Teams having to move to Wednesday/Thursday because of shortage of officials!

blesseddaily

Last Friday at Hughes Springs there were some "bad calls" and some delays trying to figure things out, but all in all they did a good job. All I remember from back in the day was our coaches tell us not to blame the officials for making bad calls or costing us a game...."Play better"....If the coaches ever heard you whining about the calls your butt was on the bench.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blesseddaily said:

Saw where one team had to change their sub-varsity games to Wednesday and Varsity games to Thursday!! Is this going to become more prevalent as the season goes??

It should not get worse throughout the season. Varsity officials are chosen by the coaches back in the spring. Coaches mostly at smaller schools have known for months that they would most likely not a have a crew for a particular Friday night. They just wait until the last minute to move the games. We actually have a good number of officials right now, but we would love to have more for next season. The problem is getting officials that want to start and lead new crews. Hopefully we will have some guys step up. I believe this current week was one of the hardest to cover in the Tyler/East Texas area for the season.

Wait…… you mean the parents who cry for a flag every time their precious little baby doesn’t make the catch are wrong??!? And every time A hold is missed? And scream about how blind the refs are? They’re wrong?!?! - we’d be so much better if all the arm chair officials either grew a pair and stepped up to ref or shut the hail up and sat down. Refs have a tough tough job and they can’t see everything. Idiots are amongst us at all times.  SMH 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • LOL! 1

You guys really think that the problem is people not wanting to ref because of how the fans treat them?

We have shortages in refs, no doubt, but don't you think it's just more that this generation of people are too "busy" and don't want to give up their Thursday and Friday (sometimes Saturday) nights to make some pocket change?

We have trouble getting refs everywhere.  Youth sports associations everywhere can't get refs/umpires.  We have trouble getting coaches and volunteers to assist with other things too.  I think people are just too busy and don't really care to give up their time to ref.

And to expect referees to get calls right isn't really an unreasonable stance to take.  Yeah, there will be missed calls, but let's not act like everytime the fans yell about a call they are wrong.

Being a truck driver you have to log the time as on-duty time (maybe if you take no money would be a way around it. it counts against your 34 hr uninterrupted reset either way i was told) but that's vague too. I'm off thursday and friday and was going to do this 4 years ago company told me not to so there's that.

Guest Tiger03lb
On 9/7/2022 at 3:15 PM, gamewatcher63 said:

Last Friday at Hughes Springs there were some "bad calls" and some delays trying to figure things out, but all in all they did a good job. All I remember from back in the day was our coaches tell us not to blame the officials for making bad calls or costing us a game...."Play better"....If the coaches ever heard you whining about the calls your butt was on the bench.

Good thing y'all are playing in Minny.  Gotta 👀 on those refs in WR 😆

37 minutes ago, HSBRangers said:

With spread offenses it is the only way to go. Hard for 5 guys to see it all. Actually have less flags with 7-man crews than with 5.

I understand that. But is there really a shortage if going with 7 man crews is the thing?

On 9/9/2022 at 7:54 AM, JBizzle said:

You guys really think that the problem is people not wanting to ref because of how the fans treat them?

We have shortages in refs, no doubt, but don't you think it's just more that this generation of people are too "busy" and don't want to give up their Thursday and Friday (sometimes Saturday) nights to make some pocket change?

We have trouble getting refs everywhere.  Youth sports associations everywhere can't get refs/umpires.  We have trouble getting coaches and volunteers to assist with other things too.  I think people are just too busy and don't really care to give up their time to ref.

And to expect referees to get calls right isn't really an unreasonable stance to take.  Yeah, there will be missed calls, but let's not act like everytime the fans yell about a call they are wrong.

I don’t think anyone is acting that way, it’s just that at most of the games game fans whine about refereeing and it predominantly coincides with……… a loss. That’s always the common theme with these crybabies. It’s more about the mentality than the refs, the loser mentality to blame someone instead of just admitting you got beat.  

1 hour ago, LetsGoEagles said:

I don’t think anyone is acting that way, it’s just that at most of the games game fans whine about refereeing and it predominantly coincides with……… a loss. That’s always the common theme with these crybabies. It’s more about the mentality than the refs, the loser mentality to blame someone instead of just admitting you got beat.  

So a bad call never effects the outcome

of the game? People don’t have a right to point out when a referee misses a call?