Week Four: Longview at Lufkin

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (3-0) at Lufkin Panthers (3-0)  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/17/2022 at 12:30 AM

longview.pnglufkin.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (3-0) AT LUFKIN PANTHERS (3-0)

DATE: Friday, September 16th, 2022
TIME: 7:30 PM
LOCATION: John Outlaw Memorial Field at Abe Martin Stadium in Lufkin, Texas
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
LUFKIN BROADCAST: LP Livestream
LONGVIEW LIVE STREAM: Longview Gameday
LUFKIN LIVE STREAM: n/a

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 42-37-4 longview.png

The Lobos have a 11-8-2 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The two schools are tied at 25-25-2 when the game is a district contest.
The Lobos have a 7-4 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The Lobos have a 3-2 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 20-15-3 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Panthers have a 20-19-1 lead when the game is played at Lufkin.
Longview has won the last five meetings with the Panthers.
Lufkin is 14-11-0 all-time against Longview at Abe Martin Stadium, with the Lobos winning the last meeting there.
The two schools have never played on September 16th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
12.11.2020 - Longview 41, Lufkin 5 - Lobo Stadium
08.30.2019 - Longview 24, Lufkin 21 - Abe Martin Stadium
08.31.2018 - Longview 35, Lufkin 28 - Lobo Stadium
12.09.2017 - Longview 33, Lufkin 32 - Homer Bryce Stadium
09.01.2017 - Longview 35, Lufkin 16 - Lobo Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW:
A rivalry that needs no introduction. The true rivalry week according to many Longview and Lufkin supporters kickoffs off district play this season as the 85th edition of the Lobos and Panthers set to resume the district side of the rivalry for the first time since 2003 as the two kickoff at Lufkin's Abe Martin Stadium. Longview, ranked No. 1 in the state according to Dave Campbell's Texas Football, heads to Abe Martin fresh off their second largest victory under head coach John King as the Lobos rolled over Tyler Legacy, 69-0, last Friday night. The win improved the Lobos to 3-0 on the season, and helped John King record the 200th victory of his career. King's 200th victory moved him into the top 100 all-time in victories by a head coach. Nine different Lobos tallied touchdown for Longview on Friday night, the most in a single game in school history. In the win, Longview also recorded their 18th consecutive victory over the Red Raiders, the second longest winning streak over a single team in school history. Lufkin, who improved to 3-0 to start a season for the first time since 2010, pulled one of the state's biggest upsets last Friday as the Panthers defeated No. 3 ranked A&M Consolidated, 31-14. The Panthers are riding high into 2022 one a young group that looks determined to get the Pack to the top of the state's elite. Fresh off a season that saw the Pack miss the post season for the first time in over years, Lufkin looks destined to get back into the post season run, as they enter into district play against a host of new teams. 7-5A Division I slides Lufkin, Longview and Tyler into a district with McKinney North, Lancaster, Forney, West Mesquite and North Mesquite as the seven teams get underway with competition this Friday night. Longview and Lufkin meet at Abe with the first district game between the two since 2003. Lufkin rides an 8-game district winning streak over the Lobos. Longview's last district win over the Pack came back in 1998. However, things are quite different between the two overall since the Lobos and Panthers last meet in district. Longview comes into Abe Martin Stadium holding a 5-game winning streak over the Panthers, and has won 11 of the last 13 meetings between the two schools. The last meeting between the two schools came in 2020 when the Lobos knocked off Lufkin, 41-5, in bi-district play. It was the largest Longview win over the Panthers since 1976. The Lobos enter Abe Martin Stadium looking to continue a run of success at the stadium that they have not had in over two decades. Longview has won two in a row at Abe, after having lost 10 of their previous 11 visits there. Longview last won three in a row at the stadium from 1989 to 1993. Longview also heads south for their district opener holding an 16-2 record under John King in district openers. Longview's only two losses came in 2012 and 2017, away lossses to state ranked Mesquite and as well as Mesquite Horn.

WEEK THREE RESULTS FOR 7-5A DIVISION I:
Forney 59 Mesquite Poteet 9
North Mesquite 14 North Forney 31
Lancaster 27 Denton Guyer 50
Longview 69 Tyler Legacy 9
Lufkin 31 A&M Consolidated 14
McKinney North 59 Frisco Memorial 28
Tyler 6 Mesquite Horn 43
West Mesquite at Fort Worth Chisholm Trail

WEEK FOUR 7-5A DIVISION I SCHEDULE:
Forney at West Mesquite
Longview at Lufkin
Lancaster at McKinney North
North Mesquite at Tyler

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS:
1st. Longview (3-0, 0-0)
2nd. Lufkin (3-0, 0-0)
3rd. McKinney North (3-0, 0-0)
4th. West Mesquite (3-0, 0-0)
5th. Forney (2-1, 0-0)
6th. Lancaster (2-1, 0-0)
7th. North Mesquite (1-2, 0-0)
8th. Tyler (0-3, 0-0)

DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION I OVERVIEW:
Last week - Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill defeated Baytown Sterling, 59-7. Crosby defeated Baytown Lee, 41-21. Humble Kingwood Park defeated New Caney Porter, 28-21. La Porte defeated Baytown Goose Creek Memorial, 69-17. Port Arthur Memorial was off.
This week - Baytown Sterling travels to Humble Kingwood Park. Crosby travels to Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill. La Porte travels to Baytown Lee. New Caney Porter takes on Port Arthur Memorial. Baytown Goose Creek Memorial is off.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 3-0 (0-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (200-44 in 19 seasons) (Playoffs: 45-17)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 759-355-52 (Playoffs: 74-44-1)
Playoff Appearances: 47
Last Playoff Appearance: 2021, Class 5A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - at McKinney Boyd - Win 36-10
09.02 - vs Marshall - Win 48-11
09.09 - at Tyler Legacy - Win 69-0
09.16 - at Lufkin
09.23 - vs Lancaster
10.07 - vs Forney
10.14 - at North Mesquite
10.21 - vs McKinney North
10.28 - at Tyler
11.04 - vs West Mesquite

LUFKIN PANTHERS
Record: 3-0 (0-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: Todd Quick (77-41 in 8 seasons) (Playoffs: 6-9)
First Year of Football: 1911
All-Time Record: 715-348-37 (Playoffs: 47-40-0)
Playoff Appearances: 41
Last Playoff Appearance: 2020, 5A Division I Bi-District Round
State Championships (1): 2001 (5A D2)
State Championship Appearances (2): 1943 (1A), 2001 (5A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - at Tyler Legacy - Win 31-23
09.02 - vs Nacogdoches - Win 37-0
09.09 - at A&M Consolidated - Win 31-14
09.16 - vs Longview
09.23 - at Forney
10.07 - vs North Mesquite
10.14 - at McKinney North
10.21 - vs Tyler
10.28 - vs West Mesquite
11.04 - vs Lancaster

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: September 16th
In 1938, Don Fambrough returned two interceptions for scores while Hardy Miller rushed in a first quarter marker in a 20-6 victory for Longview over Woodrow Wilson.
In 1949, John Linney and Sonny Jones each tallied twice before Tommy Sanford hauled in a 60-yard 4th quarter score as Longview rushed all over Jacksonville, 32-0, at Lobo Stadium. The Lobos held the Indians to just 93 yards on the day.
In 1960, Don Petty scored in the final 2 minutes to tie the game at 6-6, after a missed extra point before the Lobo defense made a last second stop at their own three yard line to preserve the tie in a 6-6 deadlock with Dallas Adamson.
In 1966, Longview and Arlington battled to a 0-0 tie at Arlington State College Memorial Stadium. The two teams managed almost identical yardage, 211 for the Lobos and 212 for the Colts, on top of both teams fumbling three times.
In 1977, Greg Brown returned a kickoff 86 yards, while Dinky Edwards, Reno Hutchins, Bobby Portley and Melvin Lewis also tallied a score in a 38-19 Longview win over Dallas Roosevelt at Lobo Stadium.
In 1983, Steve Blaschke kicked a 24-yard field, Eric Harris rushed in from a yard out and O’Neal Jackson jaunted 10 yards for a score in a 17-3 victory over Abilene at Lobo Stadium.
In 1994, Chris Cox hauled in a 29-yard pass while Chris Butcher tallied twice in a 37-0 victory over Texas High at Lobo Stadium. The Lobos rushed for 254 yards on the day and managed 21 first downs.
In 1995, Isaiah Stoker and Denjuan Richardson tallied second quarter scores before Tony Cox’s 33-yard interception return sealed the victory in a 29-18 Longview win over Killeen at Leo Buckley Stadium, in a game the Lobos managed just 206 total yards.
In 2005, despite giving up 2 kickoff returns for scores in the first quarter, the Lobos came to life to dominate Evangel, 52-14. Vondrell McGee and Chris Ivory each tallied twice in a game the Lobos held the Eagles to 100 total yards.
In 2011, Lufkin took a 10-0 lead after the first quarter before the Lobo defense pitched a shut out the rest of the way in a 24-10 victory for Longview over the Pack at Lobo Stadium. Eric Hawkins hauled in a 66-yard score before Donterius Jackson and Tory White tallied scores in a game that saw the Lobos pass for 278 yards.
In 2016, Longview piled up 527 total yards in a back and forth contest with Mesquite Horn before prevailing 47-37 at Lobo Stadium. Longview held a 31-10 halftime lead before the Jags tallied four times in the 2nd half.

lobohowl2.GIF

Edited by LoboFan07
  • Thanks 1

Largest win ever by a Lobo team at Rose Stadium.

18th win in a row over Legacy. 9th in a row at Rose.

Most ever by a Longview team over a Tyler squad.

Largest margin of victory ever over a Legacy squad.

That 2nd half was rough. No way the Red Raiders had over 100 yards of offense.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Largest win ever by a Lobo team at Rose Stadium.

18th win in a row over Legacy. 9th in a row at Rose.

Most ever by a Longview team over a Tyler squad.

Largest margin of victory ever over a Legacy squad.

That 2nd half was rough. No way the Red Raiders had over 100 yards of offense.

Did they even cross the 50???

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1
  • SMH 1

When it comes to what I believe is the best rivalry in the state, toss out the records, toss out the rosters....toss out everything.

Do I believe Longview is better from top to bottom? Without question. Matter of fact if Lufkin wasn't on the opposite teams jersey...this is another blowout in favor of the 'Bos.

But the nature of this rivalry is something. It's gonna be closer than Longview fans will want it to be. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ANTI said:

When it comes to what I believe is the best rivalry in the state, toss out the records, toss out the rosters....toss out everything.

Do I believe Longview is better from top to bottom? Without question. Matter of fact if Lufkin wasn't on the opposite teams jersey...this is another blowout in favor of the 'Bos.

But the nature of this rivalry is something. It's gonna be closer than Longview fans will want it to be. 

No it want.

Lufkins passing game is just blah. We are running the ball well. Kedren young absolutely slaughtered consolidateds D. Our defense is just straight balling. Happy to be having this success after last year and with a young team. However, they ain’t seen what next week is bringing lol.. I just wanna be competitive and keep it respectable 

I’m honestly shocked. I didn’t expect this team to be playing this well until next season. Very proud of this young group, especially defense, young and the receivers. If we had a better oline and QB, i would feel better about this game. Definitely hope we win though, this is district and a rival at home. 

I’ll say this too, we have to cut out the mistakes. Too many turnovers. Lee and Consol would’ve been ugly without them imo. 

12 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Yeah man exactly. We will be 3rd in this district if not 2nd. Nobody is beating Longview this year. Period. 

You never know….but they are definitely the top dogs. Maybe with that Denton school too.  I know they lost but still talented. Pack just gotta continue to improve and stay healthy. We got a good win tonight, but still have a lot of tough games ahead when it matters. Tyler may have some bad losses but will still give us problems with their talent level imo

12 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

If we had a better oline and QB, i would feel better about this game. Definitely hope we win though, this is district and a rival at home. 

I’ll say this too, we have to cut out the mistakes. Too many turnovers. Lee and Consol would’ve been ugly without them imo. 

All big facts. Watching this Oline kills me lol Hammond is the right option out of the two we have, but man I miss the days of having a duel threat athlete that could sling it back there. As for the mistakes, we can’t have that next week unless we wanna lose by 35. We should’ve beat Lee by 5 TD’s. Probably should’ve beat Consol tonight by another 10 points or so. Can’t leave all that out there next week. 

15 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Tyler may have some bad losses but will still give us problems with their talent level imo

Idk man. 43-6 to horn is bad right now. Not necessarily losing to them but dang. By 37 and only scoring 6?? They will have to significantly improve by then. They are steadily losing confidence. That’s a sinking ship. 

10 hours ago, kingwolf said:

Did they even cross the 50???

I'll have to rewatch, but I'm almost positive they didn't.

Their best starting position all night was the 26. And one of their 2 first downs, came on a penalty. That one drive in the 2nd quarter, I believe they got to the 40 something but that was it.

• Like 2

There is no reason to think Lufkin will beat Longview. So, I will not attempt to debate that issue. The Lobos have been rolling everyone, you guys see a weakened Region II and see Denton Ryan as beatable now. To me, it's hard for me to envision anyone who will stop the Longview freight train    Lufkin surprised some folks last night, especially a really good AMC team. There will be no such surprises this week. Longview and Lufkin know each other all too well. There will be a lot of emphasis on sub varsity scores and such, but in the end the Lobos will be favored to win big, even at ABE.  Lufkin is a young and growing team, they are just looking to get better each week and distance themselves from the past two sub par seasons.  Long road ahead still for the Panthers, one big win does not define a season. Longview is top dog because they are the best in 5ADI this year, there is no doubt in my mind. 

Don't know what's wrong with Legacy and Tyler High programs, looks like they have just quit.

You won't find me much in this topic debating this week, I fully understand where Lufkin stands and their growing is a process.  Just glad this is the first game of district, and we are able to get all the normal Lufkin - Longview bantering out of the way, and move on with playing everyone else in district.  it's not like the old days between Lufkin and Longview by any stretch, and Lufkin folks are aware of that all too well.   Figure there will be a ton of folks at ABE this Friday night, lots of Lobo barking and that darn train horn.  😉

• Like 1