WEEK 4: Carthage (3-0) Vs. Marshall (2-1)

Mavchamp

Week 4: Carthage (3-0) Vs. Marshall (2-1)  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Carthage in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Carthage in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

C&C - I think you should volunteer to help Mavchamp with the update this week.  You know all the history, titles, stats, etc. when it comes to the Dawgs.  I bet Mavchamp would appreciate a solid source for info since  the local news has slipped on HS sports coverage lately!  😁

I would love to, MAVCHAMP has always done a great job with the history of Marshall football. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 8:16 AM, mikehoncho said:

I personally voted for Carthage in a close one.  I know that in Week 2 Marshall was blown out by Longview, but that is Longview. I think Marshall is on the right track. If they play focused and bring all they got this will be a great game. 

If Carthage slips up and make mistakes I think the Mavs are capable of making them pay for those mistakes. 

I agree with this 100%, and also voted for Carthage to win in a close game.

2 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

Was there anything for public consumption at today's Chalk Talk at CHS?

Yes, Cuff’s progression as a QB continues and he’s making much better decisions.

We can all see that on Friday nights, but seeing it on film adds so much detail.

There are also lots of things we can improve on on both sides of the ball.  Not major issues just small tweaks in pass blocking and run blocking by the receivers.

All in all, we’re nowhere near a finished product at this point in the season and we’re expected to continue to improve.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Yes, Cuff’s progression as a QB continues and he’s making much better decisions.

We can all see that on Friday nights, but seeing it on film adds so much detail.

There are also lots of things we can improve on on both sides of the ball.  Not major issues just small tweaks in pass blocking and run blocking by the receivers.

All in all, we’re nowhere near a finished product at this point in the season and we’re expected to continue to improve.

Thanks for the report.

With as many sophomores as are starting - 2 on offense and 3 (or 4) on defense - the team shouldn't yet be anywhere close to being a finished product right now.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

Thanks for the report.

With as many sophomores as are starting - 2 on offense and 3 (or 4) on defense - the team shouldn't yet be anywhere close to being a finished product right now.

I am really surprised at how well those sophomores have played, everyone knows the speed of varsity football is night and day different from JV on down. 
You have to give a lot of credit to all those coaches from JV all the way down to seventh grade. They do a great job preparing them to play Dawg football. 

2 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I am really surprised at how well those sophomores have played, everyone knows the speed of varsity football is night and day different from JV on down. 
You have to give a lot of credit to all those coaches from JV all the way down to seventh grade. They do a great job preparing them to play Dawg football. 

Certainly, the sub-varsity coaches deserve a lot of credit.

I found it interesting when I learned years ago that under Coach Surratt, all of the varsity staff, with the exception of the two coordinators and himself, were also assigned to work a portion of each day with the JV or freshmen.  Half of them worked with the JV and half with the freshmen.  I suspect this is still the case.  The win-loss record of the sub-varsity teams over the years is very impressive; it's not all because of the playing talent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cowboyandchrist said:

How many of these Soph got to play varsity at end of district and playoffs last year?

4 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

How many of these Soph got to play varsity at end of district and playoffs last year?

One started against P G and maybe another game or 2...............Another played with the 2's towards the end of the season - but not at the position he is playing this year.

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

One started against P G and maybe another game or 2...............Another played with the 2's towards the end of the season - but not at the position he is playing this year.

Thanks.  Point being they got some extra varsity work at the end of last year and were not starting from zero.  I suspect y’all will have the same scenario next year with the current 9th graders.

56 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Thanks.  Point being they got some extra varsity work at the end of last year and were not starting from zero.  I suspect y’all will have the same scenario next year with a free current 9th graders.

You are right and from everything that I have been told and from the scores of their games. They have many talented players with size and speed. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

#4 is their lead rusher, but the backup RB is also a quality RB.

Both of their backs are talented backs. The freshmen RB that isn't on varsity yet is probably their most talented guy though. I'll be interested to see if he gets any playing time on varsity this season. Marshall has the potential to turn this into a fantastic contest this year.

Of course everyone thinks Carthage is going to win. It's what Carthage does, and we've already established a large portion of Bulldog nation thinks Surratt is a god amongst all other coaches on the sidelines.

As long as the turnover machine doesn't hit the Mavs again, Marshall should be in this going into late in the 2nd half.

9 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Both of their backs are talented backs. The freshmen RB that isn't on varsity yet is probably their most talented guy though. I'll be interested to see if he gets any playing time on varsity this season. Marshall has the potential to turn this into a fantastic contest this year.

Of course everyone thinks Carthage is going to win. It's what Carthage does, and we've already established a large portion of Bulldog nation thinks Surratt is a god amongst all other coaches on the sidelines.

As long as the turnover machine doesn't hit the Mavs again, Marshall should be in this going into late in the 2nd half.

My opinion is this game will not be decided until into the fourth quarter.

This version of the Bulldogs is not peak Carthage by any stretch, but it’s an offense that is improved over last year. 
When a coach wins 8 state championships and very well could’ve won two more during his run (and it’s not over yet) then yes, he’s considered in very high regard.

And folks like Matt Stepp, etc have already said if he retired today he’s an immediate Texas high school football HOF member.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

As Carthage also has a very talented RB (2nd fastest kid in the CHS program behind Noah Paddie), this week’s freshman game should be a football fan’s delight.

@LoboFan07, put it this way, what would your feelings be about King and King versus other coaches in your mind if he’d won even half as many state championships at Longview, then if he’d won 8 and been to multiple semifinals with multiple 40+ game win streaks sprinkled in?

Then the aspect of that’s your hometown and your high school’s HC not just a coach you know of from a distance.

Put yourself in our shoes, and I do believe you’ll fully understand why we’re enamored with our football coach. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

You don’t just go win 8 championships by not being an elite coach that is top tier. 

Carthage and Longview are not in the same classification and there is no competition between the two, just like there is no competition between Surratt and King. (Yes I am aware that over the years there have been Carthage fans who have wanted to play “what if” games. I personally am not a fan of doing that and I think most, not all, years the difference in classification would show.)

I’m only saying this because the way you phrased your comment about Carthage fans and Surratt made it sound like you were discrediting him just a bit.

• Thanks 1