Harmony vs De Kalb  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Harmony
    • De Kalb

This poll is closed to new votes

11 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Harmony gets in the win Column this week! 28-24

I don't think they do. Harmony is off to the slowest offensive start in the last 10 years of the program and in my opinion you have to link that to the fact they went away from their strength and went spread. Its what everyone wanted and its what they are now getting. I see harmony starting 0-4 for the first time in 10 years and then roll in to a hard district schedule where they could possibly be 0-6 thru the first two games of district. My opinion doesn't matter but when the thread was being discussed last year on getting rid of Coach Russell and bringing in a spread guy so they can run the spread I do recall commenting and arguing with someone on it that Harmony would struggle in the spread because it isn't their make up. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Destry said:

Man of wisdom. I have said it before and I will say it again—- some want the spread because it is the fad. As one coach said to his assistants “ man we got to run the gun and spread “.  That coach is a good guy but……..

It isn't for everyone! But everyone thinks they have to run it because its what all the schools are doing and yet they don't realize some schools dont have those type of athletes to run it. I used quitman for example on that thread about russell. Quitman thought they were going to be part of the fad and in the last 13 years they have won less than 20 ball games. It wasn't until Coach Webber came back and put them back under center that they started competing and winning again. Once again I am not a world class coach or genius but the spread isn't for everyone. I feel like spread does take away the mentality of smash mouth grind you down football and kids don't have that tenacity in the spread offense. Lot of zone schemes not a lot of let me line up and put you on your back for a pancake. What we fail to realize is these schools like gilmer and carthage could run the swinging gate for an offense and still win. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, theprodigy said:

I don't think they do. Harmony is off to the slowest offensive start in the last 10 years of the program and in my opinion you have to link that to the fact they went away from their strength and went spread. Its what everyone wanted and its what they are now getting. I see harmony starting 0-4 for the first time in 10 years and then roll in to a hard district schedule where they could possibly be 0-6 thru the first two games of district. My opinion doesn't matter but when the thread was being discussed last year on getting rid of Coach Russell and bringing in a spread guy so they can run the spread I do recall commenting and arguing with someone on it that Harmony would struggle in the spread because it isn't their make up. 

Good post! It's been since the 2010 season. That's the year the Head Coach got reassigned during 2 a days and they talked Coach Russell who was the Defensive Coordinator for State Champion Gilmer into coming in right before the Season and taking over. Kudos to Coach Traylor for releasing him to come back. The very next season Russell led Harmony to the 3rd round. The deepest the Program has ever gone. Good post and you are 100% correct. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Good post! It's been since the 2010 season. That's the year the Head Coach got reassigned during 2 a days and they talked Coach Russell who was the Defensive Coordinator for State Champion Gilmer into coming in right before the Season and taking over. Kudos to Coach Traylor for releasing him to come back. The very next season Russell led Harmony to the 3rd round. The deepest the Program has ever gone. Good post and you are 100% correct. 

Not a big deal, and agree with just about everything you said here… but I’m pretty sure Coach Barr was the DC at Gilmer for Traylor from day 1 until he retired a couple years ago, and then Tommy Edwards became DC. Coach Russell is a fantastic coach, and even better man. Just not sure if he was the DC at Gilmer when he was there.