Jump to content

WEEK 4: Carthage (3-0) Vs. Marshall (2-1)


Mavchamp
 Share

Week 4: Carthage (3-0) Vs. Marshall (2-1)  

79 members have voted

  1. 1. Who you got?

    • Carthage in a close one
      42
    • Marshall in a close one
      16
    • Carthage in a blowout
      20
    • Marshall in a blowout
      1

This poll is closed to new votes


Recommended Posts

Just now, RogerDorn said:

Imo best game in Etx this week... hoping both teams come away healthy and make a deep run in the playoffs ! 

I agree! I got nothing but excitement and hopes for Marshall after this, regardless of the outcome. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let’s heat it up a little.  Marshall fans - why do you think the Mavs will be able to successfully run the ball on a Carthage front 7 that hasn’t given up much on the ground in three games?  And Carthage fans - how will the Dawgs stay balanced on O vs arguable the best defense you will have faced all year?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Let’s heat it up a little.  Marshall fans - why do you think the Mavs will be able to successfully run the ball on a Carthage front 7 that hasn’t given up much on the ground in three games?  And Carthage fans - how will the Dawgs stay balanced on O vs arguable the best defense you will have faced all year?

This will be a real test for the O-line. Dawgs struggled pass blocking early against Cornerstone last week. Definitely need to get a push in the running game too. I think that will determine the outcome of this game and the trajectory of this team going forward. The Dawgs have the skill players to be special, but the battle in the trenches are going to be the difference between a good playoff run and playing for a ring.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JBizzle said:

This will be a real test for the O-line. Dawgs struggled pass blocking early against Cornerstone last week. Definitely need to get a push in the running game too. I think that will determine the outcome of this game and the trajectory of this team going forward. The Dawgs have the skill players to be special, but the battle in the trenches are going to be the difference between a good playoff run and playing for a ring.

Can Marshall establish the run early and often like they did vs Tyler & Henderson?  Or will the Mavs find the Dawg defense to be similar to the Lobos?

Edited by PantherNation2015
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Can Marshall establish the run early and often like they did vs Tyler & Henderson?  Or will the Mavs find the Dawg defense to be similar to the Lobos?

I would say the dawg defense may be close to Lobo defense and Marshall may,have problems with it early.im sure they will get theirs but gonna have to work for it,and that's what this game is about...getting better,Marshall didn't schedule this game as a cake walk,they schedule it for struggle and getting better going forward...just my opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Can Marshall establish the run early and often like they did vs Tyler & Henderson?  Or will the Mavs find the Dawg defense to be similar to the Lobos?

I think that is a question to be answered.  This defense has played lights out thus far, but I don't think they have come close to playing a team with the physicality they will see from Marshall.  This game will really tell us where this young defense is at.  I expect Marshall to score some points.  I don't think Carthage holds them like they have the 3 previous teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mikehoncho said:

We don’t have two freshman teams. Unless they are gonna try and make it work for this week. Lol

Hmm. That’s a good question. 

Last week the freshman A team played Henderson freshman and the B team got the Sabine JV because Henderson didn’t have a freshman B team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JBizzle said:

I think that is a question to be answered.  This defense has played lights out thus far, but I don't think they have come close to playing a team with the physicality they will see from Marshall.  This game will really tell us where this young defense is at.  I expect Marshall to score some points.  I don't think Carthage holds them like they have the 3 previous teams.

I think I read where Marshall starts a true freshman at OT.  6’6 275.  Curious to see how he handles the athletic DE’’s from Carthage, especially on passing downs.  Inside will be big on big.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Mikielee00 said:

 I don't see Carthage as a huge threat to blow Marshall out. They could win but I don't really see that happening from what I've seen of Carthage. Same talk as always from Carthage, the last time Carthage won against Marshall, Marshall was not good that year the one year Marshall was decent was when Carthage won by 3. Marshall had a lot of drama going on that year within the team. I think Carthage is about to get humble pie. 

From my perspective, Mikie…you might be on to something. I think the Mavs take this one.

  • Wow 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I think I read where Marshall starts a true freshman at OT.  6’6 275.  Curious to see how he handles the athletic DE’’s from Carthage, especially on passing downs.  Inside will be big on big.

Good lord thats a huge freshman.  Just huge in general. lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I think I read where Marshall starts a true freshman at OT.  6’6 275.  Curious to see how he handles the athletic DE’’s from Carthage, especially on passing downs.  Inside will be big on big.

 

Mavchamp or other knowledgeable Marshall fan,

Is this true about a freshman starter at OT?  How many sophomores or freshmen start for the Mavericks? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

 

Mavchamp or other knowledgeable Marshall fan,

Is this true about a freshman starter at OT?  How many sophomores or freshmen start for the Mavericks? 

Yes it's true. Although he sat out with an injury vs Henderson last week. I don't think we have but maybe 2 soph starters total. There's also a couple that get limited playing time, but we are mostly Sr's and Jr's on Varsity this year. 

I'm willing to bet Carthage will have more depth than us this year. We only have 35-40 on Varsity during any given week. 

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eric Perkins at RT is a freshman
Judson Illingsworth (TE/LB) is a Sophomore

Gatson (RB) is a Sophomore.  Although he really doesn't start.  He's been coming in later in the games.  Seems to have some great legs.

Everyone else is pretty much a Jr/Sr

We had 8 starters return on each side of the ball..... we were young last year.  Lots of Juniors on this year's team.  Good seniors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can honestly say i have no clue how this game will turn out. I can see a Carthage blowout if the Mavs make mistakes early but i can also see Marshall keeping it close with physical play of both sides of the ball.

It is true we start a freshman at right tackle Eric Perkins (Big Perk) and he is a HUGE young man! I have to say he held his own vs Longview and if he plays (missed the Henderson game with a concussion) i think he will be just fine.

My keys of the game for Marshall are of course limiting costly mistakes/penalties. Our o-line playing physical against Carthage big boys on that d-line to run the ball effectively and keeping the Dawg offense off the field. And the defensive front getting constant pressure on the qb.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...