5A-D2: #1 Argyle Eagles(2-0) @ #6 Grapevine Mustangs(2-0)

regaleagle

Argyle @ Grapevine   

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

Welp.....they put the target on Argyle's back this week for sure!  Not much more you could expect......top-ranked teams 1-4 lost last week and Argyle did have a big win again against #2 Lovejoy 56-49 in a playoff-type game and atmosphere.  So now they play in Grapevine this week against another ranked team.  Grapevine whacked Azle last week 58-14 and Frisco Wakeland the week before 49-28.....looks like they can put up some points, Huh?  This MIGHT be a pretty close and competitive game for Argyle again this week.

Meanwhile #1 South Oak Cliff dropped down to #8 this week after losing again last week to another quality opponent.....#8 Lancaster Tigers(2-0) out of 5A-D1. In this season's 5A-D2 classification.......#10 Texas High won a big one last week against then #7 Colleyville Heritage by a convincing score of 48-23.  Now this week Texas High is at #7 and Colleyville Heritage dropped down to #9.  It's really very early in the season and all kinds of matchups are happening in 5A-D2 that are causing the rankings to really deviate from one week to the next.

Wichita Falls Rider jumped up from #6 last week to #2 this week with their unimpressive win over Decatur 30-24.  Decatur in 4A-D1 wasn't even ranked, but DCTF had to give them the benefit of the doubt and move them up to #2.  But they already know these rankings will stabilize and work themselves out by playoff time.....so that's the deal.

When you look at the team stats for both teams so far......Argyle and Grapevine are eerily similar.  Argyle has rushed for 855 yds in 2 games and Grapevine has rushed for 827.  In the passing game, Grapevine has passed for a total of 322 yds. in only 19 attempts, but have completed 14 of those for a .737 completion percentage.  Very nice indeed!!  Argyle has passed for 378 yds on 57 attempts, but have only completed 24 of those for a .421 completion percentage......not all that impressive, Huh?  Yeah.....some passes were dropped for sure, and some were quality break-ups, but some were flat out misses too!  Grapevine has scored 107 pts in 2 games while giving up 41 while Argyle has scored 93 while allowing 67 in their first 2 games this season.  So those are the stats for both teams going into this week's matchup.

Grapevine is running some kind of "quasi triple-option" scheme on offense this season that they also have great success passing off of too.  Their Qb this season is #9 Evan Baum(6-2/180/Sr).  He's rushed for 138 yds on 15 carries in 2 games....tied with another back for 3rd on the team.  They have 3 main RB's and then Baum at Qb.  Argyle's QB Jacob Robinson(6-2/185/Sr) has rushed for 148 yds on 21 carries in 2 games.....3rd on the team behind Bunnell(347) and Farris(317).  

I watched some clips of Baum throwing it......he has a good arm, throws a nice easily catchable ball, and is accurate.  He just doesn't miss too many receivers when he throws it......and they pretty much catch them.  Now maybe most of those throws were to wide-open receivers or without alot  of pressure on him......we will see what happens come Friday night against Argyle's D.

I know the Argyle Broadcast Network does a Play-by-Play call of the game on Sportsgram Channel 9 each week, but have not heard yet whether there will be a Grapevine video Livestream of this game or not.   Usually on Thurs. the Argyle Booster Club site will show IF there will be a video Livestream of the game for free.  Otherwise......the youtubers will be out there to capture your day subscription for the game and then whatever else.  I don't trust those daygame sites on Youtube at all.

And this week I have changed my thinking about Argyle's offense.......they made the Giant Leap from Week 1 to Week 2 that many like me did not expect. Of course I voted for them in the poll this week, and I just hope they show up and play even better on offense this week.  I'll be looking for the Eagles Coaching staff to maintain that stout running game and try to expand its passing game with more routes and completions this week.  A better balance between the pass and the run would be both funtastic and fantastic to see......IF you are not a Mustangs fan.

Grapevine has a fairly large enrollment for a 5A-D2 school(over 1800) so they do have plenty of athletic types with size and talent to draw from.  The Mustangs should be able to match up with Argyle in size on the lines and with skill players.  They returned 8 on offense and 5 on defense from last season's 9-4 team.  They went 7-0 in district, so they are accustomed to winning.  They went 3 rounds deep in the playoffs last season.

Not sure how this game will go regarding Grapevine scoring, but fully expect Argyle to score quite a few TD's.  In 2 games so far, Grapevine hasn't had a problem putting up lots of points......but all of that is arbitrary based on the competition played.  This game should be a good matchup for both teams......they are very similar offensively.  I expect Argyle's defense to be a big difference-maker in this game to limit the possessions and scoring of the Mustangs, thereby allowing the Eagles offense more chances and time of possession.

The Tr3dio is the Grapevine video Livestream site for free for this game.  The Sportsgram Channel 9 is the Argyle play-by-play Listen Live broadcast because it's not a home game.......Grapevine has the Livestream.  NFHS is another video Livestream option of some games in some weeks like this one......if you are a subscriber.  But like last week on NFHS.......there was no announcer for the Lovejoy-Argyle game.   Thank goodness Lovejoy had their video Livestream going.

5 hours ago, Footballalltheway said:

Argyle has taken care of business but the wins against Melissa and LJ don’t look impressive any longer.  Those two  teams have combined record of 1-4.  Melissa could easily lose tonight at Royse City and have not looked impressive at all.  LJ lost last night and struggled mightily offensively.  I would imagine Argyle will win but I would not be surprised if GV won because on paper they are the best team Argyle will have played.

The game is possibly being streamed on YouTube.  Search “Tr3dio”.  Also it may be on at https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/ as far as I can tell.  Its a pay site but is legit and not one of those shady youtube streams.  

I wish schools had better communication as to when, where and if a game is being streamed.  It seems its always a cryptic search to try and find info. 

Everything you stated is true......Melissa and LJ have now both lost 2 games.  Argyle cannot control what happens to other teams they played "after the fact"......whether it be coaching mistakes, poor play, injuries, or whatever else.  I fully expect both Melissa and Lovejoy to rebound off these losses and put together solid seasons and playoff runs. I know a good team with quality personnel when I see it......both of these teams have that.  I guess if Argyle wins tonight against Grapevine, and then the Mustangs go out and lose the next week again.......then that will be yet another team that was "overrated" that Argyle has played, Huh?  

The ONLY thing Argyle can control is who they play on their schedule at the time.  The loss last night LJ experienced was to a 6A North Crowley bunch.....and LJ is 5A-D2.  This happens every week in predistrict play to lots of ranked teams.......it happened to Denton Ryan.  I guess LJ got caught with their "jocks down" against a pretty salty 6A opponent playing in its home stadium......after a big home loss to Argyle the week before.  Melissa is Melissa.......that loss to China Spring should be a wake-up call to them, but really CS was simply more disciplined and exhibited a greater will to win than Melissa that night.  That's why we love Texas High School football......things happen that you don't expect.  But tonight in Mustang-Panther Stadium.......I'm expecting to see an even better/improved Argyle Eagles team.

Coach Rodgers even stated that despite how pleased he was at the will and tenacity of this season's Argyle Eagles to win these first two games.....he was amazed at all the areas where improvements can be made.  He is saying that he believes this season's Argyle Eagles are winning tough games against quality opponents even when they are not yet even close to becoming the team they can be.  He also stated he's very excited to move forward to see what this team will be able to accomplish this season.

The team motto for this season's Argyle Eagles is "NEXT".  That means to move forward to the next play and forget about anything that has already happened. It's a mindset the whole team has adopted to play quality football every play this year.   So tonight in Grapevine we will see what that mindset looks like when Argyle makes both good plays and bad plays.

Grapevine has a very quality team with quality players.  Their defense against the run was pretty darn good......the linebackers and D-line were formidable. Their D-backs basically dared Argyle to throw it by playing up for the run, but Argyle mainly stuck to their running game anyway. The offense for Grapevine is also "different" and difficult to defend against.  It took Argyle a whole half of football to figure out how to make the adjustments.  Grapevine will win their games and be a contender in the playoffs.

Argyle 31

Grapevine 15

Final