Teams having to move to Wednesday/Thursday because of shortage of officials!

blesseddaily

Absolutely they do. And you can bet the house they miss it both ways. I think we’re actually talking about 2 different things. I’m talking about the cry babies who think the refs are calling against their team so that’s the reason they lost. I think your just saying refs miss calls. Yes they do. No doubt but it goes both ways. 

The shortage of officials is starting to show with the quality of officiating on the field.  I am not going to bash these guys, because I know they are providing a service that comes with plenty of mental and verbal abuse.  However, you can see the experience or lack thereof showing in the penalties called.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

The shortage of officials is starting to show with the quality of officiating on the field.  I am not going to bash these guys, because I know they are providing a service that comes with plenty of mental and verbal abuse.  However, you can see the experience or lack thereof showing in the penalties called.

I tend to agree, but have you watched NCAA and NFL games?  They are struggling too!  I think part of it is the continued addition of rules and points of emphasis.  Instead of letting the guys learn the job and call the game, you have to change what's legal year in and year out, and then also emphasize certain penalties that are worse than others.  

If we are not able to recruit more committed long term officials the state of officiating in 10 years is going to be very interesting. Most of the older officials have been committed to officiating for a long time. They study, learn the rules, and have lots of experience on the field. The newer guys that come in don't typically stay around long enough to be considered veterans. Hopefully we will be able to to stem the tide, but it could get worse before it gets better.

On 9/9/2022 at 7:54 AM, JBizzle said:

You guys really think that the problem is people not wanting to ref because of how the fans treat them?

We have shortages in refs, no doubt, but don't you think it's just more that this generation of people are too "busy" and don't want to give up their Thursday and Friday (sometimes Saturday) nights to make some pocket change?

We have trouble getting refs everywhere.  Youth sports associations everywhere can't get refs/umpires.  We have trouble getting coaches and volunteers to assist with other things too.  I think people are just too busy and don't really care to give up their time to ref.

And to expect referees to get calls right isn't really an unreasonable stance to take.  Yeah, there will be missed calls, but let's not act like everytime the fans yell about a call they are wrong.

Best post so far. The ref do not get paid enough on all level to even waste that night doing that tbh. I salute the guys that do.

As a Ref myself I was telling some guys the other day this is what needs to happen or going to happen.

6man/1A whatever you wanna call it will have to be played either Thursday so the real football 11man can be played on Friday/Saturdays without the worry of only have 4 or less officials at an 11man game. If that doesnt happen 6 man will stop existing (which i think it is going to go that way then the other)

6A and 5A will need to be Saturday only 

2A-4A will play on Friday some can have thursday if need be

All JV and below will need to be monday-wednesday.

4 minutes ago, Allheartnoquit said:

As a Ref myself I was telling some guys the other day this is what needs to happen or going to happen.

6man/1A whatever you wanna call it will have to be played either Thursday so the real football 11man can be played on Friday/Saturdays without the worry of only have 4 or less officials at an 11man game. If that doesnt happen 6 man will stop existing (which i think it is going to go that way then the other)

6A and 5A will need to be Saturday only 

2A-4A will play on Friday some can have thursday if need be

All JV and below will need to be monday-wednesday.

Six man IS real football 

16 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Six man IS real football 

No it is not I have ref 6man for almost a decade now. 

It is basketball on grass a lot of these little schools they have short drives to schools that play 11 man besides out in west Texas for instance Coolidge....go to Mexia or Hubbard very easy no reason to have 6 man. I understand not the case for all of them but I have a feeling refs will stop going to 6man games unless 6man changes something up.

Edited by Allheartnoquit