Offensive gurus

Destry

Run and Shoot uses deep routes, option routes, and the switch series almost exclusively out of 4 WR sets. West Coast uses short fast routes to open up the run. Then it uses play action to take advantage of the secondary playing the run. Then it comes back to the run after they have opened a defense up (see the 49ers under walsh, and the Cowboys of the 90s). The spread is not an offense, it is a set of formations that you can run an offensive scheme out off. Im going to guess you mean the air raid (Texas Tech under Leach) which focuses a lot on horizontal passes and screens to spread defense out for the run up the middle. And then a combination of mesh, Y cross, and 4 vert options.

• Like 2

I’m not a guru but “the spread” is the original from the 50’s or the first variation from 3 yards and a cloud of dust.  
The run and shoot (multiple  routes for each receiver)and west coast (short passes and slants but the QB is under center) are variations along with every other multiple receiver sets. 
It’s not a “fad” it’s been around forever. 

I use the term fad because to me it is something so many decide to run regardless of talent level . Depending on your age , May or May not remember the late 60’s and 70’s. The veer and the wishbone were the same types of fads. Until something else came along then everyone jumped on that bandwagon for a few years 😎. It is what it is.

2 hours ago, trashyhound said:

Run and shoot,  spread, or west coast,  

You better have a QB that's a player of you want to be any good. 

Yep, but in the wing t, slot t, dead t, and power I, need an average athlete at qb, pass 8-10 times a game if needed and no more than 20-30 yards, just fairly accurate . 

• Like 1