Celina vs Anna

TCU44

Celina vs. Anna  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

Neither team has played a very good schedule. Celina’s has been awful. Anna’s a touch better. But Decatur is pretty meh, Aubrey is down from what they have been, and Van Alsytne is in a big rebuilding year.

That said, Anna is pretty solid. Never in my life did I think I’d see a top 10 matchup between Celina and Anna. Never. But the Coyotes appear to be for real in 2022.

They are senior heavy. Possess a good amount of speed at the skill positions, and have a QB that can beat you a few different ways.

Anna will be the best team Celina has played thus far, and probably best they’ll see until the playoffs - which scares me.

Celina will far and away be the best team Anna has played too, and that will probably be true into the playoffs too.

Bobcats defense is fast, athletic and tough. They’re gonna create some problems for the Anna offense, which struggled against Aubrey and needed a last-second hook-n-lateral miracle to win. Anna QB will have to make a ton of throws with pressure in his face.

Offensively, things could get interesting for the Bobcats. Could see No. 3 and 4 RBs on the depth chart lead the way. Gayton has not played since week 1 (and that was sparingly) and Peterson, our top back so far, went out with some sort of injury last week. Have no idea what it was or his status. But if neither of them are in the game, it could create some issues for Celina.

Fortunately, Will Taylor and Harrison Williams have gotten tons of carries already. Both are more than capable backs. Could even see senior TE/H-Back Caden Mitchell tote the rock some this week. Bentley will most likely use his legs on some designed runs more too.

End of the day, no matter the RB situation, I like Celina in this one. Good measuring stick for the Bobcats.

I believe they have a Division 1 RB Jambres "Breezy" Dubar committed to Boise State already.  I remember him being quite a back last year.  Argyle's MLB Grant Mirabal announced his commitment to Boise State early this season also.  I guess they will be teammates at the next level.  Congrats to both.

9 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I believe they have a Division 1 RB Jambres "Breezy" Dubar committed to Boise State already.  I remember him being quite a back last year.  Argyle's MLB Grant Mirabal announced his commitment to Boise State early this season also.  I guess they will be teammates at the next level.  Congrats to both.

This is not the Anna of old, that's for sure.

I don't know what kind of depth they have, but their 1's are going to be solid. Celina's best bet in this game is to jump out early and reinforce any doubt or imposter syndrome Anna might have tucked away.

For all my oldest brothers out there, it's a bit like playing a younger sibling in anything. Come out hard, fast and aggressive and remind them right off the bat they're still the little brother.

1 hour ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

Awesome to see Anna in a big time game. I always thought they had the athletes to be where they are, but always seemed to underachieve. Coach Parr must be doing an outstanding job with these guys.

They’re in a situation to be the next “Melissa” in my opinion. They definitely have the guys to play at a high level now. Just have to have that breakthrough moment and breakthrough season to get momentum in the program.

I just don’t want that moment to be Friday lol.

• Like 1

This will most definitely be a "game to watch" this week in 4A-D1 Region 2.  Nobody really knows just how good Celina is yet.....not even YOU, d0tc0m!!  And now we get to see the "upstart" Anna Coyotes in a really important early matchup against the Celina Bobcats......this should be a very good game IMHO.  I look for a close game not decided until late......and quite honestly have not seen either team play or any clips so far.  And I really don't think watching clips would do any good anyway.

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

This will most definitely be a "game to watch" this week in 4A-D1 Region 2.  Nobody really knows just how good Celina is yet.....not even YOU, d0tc0m!!  And now we get to see the "upstart" Anna Coyotes in a really important early matchup against the Celina Bobcats......this should be a very good game IMHO.  I look for a close game not decided until late......and quite honestly have not seen either team play or any clips so far.  And I really don't think watching clips would do any good anyway.

Anything I claim to "know" you can take with a grain of salt anyway lol.

I think you can look at the body of work so far from both teams. I think you look at individual matchups, group matchups, etc. Both teams have done what good teams should do against mediocre schedules ... leave no doubt. From what I've seen of Anna, I would say Celina's defensive line is going to cause problems for the Coyote's offensive line. Anna's QB will have to adjust to a fairly relentless pressure that comes from a few different looks.

The other thing Celina did last week that really impressed me was disguise their defensive coverage pre-snap. the Spring Legacy (can't remember the rest of the school name) QB never could adjust to it. He began his night having some success. Very accurate young man with a good arm. But once Celina started messing with his reads before the snap, he never recovered. Add that onto the constant pressure, and it turned into a long night for him. I'd like to see the Bobcats do the same thing this week against the Coyotes. Make that Div. I QB adjust on the fly.

Celina's defense has scored at least once in every game so far, and I believe has five TDs already on the year. They scored twice in the opener and twice last week to go along with a safety. I can't remember if they scored once or twice in week two. Either way, that unit is putting up points and creating massive separation. I look for them to continue to push the issue against Anna.

Offensively, I honestly don't know. With the RB situation possibly in flux, there could be some different looks for the Bobcats. I know that Celina will have a ton of size and strength in the trenches, and a pair of receivers in Jack Brown and Caden Mitchell who should get plenty of touches. Could see the Bobcats lean more heavily on the air attack this week than the ground game. But who knows. I'm speaking out of turn a bit, because I don't know the status of the RBs.

Anna if I’m not mistaken is the largest 4A D1 school in the state and with Argyle/Melissa moving up as well. It’s definitely a recipe for a breakout year for the Coyotes. Big bad Celina still looms over this area as the superior 4A and below program. These two years before they make the jump to 5A could potentially treat Anna well.

29 minutes ago, collincountyfootball1 said:

Anna if I’m not mistaken is the largest 4A D1 school in the state and with Argyle/Melissa moving up as well. It’s definitely a recipe for a breakout year for the Coyotes. Big bad Celina still looms over this area as the superior 4A and below program. These two years before they make the jump to 5A could potentially treat Anna well.

Anna is top 20, but not biggest in 4A Div. I. I believe they've got like a 200-220-ish different in students over Celina.

Anna has the numbers to compete. They've just never been able to do that. That program has spent years being scheduled as other teams' Homecoming game. Probably not wise for the opposition to do that now. But, it usually takes a lot to overcome a history of losing. It appears the Coyotes are on the right track, though.

One anecdote about this game: This year marks the 50th anniversary since Anna's last win over Celina.

I don't think any Anna fans even know this site exists.  It would be great if they got at least one lousy vote in the poll.  I'ma thinkin' only Anna fans would vote for Anna in this game......but I could be wrong.  Maybe there's some viewers here that are Celina haters and will vote for Anna....LOL.  They do it to Argyle all the time.

On 9/12/2022 at 9:24 PM, regaleagle said:

I don't think any Anna fans even know this site exists.  It would be great if they got at least one lousy vote in the poll.  I'ma thinkin' only Anna fans would vote for Anna in this game......but I could be wrong.  Maybe there's some viewers here that are Celina haters and will vote for Anna....LOL.  They do it to Argyle all the time.

Everyone in East Texas respects both Celina and Argyle. 
Both teams have accomplishments that earned that respect. I doubt you find any true Texas high school football fan that would say anything bad about either program. 

The Bears complete a long one down to the 8 yd line.  Argyle's D holds on 4 downs after 3 consecutive running plays and timeouts by the Bears.  On 4th and go from the 2 Reggie Williams runs to the right and throws it incomplete.....pass broken up by Argyle.....with 10 secs. left in the half.

Argyle 17

Montgomery 7 

halftime