Carthage Dawgs versus Corner Stone

cowboyandchrist

Carthage vs. Cornerstone   

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

One player does not make a team, you have to play with who you have, etc.........But Cornerstone not having their starting QB is a huge difference...........Watching him throw in pregame made it obvious he can sling it......And number 7 is a heckuva high school reciever/runner

Cornerstone's DB's might be the best Carthage sees all year - they covered well(with a couple of exceptions) for a long time, but finally got wore down from their offense going 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out.

I think Carthage made another small leap tonight toward their goal, and played better than the first 2 weeks.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

One player does not make a team, you have to play with who you have, etc.........But Cornerstone not having their starting QB is a huge difference...........Watching him throw in pregame made it obvious he can sling it......And number 7 is a heckuva high school reciever/runner

Cornerstone's DB's might be the best Carthage sees all year - they covered well(with a couple of exceptions) for a long time, but finally got wore down from their offense going 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out.

I think Carthage made another small leap tonight toward their goal, and played better than the first 2 weeks.

I enjoyed this game.  It felt closer than the scoreboard and the opponent was no pushover.  I too wish that their starting QB could've played.  The Dawgs had to earn every point scored.

8 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Compared to first 2 games, offense as a whole took a step backwards IMO.  The game was never in doubt, and the offensive numbers look great on paper, but execution was not there consistently for OL, QB & WR’s.  RB was only position I thought that maintained or improved from previous games.

I can agree with you, but I think the Corner Stone front seven had a lot to do with it. I thought they were very good. 
Cuff was off on some throws but CS D line was applying the pressure. 
Bottom line, the Dawgs made the plays on both sides of the ball when it counted. 
I see a big improvement over last year. 
last year the Dawgs had a great defense and an offense that was young. 
This year I see a great offense and a great defense. 

7 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I can agree with you, but I think the Corner Stone front seven had a lot to do with it. I thought they were very good. 
Cuff was off on some throws but CS D line was applying the pressure. 
Bottom line, the Dawgs made the plays on both sides of the ball when it counted. 
I see a big improvement over last year. 
last year the Dawgs had a great defense and an offense that was young. 
This year I see a great offense and a great defense. 

C&C - neither side is great yet.  Good but not great.  Regarding SAC defense, Surratt himself even said they were dropping 8 into pass coverage in 1st half.  So that means they got pressure in the first half with 3.  Lots to work on next week going into the Marshall game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

C&C - neither side is great yet.  Good but not great.  Regarding SAC defense, Surratt himself even said they were dropping 8 into pass coverage in 1st half.  So that means they got pressure in the first half with 3.  Lots to work on next week going into the Marshall game.

I totally agree with you, what I should have said. The Dawgs have a great Offense and Defense in the making. 
They can make giant strides this week against a very good Marshall. 
Panthernation, I can always count on you to keep me from getting to carried away. What can I say, I am very excited about this Dawg team. 

On 9/9/2022 at 9:06 PM, JBizzle said:

Thanks for the astute analysis, Captain Obvious.

I mean it could be on the defense to “captain obvious” it’s obvious you have been butt hurt since I’ve been on here staying my opinion. Maybe you should be more open minded instead of having a blindfold over your eyes

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cleareyesopenheartcantlose said:

You know. I’m from Carthage. Born and Raised! Have been a bulldog fan now for 28 years. But one thing I could never stand is our fan base being so defensive when people point out flaws or things that need to be better.

Point out the flaws.  I am glad to debate points with you, but you really made no analysis.  You just said QB1 isn't as good as we think he is and that he stands flat-footed.  He underperformed on Friday.  He performed well the two weeks before.  When the adjustments were made to how the defense was playing, he had a pretty good run.  It's high school football being played by a bunch of teenagers.  They are going to have off nights.  They aren't going to get it right all the time.  His decision making was good.  He didn't turn the ball over and put our defense in bad positions.  He missed some throws to start the night.  

All that being said, they stil had 500 yards of offense and the backups were in for the 3rd quarter.  The offense will be tested this week.  After that there is plenty of time to improve.

I think the Dawgs have a really good team and will make a deep run, if not win it all.  QB play will be a big part of that, and I think he has the ability to get it done.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Point out the flaws.  I am glad to debate points with you, but you really made no analysis.  You just said QB1 isn't as good as we think he is and that he stands flat-footed.  He underperformed on Friday.  He performed well the two weeks before.  When the adjustments were made to how the defense was playing, he had a pretty good run.  It's high school football being played by a bunch of teenagers.  They are going to have off nights.  They aren't going to get it right all the time.  His decision making was good.  He didn't turn the ball over and put our defense in bad positions.  He missed some throws to start the night.  

All that being said, they stil had 500 yards of offense and the backups were in for the 3rd quarter.  The offense will be tested this week.  After that there is plenty of time to improve.

I think the Dawgs have a really good team and will make a deep run, if not win it all.  QB play will be a big part of that, and I think he has the ability to get it done.

Couldn’t have said it better. 

4 hours ago, JBizzle said:

This is a great post.

I just attended Chalk Talk, and even though it wasn’t Cuff’s best performance there were a handful of throws he made that most high school quarterbacks simply cannot.

The bomb over the top to Hatten was a thing of beauty. Cuff’s front foot was on his own 41 yard line and Hatten caught the ball at the five.

I mentioned it being a pretty long pass, and Surratt said that throw was effortless. There was a camera angle looking directly through the goalpost just above the crossbar (really cool view of the play!) and it perfectly summed up “effortless” for Cuff.

He literally placed it down there with zero mustard, but it was a bomb, nonetheless.

That wasn’t the pass I was most impressed with though. 
Cuff got a little pressure, rolled right and threw the ball between the numbers and the sideline on the run over a DB and in front of the deeper one to Hatten that was phenomenal. Don’t know the distance, but that ball was something not a lot of boys can do.

Surratt said Cuff hasn’t reached his ceiling by any stretch, but the maturation from last year to this year is like he’s improved by leaps and bounds.

Marshall will be a good test and I bet those Bulldogs will be excited to play!

• Like 2