Gilmer (3-0) @ Lindale (2-1)

GoodOleBoy73

Gilmer @ Lindale   

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

Great game! Both teams looked really good. Gilmer just had the edge. Exciting till the very end. That being said Lindale has got to get their pass game down better. Several dropped passes and several bad throws. If they can get that going they will be tough to beat. I do think Lindale should be favored to win district

• Like 1

Okay, a few quick observations:

1.  A very nice, moving tribute to Cooper before the game.  Kudos to the Lindale PA announcer for giving the moment of silent prayer the gravity and dignity it deserved.  I don't know if other games around East Texas did this, but it was very nice.

2.  Speed kills, and no one in 4A has more speed than Will Henderson.  On both of his touchdowns, several Lindale players had the angle on him, and he just blew right past them.  Gilmer will have to find a way to give him more touches.  Ashton Haynes is a great back, but Lindale completely shut down the inside running game in the second half.  Henderson's speed on the edge was the difference in the game.

3.  Gilmer decided to kick deep the entire 2nd half.  I understand the concept behind the directional kick.  Kick it high and let your defenders get downfield, and force the other team to fair catch it around the 30.  But when they are getting runbacks of 10-30 yards, it's defeating the purpose.  Gilmer has the athletes to kick it deep and get downfield to stop a big return.  kick it deep.

4.  Lindale had a good offensive game plan.  Run the ball, get 4-5 yards a chunk, and use the run to draw the defense in and hit them with the pass.  But it didn't work for the most part.  Gilmer stopped just enough of the running game to keep Lindale from totally controlling the clock, and when they tried to hit Gilmer deep, Gilmer did pretty good most of the night stopping the pass.  Which makes the 2 biggest plays of the game so frustrating.  The big TD pass in the 3rd Quarter and the Pass that almost tied up the game in the 4th quarter were both on obvious passing downs where there was just a horrible blown coverage.  Gilmer will have to clean that up.  Best cornerback tonight was #10 for Gilmer.  He was in iso the entire night and held up well.

5.  Gilmer could never get an inside running game going tonight.  Lindale also completely shut down the screen came for Gilmer.  Their best passing plays were the quick outs into the flat.  Lindale corners were giving such a cushion that a Gilmer receiver could get a big play if he could just make one defender miss.  But Gilmer went away from that after about the first two possessions.  Not sure why.  

Really good game all around.  Neither team made many mistakes, and there were few penalties.  Henderson was the difference for the Buckeyes.  

• Like 3

Kudos to the Lindale coaching staff!!!  For the talent level and skills they have with kids wearing blue, they did EVERYTHING they could to give themselves a chance to win. That is just too much firepower to deal with, especially the Tomahawk. #22 is simply NEXT LEVEL fast. We are talking NFL level speed unleashed at the high school level. It is just not fair when he hits a crease. 

Gilmer should seriously pull a Kendall Briles and spread all those weapons sideline to sideline and go 125mph pace BLITZKRIEG, giving 17, 22, 7 and 9 ten to twelve touches in space a game. Defensively, play STRAIGHT MAN on the outside and bring 8 every snap and FORCE opponents into a track meet every game. There simply is not a team in 4A and maybe 5A (D2) with the horses to run with the Buckeyes for 4 quarters if they did that. Every coach on the schedule (including Scott in Carthage) would trade you HIS for OURS. 

Gilmer had better use these two weeks to figure out how to maximize all that talent on both sides. Because Lindale just nearly showed the world the “formula” to beat Gilmer. Had it not been for #22, they would have.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

1.  A very nice, moving tribute to Cooper before the game.  Kudos to the Lindale PA announcer for giving the moment of silent prayer the gravity and dignity it deserved.  I don't know if other games around East Texas did this, but it was very nice.

2.  Speed kills, and no one in 4A has more speed than Will Henderson.  On both of his touchdowns, several Lindale players had the angle on him, and he just blew right past them.  Gilmer will have to find a way to give him more touches.  Ashton Haynes is a great back, but Lindale completely shut down the inside running game in the second half.  Henderson's speed on the edge was the difference in the game.

3.  Gilmer decided to kick deep the entire 2nd half.  I understand the concept behind the directional kick.  Kick it high and let your defenders get downfield, and force the other team to fair catch it around the 30.  But when they are getting runbacks of 10-30 yards, it's defeating the purpose.  Gilmer has the athletes to kick it deep and get downfield to stop a big return.  kick it deep.

4.  Lindale had a good offensive game plan.  Run the ball, get 4-5 yards a chunk, and use the run to draw the defense in and hit them with the pass.  But it didn't work for the most part.  Gilmer stopped just enough of the running game to keep Lindale from totally controlling the clock, and when they tried to hit Gilmer deep, Gilmer did pretty good most of the night stopping the pass.  Which makes the 2 biggest plays of the game so frustrating.  The big TD pass in the 3rd Quarter and the Pass that almost tied up the game in the 4th quarter were both on obvious passing downs where there was just a horrible blown coverage.  Gilmer will have to clean that up.  Best cornerback tonight was #10 for Gilmer.  He was in iso the entire night and held up well.

5.  Gilmer could never get an inside running game going tonight.  Lindale also completely shut down the screen came for Gilmer.  Their best passing plays were the quick outs into the flat.  Lindale corners were giving such a cushion that a Gilmer receiver could get a big play if he could just make one defender miss.  But Gilmer went away from that after about the first two possessions.  Not sure why.  

Really good game all around.  Neither team made many mistakes, and there were few penalties.  Henderson was the difference for the Buckeyes.  

Number 10 should never come off the field as corner because 4 gets burnt every game they just pick on him. 

Whoever is calling the offensive plays for the Buckeyes needs to be relieved of this duty and a new coach needs to be calling plays. Simple as that.

Lindale is a good/solid team with a good coaching staff. The Lindale folks did a great job.

I always enjoy playing in the new stadium in Lindale. Very nice stadium and staff working there.

#22 for the Buckeyes is electric when he touches the ball.

Good luck Lindale, y`all got a good thing going with your town.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, buckeyefandom said:

Kudos to the Lindale coaching staff!!!  For the talent level and skills they have with kids wearing blue, they did EVERYTHING they could to give themselves a chance to win. That is just too much firepower to deal with, especially the Tomahawk. #22 is simply NEXT LEVEL fast. We are talking NFL level speed unleashed at the high school level. It is just not fair when he hits a crease. 

Gilmer should seriously pull a Kendall Briles and spread all those weapons sideline to sideline and go 125mph pace BLITZKRIEG, giving 17, 22, 7 and 9 ten to twelve touches in space a game. Defensively, play STRAIGHT MAN on the outside and bring 8 every snap and FORCE opponents into a track meet every game. There simply is not a team in 4A and maybe 5A (D2) with the horses to run with the Buckeyes for 4 quarters if they did that. Every coach on the schedule (including Scott in Carthage) would trade you HIS for OURS. 

Gilmer had better use these two weeks to figure out how to maximize all that talent on both sides. Because Lindale just nearly showed the world the “formula” to beat Gilmer. Had it not been for #22, they would have.

You might want to think about that statement, no team in 4A or 5A DII  can run with Gilmer. 
I definitely know a team that can. 

• Like 1

Put down the crack pipe…. Did you really just say that? I KNOW Scott will take his “horses” every single year.  Coaching is only ONE reason among many that Carthage has beaten Gilmer for 7 in a row now and it hasn’t even been close. Chill your horses.

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

We appreciate the kind words. Gilmer is a great program with great tradition. A program like Gilmer is what we’re trying to build at lindale. We are headed in that direction. Only thing I have to disagree with is the whole SS would trade his guys. I don’t think so. This may prove to be carthages best team ever this year. What Carthage did last night to a good 5A ball club Marshall…… is simply astounding. Gilmer is a very good team - no doubt. 

Edited by LetsGoEagles
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

Put down the crack pipe…. Did you really just say that? I KNOW Scott will take his “horses” every single year.  Coaching is only ONE reason among many that Carthage has beaten Gilmer for 7 in a row now and it hasn’t even been close. Chill your horses.

I am not so sure they would score a single point in the first half against Carthage. No one has so far. 
Gilmer is outstanding but you almost got beat last night with all that speed. 
Hopefully our Dawgs get a chance at that speed. Heck I am a Gilmer fan except when they play my Dawgs. 

• Like 1

Heck of a game! No doubt speed kills but i feel like lindales defense this year  did a better job forcing gilmer to punt. Kuddos to #22...kid is really fast. Lindale was a little one dimensional on offense and when we did throw the ball we had trouble catching it or it was a bad throw. I feel like lindale knows what they are going to have to work on going into district. It was an exciting game to watch. Good luck Gilmer on the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, buckeyefandom said:

Calm, calm, deep breath.

• LOL! 2

1 hour ago, mikehoncho said:

Show them grace Honcho.  They know not what they are saying….

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I am not so sure they would score a single point in the first half against Carthage. No one has so far. 
Gilmer is outstanding but you almost got beat last night with all that speed. 
Hopefully our Dawgs get a chance at that speed. Heck I am a Gilmer fan except when they play my Dawgs. 

I was thinking the same thing. They barely won and no team can mess with them. I know Carthage will beat team with no problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoyzNdaHood said:

I was surprised at limdales play calling at times... they ran that QB way to much to beat a team like gilmer.... good athlete but that's not going to get it done JMO

It’s something Lindale has struggled with for a few seasons. Odd play calling and vanilla play calling. For instance, we force a TOD with about 2:45 left in the 4th Q and what do we do on 1st down when we’re down by 8 and needing to drive about 75 yards? Run it up the middle and get stopped for a 2 yard gain….. SMH. It’s obvious the OC is hesitant to let the QB throw at times. I get it, we’ve got a big and very good offensive line. However, you have to move the ball. I agree with some previous comments, we’ve got to CATCH the ball too. Had several key drops last night and several bad snaps that were drive killers that have to be cleaned up, ESPECIALLY the snap issues at the Gilmer 2 with less than a minute to go, that was the game killer. Gilmer did not have those issues and that was the key to the loss. Both teams committed zero TO’s, so it came down to a few plays and those went Gilmer’s way. Kudos to Gilmer, they played very well. Very proud of the Eagles, this team can win district, no doubt. Get better every week and build confidence. Let’s go Eagles!!

• Like 1

A poster called 'oldbuckeye#62' who hasn't been on here since 2018 (so he may be doing it from heaven now) liked to put what he called the 'Buckeye tinkers dang hex' on opponents. So I'll give him credit wherever he is for causing the bad snap.

The new QB y'all have is a gamer. If he can learn to pass as well as tall and lanky #17 used to do, watch out.

Sam Peterson - had to look up his name. Fame is fleeting or my mind is going, one or the other.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Always love reading your recaps sir. Very good stuff

13 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

If we play Carthage they will be able to name their score. Our coaching staff tenses up with SS being on the other side it’s kinda like the coach off of waterboy lol

Gilmer’s athletic QB and quality WRs will cause Carthage problems on occasion……but unless things drastically change in 10 weeks, Carthage will definitely be the favorite.