WEEK 4: Carthage (3-0) Vs. Marshall (2-1)

Mavchamp

Week 4: Carthage (3-0) Vs. Marshall (2-1)  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Carthage in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Carthage in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

I believe the Dawg D is for real, you would have to add the three teams total yards to make a hundred yards in the first half and zero points in the first three games. If not for pulling starters, it would have been 3 shut outs. 
I think Kilgore and Corner Stone both had good D lines, but the Dawgs have outstanding skilled players. Hatten is a freak, he catches the impossible passes, Paddy is super fast that can make DB’S break ankles with his cuts. Number 88 at 6’3”” and 200 lbs has great hands and he can scoot. 
Both running backs are very physical that also can break tackles. 
I look for a very physical game on both sides of the ball. 
The most disciplined team will win this game. 

23 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Marshall's freshmen class is pretty solid if I must say so.

They must do everything that they can to keep that group intact.

Biggest class we've had in a loooong time.  And the class behind them is even bigger from what I hear.

Numbers are a tad down this year....esp with the upperclassmen.... so we should get back to our normal levels next year or the year after.

The RB on the freshman squad coupled with Semaj Gatson (Sophomore on Varsity this year) could be our thunder and lightning starting next year and going for the next 2-3 seasons.

JV is depleted.....all their best players are on varsity to give us at least a little depth.

Pregame article to the MNM and LNJ:

The Marshall Mavericks will be facing off against a number one team for the second time in three weeks as the top ranked 4A Division II Carthage Bulldogs come to Maverick Stadium Friday night.

Carthage (3-0) has been the Flagship program of East Texas football as they enter the season as the favorite for the 4A-D2 title, which would be their ninth in program history.

Marshall (2-1) is wrapping up a brutal non-district schedule that included #24 Tyler, #1 Longview, Henderson, and #1 Carthage.  They will open district 8-5A play next week when they host the Pine Tree Pirates.

The Mavs will be looking to establish their ground game this week as running backs JQ Davis and Davernious "Bird" Robinson have combined for 689 yards and seven touchdowns in their first three contests.

Davis, who was the district offensive MVP last season, leads with 403 yards on 61 carries.  That's an average of 6.6 yards per carry.

Robinson has 286 yards for on 32 carries for an average of 8.9 yards per carry.

Quarterback Collier Slone has racked up 291 yards passing with 4 touchdown passes and two interceptions.

His favorite targets have been wide receivers Jacorey and Zach Smith.  Five different Mavs had had completions thus far this season.

Marshall's defense has been strong this season.  They held Henderson to just 73 yards rushing and 96 passing last week.

The Mavericks enter the game averaging 31.3 PPG on offense while allowing 28 PPG.  Take away the loss to Longview and that average drops to 18 PPG surrendered.

Carthage enters the game with 5-star recruit Montrell Hatten at wide receiver.  He currently has 197 yards on 10 catches for 7 scores.  An average of 19.7 yards per catch.

Noah Paddie also has 183 yards in receptions on 10 catches for an average of 18.3 yards per catch.

Running back LaRandion Dowden has 130 yards on 17 carries thus far this season.

The Bulldogs are lead on the field by quarterback Connor cuff, who has 546 yards passing thus far this season.

Marshall leads the overall series Vs. Carthage (11-6-2) in a match up that dates back to 1941.  The Mavs had won six consecutive games (1972-1981) before Carthage broke through in 2018 with a heart-stopping 35-32 win.

Kickoff is set for 7:30 at Maverick Stadium on Friday night.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Pregame article to the MNM and LNJ:

The Marshall Mavericks will be facing off against a number one team for the second time in three weeks as the top ranked 4A Division II Carthage Bulldogs come to Maverick Stadium Friday night.

Carthage (3-0) has been the Flagship program of East Texas football as they enter the season as the favorite for the 4A-D2 title, which would be their ninth in program history.

Marshall (2-1) is wrapping up a brutal non-district schedule that included #24 Tyler, #1 Longview, Henderson, and #1 Carthage.  They will open district 8-5A play next week when they host the Pine Tree Pirates.

The Mavs will be looking to establish their ground game this week as running backs JQ Davis and Davernious "Bird" Robinson have combined for 689 yards and seven touchdowns in their first three contests.

Davis, who was the district offensive MVP last season, leads with 403 yards on 61 carries.  That's an average of 6.6 yards per carry.

Robinson has 286 yards for on 32 carries for an average of 8.9 yards per carry.

Quarterback Collier Slone has racked up 291 yards passing with 4 touchdown passes and two interceptions.

His favorite targets have been wide receivers Jacorey and Zach Smith.  Five different Mavs had had completions thus far this season.

Marshall's defense has been strong this season.  They held Henderson to just 73 yards rushing and 96 passing last week.

The Mavericks enter the game averaging 31.3 PPG on offense while allowing 28 PPG.  Take away the loss to Longview and that average drops to 18 PPG surrendered.

Carthage enters the game with 5-star recruit Montrell Hatten at wide receiver.  He currently has 197 yards on 10 catches for 7 scores.  An average of 19.7 yards per catch.

Noah Paddie also has 183 yards in receptions on 10 catches for an average of 18.3 yards per catch.

Running back LaRandion Dowden has 130 yards on 17 carries thus far this season.

The Bulldogs are lead on the field by quarterback Connor cuff, who has 546 yards passing thus far this season.

Marshall leads the overall series Vs. Carthage (11-6-2) in a match up that dates back to 1941.  The Mavs had won six consecutive games (1972-1981) before Carthage broke through in 2018 with a heart-stopping 35-32 win.

Kickoff is set for 7:30 at Maverick Stadium on Friday night.

Mavchamp - good work.  I’d double check the bold items before printing.  Hatten is a 4-star and your stats look like you are missing a game.

11 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Mavchamp - good work.  I’d double check the bold items before printing.  Hatten is a 4-star and your stats look like you are missing a game.

thanks!  I'll see if I can get those corrected in time!

5 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

This should get you current on all except the RB.

Cuff - 808 yards w/ 11 TD’s & 0 INT’s

Hatten - 17 rec for 353 & 6 TD’s

Paddie - 10 rec for 226 & 3 TD’s

Haha I was about to say, it sure felt like a lot more than that initial line. 

1 hour ago, PantherNation2015 said:

The 9th A game should be a Thurs night bonus then.

The mavs freshman team has suffered a couple key injuries. Not sure if they've returned, as I missed last weeks game. I believe they barely beat Henderson. 

2 hours ago, The Real Mavfan said:

I can honestly say i have no clue how this game will turn out. I can see a Carthage blowout if the Mavs make mistakes early but i can also see Marshall keeping it close with physical play of both sides of the ball.

It is true we start a freshman at right tackle Eric Perkins (Big Perk) and he is a HUGE young man! I have to say he held his own vs Longview and if he plays (missed the Henderson game with a concussion) i think he will be just fine.

My keys of the game for Marshall are of course limiting costly mistakes/penalties. Our o-line playing physical against Carthage big boys on that d-line to run the ball effectively and keeping the Dawg offense off the field. And the defensive front getting constant pressure on the qb.

I have a hard time seeing a Carthage blowout.  I believe the Dawgs are legit 4AD2 title contenders, but I think Marshall is too good to get blown out.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

808 passing yards in three games is just stupid.

Ya'll been playing the Texas Blind Academy?  lmao..

Those are 6 man numbers.

Wowzers.

And most of those stats are from playing only about a half. The Pitt stats were the result of only a little more than 1.5 qtrs

Edited by bossman1
Grammar

1 hour ago, mav01 said:

I believe Carthage would be a legit 4a D1 title contender as well. If they were in our division they would be a legit top 10 team.  Carthage vs Texas High would be a game to see as well. 

I agree.  It would be interesting to see how the two teams match up.  Additionally, it would be fun to watch Coach Surratt's present school go against his former school, where he was Offensive Coordinator for a state championship team.

2 hours ago, mav01 said:

I believe Carthage would be a legit 4a D1 title contender as well. If they were in our division they would be a legit top 10 team.  Carthage vs Texas High would be a game to see as well. 

Yeah, Carthage doesn’t care 4A-D1 or 4A-D2, we’ve won both divisions - just wherever the numbers put us..

Edited by HearEmaGrowlin

On 9/13/2022 at 9:11 PM, PantherNation2015 said:

Let’s heat it up a little.  Marshall fans - why do you think the Mavs will be able to successfully run the ball on a Carthage front 7 that hasn’t given up much on the ground in three games?  And Carthage fans - how will the Dawgs stay balanced on O vs arguable the best defense you will have faced all year?

Marshall D-Line will be the best Carthage O-Line has seen. But again Marshall secondary is extremely extremely weak. If the Dawg O-Line could hold of Marshall D-Line then I don’t think it will go well for Marshall.

I do see Marshall shortening the game tremendously to have a chance late if it is close. I honestly think the dawgs could load the box just bc I don’t think Marshall QB is very good. If the dawgs can keep Marshall in second and third long then I like the dawgs chances of this being a 10-17 point spread. 

but on the flip side if Marshall D-Line can cause havoc I could see this game coming down to who has the ball last. I do know if we get Marshall behind early it could spell trouble for them really quick. 

• Like 1