of a good story.  Friend I worked with was just starting out as a Ref, doing a Jr Hi game.  One team had a big fullback that kept running up the middle.  My friend saw a hand come up, grab the FB’s face mask.  Throw’s his flag - 15 yards.  In an effort to help he tells the D not to grab the guard.  As you’d expect, they all denied it.  A few plays later, same thing, but this time he was zeroed in on the Fullback.  When he was stopped with 3 or 4 guys on him, he’d take his free hand, reach up & grab his own face mask & jerk his head down.  Don’t remember what he did, if there was actually anything to call, but it got a good laugh.  Have to give the kid an A for ingenuity.

My pet peeve is moving before the snap not being called .... In the two Garrison games I've been to both Hugh Springs and Arp RBs on several plays were moving forward almost a full step before the snap ... one Arp back or end was in motion and turned up field a full step before the snap ..... Back judges have all but quit calling it except for the most blatant offenses .... It drives me crazy when they are looking right at it and don’t call it ....

17 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

My pet peeve is moving before the snap not being called .... In the two Garrison games I've been to both Hugh Springs and Arp RBs on several plays were moving forward almost a full step before the snap ... one Arp back or end was in motion and turned up field a full step before the snap ..... Back judges have all but quit calling it except for the most blatant offenses .... It drives me crazy when they are looking right at it and don’t call it ....

The slot t and wing t teams always get away with the FB moving forward when the ball has not been snapped.

17 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

The back judge is supposed to be able to tell if a dude in motion turned upfield before the ball is snapped?

49 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

The back judge is supposed to be able to tell if a dude in motion turned upfield before the ball is snapped?

Well, the Umpire ... I always call them the back judge because they are behind the line of scrimmage behind the offensive backfield .... whatever you want to call them, most of them are letting RBs and in motion players get away with illegally moving before the snap of the ball .... rarely calling it ... it's so common now it's ridiculous .... it's like basketball refs not calling traveling ....

11 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Well, the Umpire ... I always call them the back judge because they are behind the line of scrimmage behind the offensive backfield .... whatever you want to call them, most of them are letting RBs and in motion players get away with illegally moving before the snap of the ball .... rarely calling it ... it's so common now it's ridiculous .... it's like basketball refs not calling traveling ....

The umpire lines up behind the DEFENSIVE front........:rofl:

• LOL! 1